Float reels are over rated technique

thalweg

I used to crank fish in with spinning gear, that's how I learned back in the early 80's.....I could NEVER go back to doing that.

I've never tried float fishing with a baitcaster and I own 8 or 9. Lots of what you mention makes sense on paper but I like the 1 to 1 feel I get fighting fish on the pin. I like to feel the head shakes right through the handles and put the brakes on a sreamer with my fingers, not with a drag.

The baitcaster is a machine invented to make fishing easier......the float reel is a simple spool, pin and bearings. If a fish runs straight at me at 100 miles and hour and gets off, she deserves the win. I get great satisfaction from fishing big water with the center pin because every fish landed is a fish earned. I don't think I am a purist but I live for the challenge and my experience with the fish during the fight is what I remember and talk about with buddies the most. I know from my spinning days that this experience wouldn't be the same with a baitcaster for me anyway.

P.S. I Can't really understand the comments about pins looking better in pictures and colors etc.....I see tons of "bling" in baitcasters too. Perhaps there are people that buy float gear to look the part but I see tons of "baitcasters" in $60K bassboats that couldn't pitch a jig 20 feet to save thier life.....that happens in all sports.

just my opinion on the topic, to each their own.

RR

Like all techniques and steelhead fishing in general...you'll have good days and bad days regardless of your gear. Aside from what you use, knowing how to read water and what the fish want that particular day is the most important element.

When I first started centerpinning it was really a massive advantage and it did improve my catch numbers, but I also believe it was just time on the water and getting to know steelhead well enough to have alot of confidence. I'm sure that if I went back to spinning gear I would do about just as well but miss those couple fish that you just can't get to because they require longer drifts or you miss as you open bail etc...

Whats really tough but probably the most gratifying way to catch steelhead is with a flyrod...both nymphing and swinging. I find one good steelie on the flyrod worth ten on any other outfit. I usually bring it with me when conditions are perfect for the fly...super clear water and bright sunny days. After a decade or so with the float reel I would exclusively hunt them with a fly rod. It takes discipline I'll tell ya. Especially when your buddies around you stick with their float gear and nail them around you. But again the challenge of hooking them and an incredible fight on fly gear with a successful landing....doesn't get any better than that. Its by no means a numbers technique (occasionally you'll nail em more than the roe baggers particularily after they've seen a blizzard of roe bags come by them through-out the day).

I just find the baitcaster a nice switch from the fly-rod (I'm in a numbers mode again) and a much more satisfying method to fish than the centrepin maybe becaust its just a new way...and I like changing things up now and then.

Like all techniques and steelhead fishing in general...you'll have good days and bad days regardless of your gear. Aside from what you use, knowing how to read water and what the fish want that particular day is the most important element.

When I first started centerpinning it was really a massive advantage and it did improve my catch numbers, but I also believe it was just time on the water and getting to know steelhead well enough to have alot of confidence. I'm sure that if I went back to spinning gear I would do about just as well but miss those couple fish that you just can't get to because they require longer drifts or you miss as you open bail etc...

Whats really tough but probably the most gratifying way to catch steelhead is with a flyrod...both nymphing and swinging. I find one good steelie on the flyrod worth ten on any other outfit. I usually bring it with me when conditions are perfect for the fly...super clear water and bright sunny days. After a decade or so with the float reel I would exclusively hunt them with a fly rod. It takes discipline I'll tell ya. Especially when your buddies around you stick with their float gear and nail them around you. But again the challenge of hooking them and an incredible fight on fly gear with a successful landing....doesn't get any better than that. Its by no means a numbers technique (occasionally you'll nail em more than the roe baggers particularily after they've seen a blizzard of roe bags come by them through-out the day).

I just find the baitcaster a nice switch from the fly-rod (I'm in a numbers mode again) and a much more satisfying method to fish than the centrepin maybe becaust its just a new way...and I like changing things up now and then.

Once again I agree completely.

Especially about the discipline needed to stick with the fly when your buddies are smashing them on float gear.

Been there done that. :)

I've never tried float fishing with a baitcaster and I own 8 or 9. Lots of what you mention makes sense on paper but I like the 1 to 1 feel I get fighting fish on the pin. I like to feel the head shakes right through the handles and put the brakes on a sreamer with my fingers, not with a drag.

The baitcaster is a machine invented to make fishing easier......the float reel is a simple spool, pin and bearings. If a fish runs straight at me at 100 miles and hour and gets off, she deserves the win. I get great satisfaction from fishing big water with the center pin because every fish landed is a fish earned. I don't think I am a purist but I live for the challenge and my experience with the fish during the fight is what I remember and talk about with buddies the most.

P.S. I Can't really understand the comments about pins looking better in pictures and colors etc.....I see tons of "bling" in baitcasters too. Perhaps there are people that buy float gear to look the part but I see tons of "baitcasters" in $60K bassboats that couldn't pitch a jig 20 feet to save thier life.....

RR

Well said!!!