Cheap BC Fishing Trip

troutologist

Folks,

Ive been thinking about steelhead fishing a little too much these days and was contemplating a trip to BC or Washington. I was hoping someone had undertaken such a trip before and could pass on some experiences.

What I was looking to do is either drive out or find a seat sale and fly out subsequently aquiring a rental car. Hoping to sleep in the car or camp to keep costs down. Basically Im looking to do a little tour of some rivers out there as wallet friendly as possible.

Any help with experience, resources or contacts would be appreciated. This is in the fledgling stage of planning at this point.

Thanks

Jay,

I know a guy that works for Sea Lamprey, the doc may know him as well...he has done the washington or oregon trips a few times. He lives in the Sault..i will pm you his name...as I said Luc may now how to contact him better for ideas and prices.

I hate to tell you this, but you ain't gonna do it cheap!!!!! :angry:

You may be able to get there cheap and find accomodations and food at reasonable prices, but licensing will kill you in BC.

You need 1/ fishing licens 2/ steelhead stamp 3/ classified waters license.

The classified waters fees are $20/ day for class 2 rated waters and $40/day for class 1 waters.

You have to purchase your classified waters license for the river you are going to fish on the day you want to fish it.

If you purchase a class 1 license for the MORICE RIVER say for October 21 and it blows out, well you either fish mud or find another river to fish that isn't blown and pay for it.

I'm eventually going to fish BC but it will most likely be when I retire and move there.

Residents pay $10 for the whole year to fish classified waters.

There are 52 classified steelhead rivers in BC (the best ones) so there are non-classified waters you can fish, but if I'm going to BC to fish chrome I want to fish the best rivers, don't you?

Really interested in going myself too – I’ve been jonesing for a trip there for quite some time. Back in 2007 I was so close to going to my uncle’s fishing cottage near Bella Coolla near the Dean – unfortunately he couldn’t get time off from work for a couple weeks. You can try asking the folks on the Fish BC forum. Great bunch of people there too and they gave me great tips for when I eventually make my way out there. From my own research, I can echo what Dave said about licences…Fishing the Dean was going to cost me big :blink:

Really interested in going myself too – I’ve been jonesing for a trip there for quite some time. Back in 2007 I was so close to going to my uncle’s fishing cottage near Bella Coolla near the Dean – unfortunately he couldn’t get time off from work for a couple weeks. You can try asking the folks on the Fish BC forum. Great bunch of people there too and they gave me great tips for when I eventually make my way out there. From my own research, I can echo what Dave said about licences…Fishing the Dean was going to cost me big :blink:

The Dean is a river all by it's self in terms of licensing.

There are Class 1 and Class 2 sections plus there is a draw to get to fish it depending on if you're Canadian or not. :wallbash:

Dean River Draw

All anglers are required to buy a Classified Waters Licence to fish the classified portions of the Dean River (see Region 5 table [PDF 2.11MB] for specific areas and dates). There are no limits on the number of days which a Canadian resident may fish the classified portions of the Dean River. A Non-Resident Alien (someone who is not a resident of Canada) is allowed only one Classified Waters Licence for the Dean River, and may only fish one classified portion (Class I or Class II) of the Dean River for a maximum of 8 consecutive days per year regardless of whether guided or unguided.

A non-guided Non-Resident Alien wishing to fish the Dean River from Crag Creek to signs 500m above the canyon must enter an annual limited entry draw held in March.

(Please note that the Dean River below signs in the lower canyon is a Class I Water and classified from June 1 to September 30. This section is NOT included in the annual Dean River Draw.)

Applications for the draw can be obtained by writing to the address below. You can also download the form below:

Dean River Draw Information Package [PDF 37KB]

Dean River Draw Application Form [PDF 380KB]

Credit Card Authorization Form [PDF 54KB]

For more information about the draw, please contact:

Dean River Draw

Fish and Wildlife Branch

Ministry of Environment

PO Box 9363, STN PROV GOVT

Victoria B.C. V8W 9M2

Phone: 250 387-9589

Edited by DRIFTER_016

I fish with Chromer a bit and he said the Washington trip was crappy this year. From what I am hearing the Thompson may not even open this year due to low creel count.

Simply not enough returns on the west coast these days....

Get up to Alasksa and hook up with Drifter16.....Dave will get you on fish but it's gonna cost you no mater what.

Cheers

RR

Guest ThisPlaceSucks
Jay,

I know a guy that works for Sea Lamprey, the doc may know him as well...he has done the washington or oregon trips a few times. He lives in the Sault..i will pm you his name...as I said Luc may now how to contact him better for ideas and prices.

big fish thats for sure. i've viewed some slideshows and they were gorgeous fish. i know they did similar to your idea jay. rented a car in washington, roughed it when they could, fished a bunch of rivers. not sure if it was on the peninsula or what!

I can confirm what Drifter said licenses are such a hassle in B-C it's expensive and complicated. I fished the Skeena river around Terrace and Smithers and surrounding tribs such as the Copper, Babine and Kispiox. Access is not bad on certain rivers but on others it is almost inaccessable. And quite frankly we fished the region hard for 3 weeks and we did get some nice fish but if you are excpecting numbers it ain't the place. As for cost, getting there from Montreal cost us 1200$ each, lodging 45$ each per night + gas + rental car + licenses for a total of around 5k$ each for 3 weeks I am sure you can do it for cheaper but not by a whole lot.

Pepe

Thanks for the replies Gents, sounds like there is some more to this than I initially considered.

Maybe I will have to rethink this, I was hoping there was the potential to really do something on the cheap. Maybe another year of savings is in order.

Speaking of Alaska Drifter have you fished the Situk in the spring or fall? I suspect thats outrageously expensive to access?

I was just looking at the feul costs and other expenses to get back into ontario or michigan and that adds up quick as well, thats why I started to consider other places, for hopefully a few bucks more....back to the drawing board.

Thanks for the replies Gents, sounds like there is some more to this than I initially considered.

Maybe I will have to rethink this, I was hoping there was the potential to really do something on the cheap. Maybe another year of savings is in order.

Speaking of Alaska Drifter have you fished the Situk in the spring or fall? I suspect thats outrageously expensive to access?

I was just looking at the feul costs and other expenses to get back into ontario or michigan and that adds up quick as well, thats why I started to consider other places, for hopefully a few bucks more....back to the drawing board.

I haven't fished it yet, but will at some point.

I have friends that keep inviting me. B)

You can do it fairly cheaply when you compare it to BC.

Fly to Anchorage can be done for under $1000, Anchorage to Yakutat flight $200-$300, Rental vehicle in Yakutat (you would have to call around on that one). For accomodations you can A/ camp (you need steady nerves with all the bears around) B/ stay at a B&B or Inn ($100 and up a night)

Guest ThisPlaceSucks
I think the north shore of Superior is as good as any, especially for the cost.

We don't have the numbers or the size of the runs in southern ontario, and nowhere near the size of the west coast...although i don't take superior for granted. Catching "wild" steel, sans stocking programs, on rivers where you can fish a day without seeing anybody else sounds good to me! That said, catch a few lake o/lake michigan steel and you'll see the difference!