Float fishin (centre-pin)?

siwash

Hey guys,

I was thinking about using this tactic for migratory salmonids. What do you think? I have never tried it, bit it seems like a lot of successful river drifters use it. Is it easy? How can you learn? Is it matter of just picking it up?

Any suggestions would be appreciated..

BTW, what does a package cost (rod, reeel, line)?

thanks

I too was considering getting a set up next spring.

Am I crazy to think I can buy a decent set up for $400.00 (rod & reel)?

The only thing holding me back is my negative association with shoulder to shoulder fishing.

I really love being one of few guys on a river or lake.

If you're going to target Salmon and Trout in the rivers and streams, its the most effective and efficient way to fish for them. There are casting video's on line and pictures of presentation set-ups. With the internet, you should be able to pick it up quickly. Also, dont be affraid to ask for help on the rivers.

My setup was roughly in that neighborhood...

Centrepin Reel: MATRIX By RAVEN (MSRP: $250ish)

Rod: Shimano Convergence (MSRP: $120ish)

A used setup is the way to go.. Can you get something decent for under $400 for sure..

If you are going after chinnies, you better get something with some meat to it :)

"A used setup is the way to go.. Can you get something decent for under $400 for sure.."

yeuupp, i bought my frist set up used from the old generously proportioned.net board. it was a gloomis float reel paired with the old gloomis im6 for just under 200

but that was years ago, but it still lasted me 3 seasons before i had the feeling to replace em! go used for now since ur just learning

A used setup is the way to go.. Can you get something decent for under $400 for sure..

Ditto

Check the Classifieds on various message boards. Even Craigslist and Kijiji have gear for sale. You can pick up a used Islander or Tourney Drifter for around $200 when you can find them. Aurora Barrington was a decent reel which was around $200 brand new but haven't seen them for quite some time. Lots of good deals to be had.

I think any drag will hinder the natural presentation. I used to just release the bail and let the float drift until the float goes down then close to set the hook. Horrible and annoying way to fish. I might have been doing it wrong with a spinning reel. It just seemed a bit easier to just use a centerpin.

Thanks guys... I've seen the float guys on the river while spinning... I agree, spinning is not great for river presentation..

$200 is the most I would spend when getting into it..

You're not going to get much with $200..

Rod, reel, waders, jacket, floats, leader, shot, hooks, etc etc etc..

It all adds up real fast....

Thanks guys... I've seen the float guys on the river while spinning... I agree, spinning is not great for river presentation..

$200 is the most I would spend when getting into it..

I started in the early 80's with a Grice and Young bushing reel, I see that that are being manufactured again on the original tooling by Eagle and for sale new at one place for $99. Match that up with a Daiwa or Shimano rod that are available for about the same and you are in for two bills. You will get a taste of it before dumping more money into the pit.