heaviest kawartha muskies

tomkat

I enjoyed the post on world record potential musky sizes. I was just wondering what are peoples thoughts on the size potential of fish in the Kawartha Lakes? Do they get to 30 or 40 lbs on occasion. and if so how rare is that and how old would they be? I have caught them I would guess at a max of 20 lb but they have been few and far between.

Usually seem to be skinny fish and even the monsters aren't that heavy. That said I Hooked a 42 on stony that was real fat and would have gone high on the scales so it makes you wonder if that fish would carry the same girth at 50"

I remember reading things a few yrs. ago (Crossman and LeBeau) where the largest musky they could find, of the Kawarthas strain, was 42 lbs. Anything around that is probably the maximum weight. Not a bad sized fish!

Most knowledgable Muskie anglers seem to agree that a 30 lb. fish is possible but rare, with 40 lbs. being the absolute heaviest that would possibly come out of a Kawartha Lake. I consider a 20-25 lb. fish a trophy Kawartha Muskie.

This is my heaviest Kawartha fish...

626643_on_a_topraider.jpg

Only about 43". Didn't weigh her but I'd guess north of 20 lbs. I bet she gets to the high 20s someday is she lives long enough...

Edited by Pigeontroller

2 years ago on one of my carp fishing sessions in the Kawarthas I witnessed a huge 33lb muskie caught from shore in a fairly small Kawartha lake – The angler was fishing for walleyes at the time using a Rapala. Really amazed at how a fish like that could come from such a lake – I would imagine it would have to be an incredibly old fish or it somehow migrated from another lake through the locks. It was weighed on 2 different scales that other anglers there had (1 digital and 1 dial) and kept by the angler to be mounted. That was the biggest musky I've ever seen before in person.

Here's the 5 heaviest boated by me and my brother.

44" and 21.5 lbs (weighed in cradle with Berkley digital scale)

45" and 23 lbs (weighed in cradle with Berkley digital scale)

43.5" and 22 lbs (weighed in cradle with Berkley digital scale)

47" Not weighed but I am guessing 25-26 lbs. She was HEAVY and had just eaten too, look at her belly!

47" Probably 22-24lbs, not nearly as heavy as the other.

I also had a massive follow this June on Balsam that would have pushed 30 lbs, just seeing this thing had my heart pounding for 10 minutes afterwards. I know, I know, fisherman's tale... but don't worry, I plan on catching her later this month when she is even fatter!

I stopped weighing muskies (and fish in general) after my first full year of fishing muskies (2004). I don't think I would weigh another unless it had the potential for some sort of record. My quest is for that magical 50" mark... if she goes 25 lbs or 30, I don't really care!

IMG_2173.jpg

IMG_1913.jpg

IMG_3100-1.jpg

47flat.jpg

DSCN1417.jpg

Edited by Fisherpete

Yeah, we hear all the stories about 35lb + fish in the Kawarthas. I believe if you get one at 25lbs you are doing well. I have seen 52" fish out of Pigeon weigh around 20lbs. That was years ago. However, and I do believe that the fish are heavier these days and that Balsam produces the largest ones for whatever reason. Those 50" fish are probably around 25-30 years old. Many people tend to over estimate the size of their fish (a true fisherman) and as past taxidermist I have many stories of guys bringing me 30lb fish that turned out to be 18lbs.

Back in the late 50's or early 60's I had an uncle who caught one just over 28 lbs in Chemong.It was caught on the north side of the causeway near the old turning bridge. I was told it was the record at the time.

Edited by Woodsman

I've heard of a few 50" fish coming from Stoney and obviously Pigeon. My biggest fish are out of Stoney including a 50" that was skinny and a couple of fat 47"s.

musky3.jpg

And yes, the fish was mostly in the water.

Edited by 4thgen

I've had well over 150 kawartha muskie boated between my boat and my buddies in the last 5 years, and only about 5 were in the 25 - 30 pound class. That just goes to show you how hard it is. Our biggest was somewhere around 30 lbs, was a nice healthy 48.5 "er.

You definetly have to be out this time of year if you even want to think of cracking that 40 lb mark in the kawarhtas.

Both thses fish were caught early season (june). Would be nice to see them in october.

48.5.jpg

musky_2ac.jpg