Ice Shelter Runners

alexmedic

I lucky enough to get a great deal on Frabill Commando flip-up shelter.

This got me thinking about the best way to protect the bottom of it. I know Frabill makes Hyfax runners, but the price in my opinion is crazy for what they are.

I found a ice fishing forum where a guy made his own (I do not believe I can post that forums name though, can I??), and he did exactly what I am wanting to do for $7.00 in supplies from a pretty cool supply page in the states:

http://www.mcmaster.com/

I was hoping anyone knew of such a Canadian place (preferably in the GTA)

Here's picture of the mod that was done:

qyej9j.jpg

Any ideas??

Edited by Ten90

Guest skeeter99

just get some old snowmachine sliders, I picked some up for free and attached to bottom of my fishtrap were the fishtrap brand was suppose togo

and anyone towing there fishtrap behind a atv *dont waste your money on the fishtrap sliders*

they wear out way to quickly my set I bought are completely gone frayed to bits

and this is with no road or gravel road running strictly on ice/snow

or go to the local arena and ask for left over puck board the always have some lying around and you dont need much and will probably last longer than the portable you are towing anyhow

the fasteners are expensive...

it almost costs the same when you work out the cost of the UHMV plastic and stainless screws, washers and nuts... plus drive to 1 place and get the plastic, then drive elsewhere for the screws...

I just went out and bought the clam runner kit...

also big difference in walking and towing behind a skidoo/atv a hut interms of wear on the runners...

As Goran states !

I put UHMW on my Frabill last year... the same stuff I put on airplane skis that land at 70 MPH or so. I had the plastic and the fasteners here so there was no expense and there wouldn't be to do it again. However, I've had the same plastic on aircraft skis last 10 or more winters.... I busted all my UHMW strips off TWICE this winter on the hut... and that was only 3 x four or five day trips last winter. Really gets hammered behind a sled... so I even bit the bullet and ordered the Hyfax kit to install for this winter.

I got mine from the arena in my hometown.The plastic around the boards is about 1/2 thick,and they crack every now and then so they have to be changed,just cut what ever width you want with a table saw or skill saw. The sheets are about 4x4 square.

I did some work at Labatts about five years ago, we replaced the rails on the conveyors where the bottles are moving along with a product called Nylatron. I also installed it on an automation line that had 18 pound pallets banging against Nylatron blocks about 1 1/2" x 2" in size every five seconds and the stuff was incredibly robust. It just never wore out.

If the stuff can stand up to the amount of wear and tear these lines were giving it, I really think it would be the way to go for you.

I think the last place I purchased it was called Peckovers just South of Hwy 7 around Jane I think. They sell all different sizes and shapes

I have been thinking of doing something similar for my sled that I pull all my gear out with but just haven't had the time.

If you do try it, let us know how it works out and I will do the same.

Good Luck

i makeing my runners out of 1/4 plastic plywood i got a sheet of it ofr 15 dollars and will have runers for the next few yrs cheapest thing i found other than if u know someone who works i a hockey rink and you can get the facer boards or the white boards that they have replaced

Cheap aluminum toboggan at Canadian tire...... cut it in 1/2 lengthways.....lasts forever..keep 'em long enough for added storage at the back and flotation all around.....wooden ones don't last as long.

Wish I had pics to post but I've seen it 100 times very popular up here...... they can stand up to being towed behind a sled across Lake Nipissing year after year.

RFS

:canadian:

I use worn snowmobile runners on mine. put them on upside down. They are U shaped and the bolt head sits inside and you don't need to worry about countersinking. Go to a snowmobile dealer and ask for them.

As for skis on a large shack, we use a ski made of 2x8's or whatever, then you get crazy carpet and cut it down the middle, then wrap it around the ski and use roofing nails to hold it on. lap it in the proper direction like shingles so you don't rip it off.

I was recharging my testosterone levels last night at the local Princess Auto and came across 1/8 strips of aluminum, that come in 1/2, 1 and 1 1/2 widths.

This got me thinking... A lot more durable than plastic, easy to bend, but would it perform well on the ice?

What do all of you think?

Edited by Ten90

i made up 2 ABS pipe runners for my clam 2000. they are starting to wear from dragging it on roads and gravel but the floor of the hut still looks like new B)

got a pic of that by chance? I just got a clam 2000 and want to keep it in the best shape I can, thanks.

I have a Frabill portable. Was getting pretty scraped up. Mounted downhill skis on the runners. Found the downhill are heavier duty and wider than the cross country. Wax them up from time to time and they work great. I see them all the time in the garbage or you can get them at the Salvation Army stores.