Mr. Heater Portable Buddy Propane Heater

splashhopper

http://products.howstuffworks.com/mr-heate...mh9b-review.htm

Does anyone use this thing ?

Is it safe inside a tent as it says ?

Is propane really okay to use indoors?

I am thinking of using it inside my van instead of running the engine for nightime fishing ?

Anyone with EXPERIENCE with propane heat on here, please advise....

Thanks

Splashhopper

I have one and it works good. If it's windy out it sometimes blows the piolt light out and the heater will turn off. You can mod it with a DIY wind protector and that will solve that problem. Other than that it puts out some nice heat. I use it for ice fishing in a fire rated hut. I would not use it in a tent that is not fire rated or you could have major problems with the tent going up in flames. If you use it in a car I would also say no. You would obviously have to have the windows open or you could die from monoxide poisoning. As far as using propane indoors I would think it is safe enough. You would never want to store the propane indoors though. This heater is not ment to be used indoors. Play it safe. If you have any more questions let me know.

Well not in a van 'down by the river' (R.I.P. Chris Farhley)...but I use a 'sunflower'in my hut on the ice on a 20 lber and it pumps the hell out of the heat...actually too hot...if using it ANYWHERE else I would leave lots of windows, ect open as i am sure its not good for the soul.

My understanding is as long as you do not concrete yourself in your good to go, there are airholes in every hut, hunt camp, tent, bivouack, rock crevace, ect....that I have been in.

JUST KEEP'M THE WINDOWS OPEN...oh yeah and keep the curtains away from the heat. Just ask Bubbles they burn good.

They are a great little unit, and they are meant to be used indoors . They have a built in O2 sensor, and will shut off if it reads below a certain point, as well as if it is bumped or knocked over. I use it in the ice hut, as do many other people.

Edited by spooner_jr

Go for something that is catalytic. Those are truly safe for indoor use with no open flame.

As for the propane, no matter what the manufacturer tells you, anytime you use propane within a closed space, oxygen will be depleted. So your safety will depend on the quality of the low-oxygen sensor on the unit.

In your tent, if you have some sort of air circulation from the outdoors you'll be fine in terms of oxygen levels. If you're inside a small room indoors with no air flow then you may have an issue.

Edited by ADB

I use one in my ice fishing hut. They are fairly safe, but you need ventilation. I didn't know that at first and wound up with one heck of a headache. Now I keep the windows open somewhat and its fine.

Not sure I'd feel safe with one in a tent though.

Joey

The reviews are confusing. Its rated as almost a great deal, but it doesn't work worth a crap :whistling:

I have a catalytic tent heater that works just fine. those things seem kinda mickey mouse gadgetry to me.

Keep some ventilation no matter what. I lost 2 friends by them tarping their truck cap and sealing it while running a heater. You know how much of a bummer it is to lift the hatch on a truck cap and see 2 young guys laying there dead.

Portable heaters, whether propane or catalytic, are great tools that work well, just remember to use common sense and leave an opening that'll allow a constant supply of fresh air to replenish what's being used up.