GpS sugestions

codered

You can go cheap and just get a GPS that marks where you are without mapping that will get you back there without a problem.......and then there are GPS units that have the lake mapping that will put you on a spot to begin with......also a GPS/Sonar combo unit......so what are you thinking you really want........

Bob

My ETREX Drives me nuts because of the process I have to go through. My suggestion is this, Find a GPS that has a Button for instant Landmarks (MARK) Instant Grid (NAV) Waypoint to (GOTO) here an example. My Magellan I hit MARK My Position is instantly put in as a Landmark that is in numerical order, my Etrex I have to go through half a dozen pages and then serials. My Magellan default screen is showing what I want that is what I set up. So Ive set it up for a Grid, Bearing, Distance to. My Etrex, again I have to go through about a dozen pages and its default screen is a dumb looking map. Bottom line, if you want to play and waste time, get a GPS that just has a Power, Menu, Arrow Buttons.

Here's what I mean as an example

You will notice the Magellan has your Info Buttons right there in the front. Just Press once it is set up to YOUR SETTING

61FB828HJPL_SS500_1.jpg

Now the Garmin Etrex has its buttons on the side, a pain also. Its buttons are a MENU, ARROWS, POWER, ENTER. Now find you MARK, GRID SCREEN, GOTO, MAPS, ARROWS, DIRECTIONS. Yup its like going through the yellow pages vice a google to get your info.

cf-lg1.jpg

On a night Patrol I literally got peeved and tossed it as it was such a pain to deal with. Im not saying what brand to buy, just a difference as I have both models. THE ONLY THING I LIKE ABOUT THE ETREX, is it has a longer Battery life. My Magellan, I tape extra Batteries to it. Yea, Both are cheap

Ive had a Garmin 76 Map and upgraded to the 76csx.

Have been great units and are expandable, maps and memory (csx). Will last about 2-3 full days on the water with 2AA Batts.

I find these units very user friendly...at this point I dont have to look to mark points, and get to various screens etc.

I've used the yellow etrex for years and find it just fine for basic use. I also carry a spiral-bound notepad and a pencil so I can write down the Waypoint numbers and what they mean. All my wayoints are numbers because replacing the number with a short name is a pain and doesn't always stay in my memory either.

My notepad and my etrex are never separated.

i got a Garmin Etrex this year at bass pro for 89 or 99 bucks and it works very well. i use it a lot for trolling speeds. but if you go any unit that uses AA or AAA batteries i suggest picking up a high end rechargeable brand like Duracell or Energizer.

Keeping in mind that the GPS is a way to find your way around in the bush or on a lake, I've never felt the need to "upgrade" to a unit that has maps and shows roads. My waypoints are the thing that's important to me, and if necessary I use my unit in conjunction with a topographic map (or a piece of one) printed from my computer.

GPS's, like dishwashers, can get pretty fancy. But if all you ever use is the "Basic Wash" cycle, why pay for the extras? :D

The basic etrex runs for a couple of days on one set of two alkaline double A's.

Mapping on the ice is not as important as when you are on the water with a boat in a strange rock infested lake......now there is where my Lowrance LMS 520 shines all the way and back to the dock keeping me save and sound, not to mention finding fish.

The hand held GPS units ( I also have the Magellan as posted) will be just OK as far as battery usage depending on how many times you push the buttons.......also the COLD will deplete the battery power MUCH faster then in the summer.

I have the Lowrance Expedition with street map & Navionics chips, great in the car, bush or on my boat, your boat or any where you go, I have a small boat but fish out of a lot of buddies boats so I can take it with me to find my way points while with them & mark new ones we find while not in my boat, H2O will work too, colour is nice, shows the change in water depth better

Richard :Gonefishing:

Keeping in mind that the GPS is a way to find your way around in the bush or on a lake, I've never felt the need to "upgrade" to a unit that has maps and shows roads. My waypoints are the thing that's important to me, and if necessary I use my unit in conjunction with a topographic map (or a piece of one) printed from my computer.

GPS's, like dishwashers, can get pretty fancy. But if all you ever use is the "Basic Wash" cycle, why pay for the extras? :D

The basic etrex runs for a couple of days on one set of two alkaline double A's.

Jacko, I AGREE IOO%. Never leave home without your map and compass.

Jacko, I AGREE IOO%. Never leave home without your map and compass. Whats important to me is, My GRID to check to see where I am on a map. LAND MARK, to use to get to or future use. Now whats really important to me, DISTANCE TO as I walk and the distance to my destination gets less, I'm going in the right direction instead of following an Arrow. This way I can enjoy or make mental notes of my surroundings

Edited by holdfast

One aspect I really appreciate the topo map for is snowshoeing into lakes in the winter. Sometimes the GPS helps to decipher exactly which valley Im in. Typically the terrain I use this in has a alot of hills, valleys etc, I find it really shines in predawn hours.

The map and compass is key, learn how to use them first, batteries will run out, gps units fail.

Holdfast still appreciate those files you sent on orienteering a while ago, look at those from time to time to refresh things.

i use a garmin 60csx. They are very versatile if you get some maps for them. There are free topo maps of canada floating around the web for hiking/4x4 runs, city navigator maps for in the car/truck/bicycle, and there are blue charts for out on the water (although it isn't very good coverage for small lakes, the great lakes, and big kawartha lakes are all on there). The battery life is really good (it should last you a full day on the water with 1 pair of AA) It's pretty easy to setup and use. They are also somewhat water and weatherproof. There are a host of accessories for them including mounts and aux 12v or 120v power cables. They are quite accurate (to within 3 meters) too. I bought mine from Kijiji in the spring for about $300. Map sets are anywhere from $75-$180. Just copy the maps you are going to use to a micro SD card, and way you go. The 76csx is very similar to the 60csx besides costing a bit less money. The map software works on both windows and OSX computers. I am happy with mine.

troutologist makes a really good point. It's always good to be prepared in the event your GPS breaks, so carry a traditional compass and a copy of topo map of the area you are exploring.

Edited by skrillaguerilla

:whistling: Sometimes I really wonder how many read and actually comprehend, the OP asked for an inexpensive unit, not something that gets him around rock piles back to the dock or units that cost $300 + mapping costs...BASIC...best bang for the buck. Edited by Fisherman

Map and compass for sure, yes. Low tech and reliable. At the very least a compass and knowing which direction is ÒUT.

i have the yellow etrex and it cant seem to located satalittes i can leave it on a whole day and it wont find anything

You have a screen on that unit that shows how many satellites there are and whether you are getting a lock on them. Usually if you get a black bar on 3 satellites you're good to go. If you've got some open sky that should happen within a couple of minutes at the most. If you're not getting any black bars at all, then I would think the unit is defective. The unit should begin its satellite search as soon as you turn it on; there`s nothing special to set.

neat little gadget, that must be the Worlds smallest GPS that I hear advertised on the Radio in Prince Albert. I wonder if it gives a distance to your destination?

I think it does. In the ad it shows a Backtrack with "325 yd" and a directional arrow on the screen.

Funny, I just ran across one in the new Cabela's Canada catalogue last night. They're selling it for $80 (+ shipping) so it should be a little cheaper elsewhere.

The Backtrack can only store 3 waypoints. I've seen the etrex base model for as little as $90.

I like my Garmin GPSMAP 60Cx. I can't remember how much I paid for it but I don't remember it being too expensive. The great thing about Garmin maps is the mapsource software for the computer. it lets you view the maps and is great for doing research/planning before heading out on the water or trail. You can create waypoints on the computer and upload them to the unit, as well as tracks and routes. I use the latest Bluechart maps for the more popular bodies of water (great lakes/trent system), and the Canada Inland Lakes — Ontario maps for smaller bodies like cottage country and the haliburtons. If you know where to look, maps are free.