Crappies are getting active on Scugog

ScugogBoy

Just a brief update...the "black lobster slabs" are starting to get active near small culvert runoffs....we hit a few dozen over the last few cold nights...but got nothing last night with the warmer temps.

Why do I call them "black lobster slabs"???....we clean them and simply boil the chunks in hot salted water.....then put them in the fridge and next day dip them in "cocktail sauce" and enjoy the cold beers you have with them......small emerald shiners under a slip float or even "glow pink" salted tubes are working.......funny that no pickeral are in the same area as the crappie........yet?????

Thanks for sharing! Getting any good sized ones recently?

I was surprised the warm weather didn't put them on for a huge feed! The water was pretty close to freezing before monday, and I thought the indian summer would make them way active last night! I was out last night in and around another kawartha lake and did pretty terribly as well. The fish were biting, but refused to put the entire bait into their mouths...resulting in countless blank hooksets.

Edited by EC1

Scugog was a tough place to fish this morning...nice, calm water but rather murky...we trolled spinners and hard baits for musky, dragged worms for walleye, and flipped senkos for bass and came up empty handed...not even a bite. The rain rolled in around 1 pm and we called it a day.