Grouse Hunting

LucG

Last weekend I went up North to a friend's trap camp near Timmins. Did a bit of scouting for beaver but also crap alot of birds. It was a blast! No pun intended. I'm used to seeing mostly Ruffed Grouse here in North Bay near where I hunt. But up there there were more Spruce Grouse. I found they didn't fly away as much, but merely ran a few feet into the bush. I was using a 20 ga. and I don't think I'll go back to using anything else. Didn't miss a single bird!

Here's me with our limit for the day.

Does anyone have any good receipes for grouse? And how do the Srpuce grouse tast compared to the Ruffed. Their meat is much redder.

Thanks

dsc01925a.jpg

Edited by LucG

They have a strong taste compared to ruffies...soak them in water overnight with apples cut up, or in salt water over night...then bake...or some i know will fry them in red wine, another i know fries them with garlic and butter....i prefer to leave them and cut them into bit size chunks...really cuts down on the strongness of the meat...they are tasty!!!

Nice shooting

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

definitely strong tasting...

i've made chicken caesar salads with a grouse substitution and it was delicious.

some sort of very strong flavour like a spice or garlic is definitely the ticket.

nice birds.

Good grouse hunting up there for sure.

I slice them and fry them up with garlic butter. Or me and my hunting partners keep a couple of limits and and then we make a Chicken A La King. But we use grouse, pheasant and hare instaed of chicken So we call it Something A La King

Edited by wallyboss

chicken fingers with fish crisp.

egg, batter ,deep fry, my kids love home made chicken fingers!!! Well i tell them its chicken he he

Someone at work just suggested I try that as well.

I'll have to give it a shot. Thanks for all the suggestions.

Yep, they be dumb but pretty tasty.

They are very similar to Ptarmigan in texture and taste.

I don't mind the flavour at all. Stuff them with onions and garlic and bake. MMMMMMMMMMMMMM

The chicken finger thing sounds good too. ;)

They are quite a bit bigger than ruffies too. :D

I think its a VH sauce or something to that effect but its a butter chicken sauce. Its top notch.

Cut into cubes, season

fry 3 mins or so

add 1 can of sauce for 4 breasts

lower heat and simmer until sauce thickens

(sometimes I add frozen veggies to the sauce)

serve over rice

Another one.

2 or 4 breasts cut into chunks

pototos, carrots, onion, garlic, celery, peppers (leave everything expect garlic larger chunks to prevent mush)

seasoning to your taste, I like lots of crushed chilis among numerous other herbs and spices

a bit of white wine (not too much, what are you gonna drink then?)

2 cans of cream of wildmushroom and garlic (somthing to this effect its campbells)

fire it all in a crockpot on low before you go to work its tenderized and delicious come dinner time.