Homemade Ice Shelter?

awesome - what were the dimentions of that one in the picture? The plans I have here are to make one that's 4'x7'. I think I might want mine to be a little smaller that that though...

Thanks!

4x7 floor.

The height is 5 ft.

With mine,I used 2-2x4,s for the runners.Nylon or old skis worked just fine as sliders.If they still sell them.strips of crazy carpet works aswell.Oh that was dateing myself.LOL

As for the cover,I went with black.Attracks the heat,making it warm and less heat propane required at times.

Also allow excess on the sides(flaps)to put the snow on to keep it more stable,flappy.

Now that you have my attention,I,ll be making another this year.Darn you anyways. :P:lol:

Edited by misfish

4x7 floor.

The height is 5 ft.

With mine,I used 2-2x4,s for the runners.Nylon or old skis worked just fine as sliders.If they still sell them.strips of crazy carpet works aswell.Oh that was dateing myself.LOL

As for the cover,I went with black.Attracks the heat,making it warm and less heat propane required at times.

Also allow excess on the sides(flaps)to put the snow on to keep it more stable,flappy.

Now that you have my attention,I,ll be making another this year.Darn you anyways. :P:lol:

lol crazy carpets aren't that old school! I'm sure you can still get them - I had one when I was a kid...should've kept it! haha

Thanks for hte tips Misfish - if you stumble upon any higher res. photos let drop 'em on here. I'd like to see one of your huts up close!

Thanks again,

Ryan

Did somebody say Krazy Karpet? :D

I built a 6 x 8 hut four years ago and used KK strips on the runners (wrapped around, screwed on, overlapped like fish scales) and they've lasted really well. The stuff is also super slippery and when water freezes against it, it can't stick.

There's a local store near me that sells KK's every winter. I've got a bunch stashed away for future use.

I'm thinking of building a more portable hut (like that rounded one above) --- if I don't end up with an "Ice Cube" instead. The disadvantage I see to the rounded design is that if I pull it behind my snow machine, I have nowhere to store all the gear (power auger, chairs, fishing gear, heater, etc.). That problem would be solved if two machines were going out together - one with the hut and one with a sleigh full of gear - but I'm usually out on my own.

The Ice Cube, on the other hand, would fit on top of the box full of gear on the sleigh.

IMG_4070.jpg

Edited by Jocko

Did somebody say Krazy Karpet? :D

I built a 6 x 8 hut four years ago and used KK strips on the runners (wrapped around, screwed on, overlapped like fish scales) and they've lasted really well. The stuff is also super slippery and when water freezes against it, it can't stick.

There's a local store near me that sells KK's every winter. I've got a bunch stashed away for future use.

I'm thinking of building a more portable hut (like that rounded one above) --- if I don't end up with an "Ice Cube" instead. The disadvantage I see to the rounded design is that if I pull it behind my snow machine, I have nowhere to store all the gear (power auger, chairs, fishing gear, heater, etc.). That problem would be solved if two machines were going out together - one with the hut and one with a sleigh full of gear - but I'm usually out on my own.

I think the solution to your single portable hut could be solved by adding permanent 1' high walls all around and then having the folding portion on top, still leaves enough room to put all your kit inside with the two ends foled down. The only extra weight would be the weight of 3/4 of a sheet of 3/8 or 1/2" ply to make the walls.

I think the solution to your single portable hut could be solved by adding permanent 1' high walls all around and then having the folding portion on top, still leaves enough room to put all your kit inside with the two ends foled down. The only extra weight would be the weight of 3/4 of a sheet of 3/8 or 1/2" ply to make the walls.

Yeah I've even seen models online that have 12 or 20 inch sides which allow you to put a mernanent bench and all your gear inside, then fold the walls down on top. I'd love to go that route, but I'll be lifting this onto the roof of my truck and pulling it by hand, so the less wood, and the lighter the better for me.

Cheers,

Ryan

I'm planning on building one of these this year.

I'm going to build a separate "stand alone" bench seat that will act as a storage box for my gear. The box will be mounted to the collapsed hut while transporting. Then moved inside, and used as a bench seat while fishing.

I need to think of a quick/easy way I can mount the box to the collapsed hut. I don’t want it to fall off while screaming across the ice at very high speed behind my 250 Bravo.. B)