Homemade Ice Shelter?

Hey guys,

I don't get out ice fishing much..... it's pretty much just a way to relieve the itch a little throughout the hard-water season.... Usually I just tough it out, but now that I've got kids, I'd like to put something together to keep them out of the wind, and in one spot!

I'm pretty handy, and have a few idea's of my own, but if anybody out there has suggestions, please post some pictures or ideas!

Thanks again OFC.

Cheers,

Ryan

IMG_4108.jpg

IMG_4104.jpg

do you mind flippin that same pm to me as well geoff i'm looking for any ideas to make a portable as well

Matt!

Hey Matt, the funny thing is I sent Ryan to the same sight Drifter did, LOL! So check those links. ;) BTW, if you want I can take a bunch of pic's of the clam 2000 when I get it so you can try and make one like it. Let me know, cheers.

Geoff

Edited by GBW

Rather than build something that is likely going to be bulky/heavy, do yourself a favour and get an Ice Cube (4-man size). It's light (18 lbs I think) and easy to set up and take down. Only about $200 on ebay.

I have been using one for 2 years now and I take my 6 year old with me all the time. It heats up fast with just a Heater Buddy (I think that is what its called) and its pretty spacious too (can stand up straight in it).

I remember last year a couple guys tried seting up one of those tent type huts near our shack. Long story short, it wasnt a calm day and it seemed very difficult for them. After the whole thing went blowing down the lake, they gave up.

Ryan, check your PM... ;)

Thanks dude - much appreciated..

Ryan

This guy has built the most innovative home made ice shelter I've seen.

Shanty Part 1

Shanty Part 2

Drifter that thing is bad-ass, but to big, heavy and in the end costly for me. I have to drag this thing by hand wit ha 3 year old sitting on top! lol and I figure by the time I build something like that I could have probably bought one.

Seems the in thing around here is taking the insides out of an old small camping trailers , putting some sort of skies on them and cutting trap doors for the holes.

Thanks Hold-fast.. a little to bulky for me. I have to put this thing on the roof of my x-terra to get it around...

Look for a used tent at garage sales/close out sales etc. Probably the cheapest and easiest way to go, especially if you don't get out much. I can't believe hard water is just around the corner!

I actually was looking on Kijiji for one, but the more I look into it, the more I want a hard floor, and the option to tow it around without having to tear down and re-build down the lake..

very cool - if I was going alone all the time I'd probably go with that design for sure!

Guess the real issue is if your huffing it or going in style.

Clam's are nice for the kids cause they can ride on it as you huff it.

FishingTlyer022Medium.jpg

FishingTlyer023Medium.jpg

I'm hoofin' it alright! no sled or quad over here.... cute kids man!! - nice to see you gettin' them out on the ice!

Rather than build something that is likely going to be bulky/heavy, do yourself a favour and get an Ice Cube (4-man size). It's light (18 lbs I think) and easy to set up and take down. Only about $200 on ebay.

I have been using one for 2 years now and I take my 6 year old with me all the time. It heats up fast with just a Heater Buddy (I think that is what its called) and its pretty spacious too (can stand up straight in it).

Thanks for the tip - but the reason I'm looking to build one is that I don't want to spend much money on this.... $200.00 buys a heck of a lot of softwater baits! haha

I remember last year a couple guys tried seting up one of those tent type huts near our shack. Long story short, it wasnt a calm day and it seemed very difficult for them. After the whole thing went blowing down the lake, they gave up.

yeah man, I was out last year BBR of OFC, and we froze our tails off trying to set up a tent-type shelter, with bars everhwere, which had no floor and my feet got wet inside....... I swore to myself that day that I'd never buy a tent-style hut.

Edited by The Urban Fisherman

This could be a winner....anybody ever use / build something like this?

photo1.jpg

photo6.jpg

Pretty sure one of those was for sale on the classifieds board a few weeks ago...also if you look for the DeWalt Ice Hut Plans...you should find the setup for that one.

Honest to goodness .. you simply cannot beat the 4 man ice cube .. it's light, goes up and down in a flash and does NOT blow around in the wind ... and for about $200 you arent gonna build anything that works for much less ... I carry it out over my shoulder so it doesnt take up room for other stuff on the sled .... I walk out btw ...

I had one of those homemade ones you posted and it was fine. but it was a carp you pull out through the snow. Honestly for the cost of the plywood and a sheet or tarp, your better off spending like 50 more bucks and getting a cube. I have one now and will never go back. I also had a Guide and I much prefer the cube. It sets up fast and is way lighter than anything home made.

I had one of those homemade ones you posted and it was fine. but it was a carp you pull out through the snow. Honestly for the cost of the plywood and a sheet or tarp, your better off spending like 50 more bucks and getting a cube. I have one now and will never go back. I also had a Guide and I much prefer the cube. It sets up fast and is way lighter than anything home made.

I know what you guys mean, but I've got all the materials needed to make something like that. I've spent the past 2 years renovating my house so my total cost for a project like that will be roughly $0.00

Spiel and crappiesteve made those huts famous.LOL

av-547.jpg

Easy to build and pull.

I have built a number of them then just gave them away.

awesome - what were the dimentions of that one in the picture? The plans I have here are to make one that's 4'x7'. I think I might want mine to be a little smaller that that though...

Thanks!

This could be a winner....anybody ever use / build something like this?

photo1.jpg

photo6.jpg

I am about to make one like this for the small lakes.

I will also be making a big one to leave out on the bay. I'll let you know where it is and you can use it whenever you want.