To stay or not to stay

Radnine

I was wondering what you guys generally do as far as staying or not staying at a fishing outing.

I recently went to Rice Lake for some walleye. I looked and looked for someone to share the cottage and the expenses with and ended up going on my own and paying the shot.

My nephew on the other hand leaves his house at 4:30 am and is at Rice before 7:00. He fishes with me all day, we eat our catch in my rented cottage, then he leaves after two periods of the hockey game and drives back to Hamilton at 9:30 at night. My cost for the cottage: $200, his cost for the day: Bugger all.

Now, I could not do what he did. Partially cause I like the whole thing around staying in a cottage (the more rustic and fish camp like the better) and partially 'cause I am too lazy to jump through those kinds of hoops. But are there ways to lessen my costs? What do you guys do in similar situations?

I am considering kitting my van out to make it so I could bunk out in it for the night, then I am wondering where I would park/sleep?

Is tent camping a better way?

Can I have my cake and eat it too? (meaning is it possible to enjoy the overnight without crazy costs?)

I guess what I want to know are some tips for staying and playing without overpaying

Thanks!

Jim

ps. I guess this is an addendum to my camper van question earlier. I have come to the conclusion that the money spent on a camper would buy me lots of cottage stays.

a coleman lantern, a crack in the window will go a long ways into saving money, is it the most comfortable no, does it effect the fishing no! it all depends on what ya want. for me it doesnt matter, but if i have the wife in tow it better be nice. just my thoughts.

jason

I was wondering what you guys generally do as far as staying or not staying at a fishing outing.

I recently went to Rice Lake for some walleye. I looked and looked for someone to share the cottage and the expenses with and ended up going on my own and paying the shot.

My nephew on the other hand leaves his house at 4:30 am and is at Rice before 7:00. He fishes with me all day, we eat our catch in my rented cottage, then he leaves after two periods of the hockey game and drives back to Hamilton at 9:30 at night. My cost for the cottage: $200, his cost for the day: Bugger all.

Now, I could not do what he did. Partially cause I like the whole thing around staying in a cottage (the more rustic and fish camp like the better) and partially 'cause I am too lazy to jump through those kinds of hoops. But are there ways to lessen my costs? What do you guys do in similar situations?

I am considering kitting my van out to make it so I could bunk out in it for the night, then I am wondering where I would park/sleep?

Is tent camping a better way?

Can I have my cake and eat it too? (meaning is it possible to enjoy the overnight without crazy costs?)

I guess what I want to know are some tips for staying and playing without overpaying

Thanks!

Jim

ps. I guess this is an addendum to my camper van question earlier. I have come to the conclusion that the money spent on a camper would buy me lots of cottage stays.

Are there Motels in the area up there? If so, they will be a LOT cheaper to sleep overnight at.

I have slept in my van 2/4 weekends past...

I park in a 24 hours Timmies lot ( not too close to the store).

Sleeping bag or a good down filled comforter works for me so far... The one night the temp got down to -3 and my head got a bit cool... but hey,,, as soon as I covered it up with my spare jacket, I was fine again.

I am also considering a bed in the back of one of my work vans for fishing....

here are a couple of good links to check out "van dwelling" ideas >>

http://cheaprvliving.com/Young_Sonja.html

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/7...cal.html?cat=16

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xa5a8l_ho...van-dwel_webcam

When I go to Alaska in the fall I sleep in the truck en route and tent it when I get there.

I'm looking at buying a travel trailer now as it;s kind of cramped with the dog.

Plus I'm getting tired of sleeping on the ground. ;)

I don't know what you have for a vehicle, but if you have a pickup you can get a camper to go in the back of the trick and then you have your accomodations with you. :D

I had a pick up truck with a tonneau cover over the box and slept in it all over the place. The problem was the cover was so close to you so if you don't like small spaces you may freak out. You have to keep the end of the cover open so you can open the tailgate (if you close it). If I ever had to do it again, pick up truck with a cap and the cap has to have a window or 2 that opens. An air mattress and your sleeping bag and you are good to go. I would still do this now in my mid 30's if I had a truck and was fishing all over.

Really cool thread. I love fishing long sessions pretty far away from home…Can’t get enough of it. Unfortunately for me I usually don’t have access to a vehicle on a regular basis to do it as much as I would like. I drive either a Honda Civic or an Accord depending on which one is still in the garage when I need it.

Some things I’ve done in the past beyond staying in a motel include (but aren’t limited to) – Ranked in order of comfort (at least to me):

1. Sleeping on a bedchair beneath a giant umbrella (both designed for carp fishing)

2. Camping in a tent + foam pad + sleeping bag on a campsite

3. Hammock between 2 trees by the lake

4. In a floating canoe – That was awesome (tied to shore of course)

5. Reclined car passenger seat

6. Park bench or picnic table like a hobo

7. The floor of a concrete pier with a backpack as a pillow – The earwigs and potato bugs also liked that too

8. Sleeping on a low hanging branch of a maple tree

I’ve been rained on a few times while sleeping outside without a shelter but I usually have rain gear on anyway and crawl into the fetal position and cover my face (The weather girl was so wrong on those days :angry: ). I always get the best sleep when I’m outside for some reason – Even better than when I stay in motels. Cool links Splashhopper, Gotta get me a van ASAP :lol:

Edited by MJL

Nothing like roughing it if you can, but still be comfortable. If your uncomfortable without people around, just find a Provincial Park, If you like to be alone, find a lake and a shoreline, or just map recce and find a trail to car camp. Ive used my Ranger as a Bed with the cap on. Its small but cozy. Most Ive my work is done at home prepping, even splitting wood, as I dont like to waste time at the camp site. Here's my examples.

In ten minutes my camp is set up including sleeping gear. box of wood, chair, camping gear in my tool trunk which doubles as a table. A tarp, cheap one man, 2 pole easy set up tent, with cushion and sleeping bag, clothes act as a pillow. Sleeping gear, tent clothes in a Hockey Bag. Toilet is a white pail with garbage bags, also doubles as garbage pail. Ive also stored wood with it

P7250001.jpg

P7260011.jpg

P7260010.jpg

The tool trunk is ideal, although heavy as it has two removable trays. Food stuffs in one, misc in the other.

P6280030.jpg

Leatherman, can goods, cooking oil, spray, KFS, coffee, sugar and creamer mix, bucket with lighter, flashlights, batteries, headlamp, chem lights etc, bug net, toilet paper, contact gloves, bug juice, compass/map, soap and towel, portable speaker with MP3 Player

P6280027.jpg

Bottom tray with, stove, cook set, grate,water, garbage bags, lantern, hatchet, bowsaw, first aid kit, army rations. Dont forget the cooler with your favorite drinks and steak for the BBQ

Some of the newer van styles have high rooflines and are perfect for installing a bunk or two. Plus they have plenty of room for other gear, small table and chair etc. Add some rod holders, a small propane stove/heater (with proper ventilation) and you are set.

I remember the guys who had vans in high school- they were the best vehicles for a lot of reasons :P

Really cool thread. I love fishing long sessions pretty far away from home…Can’t get enough of it. Unfortunately for me I usually don’t have access to a vehicle on a regular basis to do it as much as I would like. I drive either a Honda Civic or an Accord depending on which one is still in the garage when I need it.

Some things I’ve done in the past beyond staying in a motel include (but aren’t limited to) – Ranked in order of comfort (at least to me):

1. Sleeping on a bedchair beneath a giant umbrella (both designed for carp fishing)

2. Camping in a tent + foam pad + sleeping bag on a campsite

3. Hammock between 2 trees by the lake

4. In a floating canoe – That was awesome (tied to shore of course)

5. Reclined car passenger seat

6. Park bench or picnic table like a hobo

7. The floor of a concrete pier with a backpack as a pillow – The earwigs and potato bugs also liked that too

8. Sleeping on a low hanging branch of a maple tree

I’ve been rained on a few times while sleeping outside without a shelter but I usually have rain gear on anyway and crawl into the fetal position and cover my face (The weather girl was so wrong on those days :angry: ). I always get the best sleep when I’m outside for some reason – Even better than when I stay in motels. Cool links Splashhopper, Gotta get me a van ASAP :lol:

You don't want to sleep outside in Alaska or any other area that is highly populated with bears or you will become dinner!!!!!! :w00t:

I had a large grizz outside my tent on my latest trip. :w00t: It is really spooky knowing you are 2 feet away from something that could kill you faster than an LA Gang member!!!! :w00t::w00t::w00t::w00t::w00t:

You don't want to sleep outside in Alaska or any other area that is highly populated with bears or you will become dinner!!!!!! :w00t:

I had a large grizz outside my tent on my latest trip. :w00t: It is really spooky knowing you are 2 feet away from something that could kill you faster than an LA Gang member!!!! :w00t::w00t::w00t::w00t::w00t:

I thought you were supposed to play dead when approached by a bear :lol:

If I leave a case of beer next to me, you think ole smokey will take that instead of me :D:lol:

Charge your nephew a daily guide and shore lunch/dinner fee of, oh... maybe half the cabin cost?

:)

I've been scoping the new boat out as a sweet spot to crash. Im gonna just sleep on the casting deck under the tarp.

Just sleep in your truck. You won't freeze, it wont be the best sleep ever, but I'll guarentee one thing....your gonna be up early to catch fish.

Ive done it in the winter and all other seasons. For a couple hundred bucks you get a great sleeping bag. Or Prop a tarp in the truck bed or get a bivy and sleep there.

Truck sleep= more $ for gas and tackle not to mention its a way better story to tell your buddies.

I've "overnighted" a lot of different ways. Depends on how much comfort you want, I guess. I've spend a lot of pretty comfortable nights in the back of a half-ton with a cap on it when out fishing or hunting.

If I had a van and was staying for only one night I would take out the back seat and set up a bed in the back of it, and that would do just fine. A folding camp chair and a folding table, a Coleman lamp, a little catalytic heater for cold nights (just enough to keep off the chill and the damp), a Coleman pocket stove for making coffee/tea/cup-o-soup, a transistor radio, maybe a tarp running off the roof of the van toward the back or the side. Depends where you can park. I'd be way too cheap to spend $200 for an overnight cottage. :) If in a campground an open fire is a cheery way to spend an evening.

The motel idea isn't bad for some extra comfort. You might even get a housekeeping room for a lot less than $200 (probably less than half).

It would be interesting to read a follow-up from you if you try something different than a cottage. Good luck!

Edited by Jocko

We do several 2 day trips a year, each one usually a couple hundred miles from home, and rather than hauling the tent and all the gear, then setting up a camp for such a short time, we just book motels in the area and can usually find something nice for anywhere from $60 - $75 ..........just stay away from a certain motel in Lancaster.........

Nice cheap trip, plus a comfortable bed & good grub at the end of the day. :)

The motel idea isn't bad for some extra comfort. You might even get a housekeeping room for a lot less than $200 (probably less than half).

It would be interesting to read a follow-up from you if you try something different than a cottage. Good luck!

I mislead you a bit Jocko, the cottage was $200 for two nights. So right away I could cut my expenses by just staying one night.

Thanks to all for the great responses; Splash for the great links, and Holdfast for taking the time to post the photos.

I guess it comes down to the fact that I am a frustrated cottage non-owner. I want a cottage for all of the wonderful things that it brings but am having trouble justifying paying for one (it, them). And at the same time I realize that I am enjoying the cottages I rent for a fraction of the cost of owning one.

The idea of camping in a reasonable amount of comfort seems to have set in with me and doesn't appear to be leaving anytime soon. The thought of a Scuttlebutt Lodge on wheels for Will and I is one that will haunt me until I act on it. A class B camper at a ridiculously good price may end up being my answer yet, we'll see.

Thanks again guys. I will let you know how it all turns out.

Jim

Jim, if you like one particular lake (like Rice) well enough, have you checked out availability and what it might cost for a trailer in a campground on that lake?

Might be a cheaper alternative to owning a cottage and give you most everything you want?

Just a thought.

Jim, if you like one particular lake (like Rice) well enough, have you checked out availability and what it might cost for a trailer in a campground on that lake?

Might be a cheaper alternative to owning a cottage and give you most everything you want?

Just a thought.

I have not. Thanks Jocko, I'll look into it.

Jim

A very long time since I was at Rice Lake and only once, we stayed in a campground for like two nights? Slept in the 60 chevy wagon the second night, once we had the tent set up it never stopped raining. Never stayed in a tent again.

A couple 3 two day bass tournaments a year before I got sick, no problem for me to sleep in my van for a practice night and first day of the tournament headed home after the end of the tournament. Some if we had enough guys we would rent a cabin or motel room to cheap out.

When we stayed in my van there was usually an all night store near by with a big parking lot so no issues for the boats. Never got a hassle.

My understanding is that Walmarts will let you park a motorhome or trailer at the back of their parking lots overnight?

I have seen that many a time but never thought of it. I should ask my father if he's ever done that with his 5th wheel when in need...