bait cast reel question

redneck666

hey people, does anyone own an Abu Garcia Black Max bait casting reel? they go for about $80 at canadian tire and i've been looking into buying it. i just would like to know if these are a semi-dependable reel? i dont do much bass fishing but i like the bait casters for pike/walleye. any info. on these reels would be great to know.

thanks,

JP

Edited by bigredneck

I'm pretty sure there is one of those for sale on Kijjiji Barrie for $50 maybe still in the package. I have seen it on there for months and my guess is the guy is probably open to offers. It maybe worth doing a quick search?

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

CT is a bad place to buy your fishing stuff beyond terminal tackle needs etc.

They stock cheap stuff, overcharge for it, and really do nothing to maintain any sort of loyalty. The stores in the Soo are expensive, but reasonable. Go to western tire and try some of their equipment. Find something you like...Get a quote of the price online with delivery, then ask them to match it (sometimes they are a little more)... Canadian Tire is garbage.

I'm a Shimano fan boy, but honestly you can find people that sell Revo S's for $80 on Kijiji sometimes. I think if you save and drop another 40 bucks you can get a brand new Citica E on Ebay and be far more happy with it.

Edited by mojobass

you cant really call any brand garbage everyone has personal preferances i like abu and pflugger alot i think they are the most dependable reels i have ever bought and the dont break the bank i would just suggest shopping around im dont the same thing except looking for a spinning reel

So I guess my Ambassader C3 is garbage because I bought it at CT, my Cherrywood, Fenwick, Uglystick, Lightning rod, Abu Garcia Cardinal all on sale. Man I wish I was smarter.

Lol....I'm with you on that. There is some nice stuff on sale sometimes. Ok....the Cherrywood costs about 28 dollars but the Lightning rod is often at under 30 dollars when on sale. I recently bought a Lightning Rod "Shock" that is supposed to be made specifically for the new non-stretch lines....on sale for 30 dollars. I used it for jigging walleye with Fireline and was really surprised at the improved hook up percentage with this rod. Then the other day, I was bank fishing for brook trout in the Saguenay river. I use 3 ounces of lead pencil weights, 3 hooks and a hookless Sutton to attract the trout. This rod worked very well in this situation too. It may seem to be a bit soft but the backbone of the rod really comes on fast. The medium weight 7 foot rod behaves like a medium-heavy 7 foot rod. With the Sutton flashing and vibrating in the current, the rod tip does not move much but just below the tip, the rod vibrates to show that the spoon is doing it's work. With over 3 ounces on the end of the line, the rod casts very well too. I will have a better idea if I like the rod or not after next season. I like to give a rod some time before making a definite opinion. So far....I'm happy with it. The real test will be when trolling and casting crank baits for walleye, and landlocked salmon.

As for spinning reels, there are so many good ones at a decent price today that just any reel in the 70 dollar range will do the job very well.

Even the mid-range baitcasters at around 100 dollars work great these days.

In any event, the internet is full of reviews and before buying a rod or reel, it's always a good idea to read what others have to say about them.

hey people, does anyone own an Abu Garcia Black Max bait casting reel? they go for about $80 at canadian tire and i've been looking into buying it. i just would like to know if these are a semi-dependable reel? i dont do much bass fishing but i like the bait casters for pike/walleye. any info. on these reels would be great to know.

thanks,

JP

http://www.tackletour.com/reviewabugarciapreview08.html

http://www.cabelas.com/p-0053391122850a.shtml

http://www.cabelas.com/p-0053391122850a.shtml

http://www.catfish1.com/forums/archive/ind...hp/t-14257.html

For the Money I would certainly check it out, especially as a starter or cheaper beater upper.

i own a few baitcasters.. zillion, pflugers, curado's, revo's etc.. and i have also owned / used the black max , it honestly is not a bad real.. i used it on a old 6'6mh browning rod i had lying around and well it worked well with plastics and such for bass.. the settings on the reel arnt the greatest.. but they still do the job.. though i would not pay $80 for it , I have seen them around for 59, and thats about right , i'd say this would be a good starter reel,

as for all the cdn tire haters.. im with you .. but they try and stock average quality stuff as it wouldnt really be realistic for them to cary top end gear that very few people are going to be interested in.. though there are some exceptions with that .. like lindsay canadian tire carries more high end gear then alot of tackle stores would like carrot sticks , curado's , original calais, crucials etc.. as well cdn tire will compete with competitors pricing ..

If your gonan spend 80 on a reel at the end of a fishing season why not wait and save another 80 for a really dependable japanese made reel. Or even wait for the bass pro shop reel trade in program

you know what? they should put a bass pro shop in sault ste. marie! theres quick access to the states and some avid fisherman and hunters up here! they would make a bunch of cash! should see if one of the wealthier guys in town would like to invest in that. like i said there would be a bunch of cash made!

you know what? they should put a bass pro shop in sault ste. marie! theres quick access to the states and some avid fisherman and hunters up here! they would make a bunch of cash! should see if one of the wealthier guys in town would like to invest in that. like i said there would be a bunch of cash made!

There is one BPS in Canada so far...the second one isn't gonna be in Sault Ste Marie

There is one BPS in Canada so far...the second one isn't gonna be in Sault Ste Marie

it was either the BPS site or cabela's site that i read that if you got at least $100,000 a spot to put up the building and around 100,00 in the town or within an hour of the town then they would be happy to negotiate with you.