Fishing the Catt. - Reserve Lic.

JFish

Just wondering if anybody who fishs the Catt. could help me find a place to get a Seneca Reserve fishing Lic.

Also, I'm trying to find some access points to the river but I need the lic. first.

*Originally planning on fishing the Gowanda area however, a friend was thinking of fishing the reserve. Any recommendations as to where to fish? Gowanda or Reserve??

Any help would be great guys and gals.

JFish

Hi Solo. Thanks for the info.

I'm not looking for any fishing spots just access points for parking close to the river where I won't get ticketed.

I tried to find parking on google maps but it didn't help much.

I have never been there before.

JFish

Like solo said..........one stop is about the main hub for a res. license.

Having said that........fishing the reservation isnt the advantage it used to be. Used to give you a better shot at finding some open water..........paying for that extra res license was a way to buy a little elbow room......those times are long gone. There are days i find more open water off the res. than on.

If your looking for some room, some fish, and some scenery.........wait till the fish push way up and trek down into the valley. Its georgeous fishing down there in the snow, but bring your extra lung and leave the felt bottoms at home if the snows falling......a repel rope would come in handy as well. Its all worth it though.

There are 5 or 6 places that you can get licenses in the area. I know this because I visited all of them last year trying to find a license for a buddy with me but they were ALL sold out...all of them.

This was the Saturday after a HUGE post was put on here (OFC) showing all the holes and runs in pics and videos....with comentary and fish numbers talking about a huge pod of "suicidal dropbacks".....the post was put up on the Thursday, by saturday all 5 stores were sold out of licenses.....it was a zoo like I haven't seen since opener out east. We fished for a couple hours (my buddy took his chances) and after hooking a few beat up droppies that had obviously been caught already, we decided to leave (for the 3.5 hour drive home) rather than add to the pressure these poor fish were under.

Carefull with your questions and answers in the public discussion forum guys....1000's are watching this and other sites. The damage caused is not reversable.....and this river is damaged now IMO.

Seneca had licences last weekend....hope you drive a 4x4.

Cheers

RR

Didn't mean to stir anything up here. Just looking for info. on where to get a lic. and a possible parking spot.

Well, I havne't decided now if I'm even going to fish the Rez. Might just get a state lic. and take our chances upstream. I have gotten mixed feelings from people about fishing the Rez. vs. upstream.

Zoar valley area does look like a great place to be fishing even if your not catching much, though I would like to catch :).

Most responses that I have got are PM's which would keep any info off the public board. I haven't got any secret spots nor do I expect any.

Yes, I have 4x4. :)

JFish

Damaged? After someone posted a great report?

Riiiiiiiiiight.

That's just how river guys are.

I'm have numerous PM's complaining about me posting river pics with backgrounds visible. Guess what? If you recognize the background, you've already been there and I'm not telling you anything new!

This was the Saturday after a HUGE post was put on here (OFC) showing all the holes and runs in pics and videos....with comentary and fish numbers talking about a huge pod of "suicidal dropbacks".....the post was put up on the Thursday, by saturday all 5 stores were sold out of licenses.....it was a zoo like I haven't seen since opener out east. We fished for a couple hours (my buddy took his chances) and after hooking a few beat up droppies that had obviously been caught already, we decided to leave (for the 3.5 hour drive home) rather than add to the pressure these poor fish were under.

Cheers

RR

The damage was done years ago. Although adding fuel to the fire doesnt help matters much. People just dont know how to keep a secret anymore. I think that some people have learned their lesson. Some have not. Oh well.....to bad so sad. Good luck Jfish !!

Carefull with your questions and answers in the public discussion forum guys....1000's are watching this and other sites. The damage caused is not reversable.....and this river is damaged now IMO.

There is no doubt that detailed reports with recognizable backgrounds will draw additional pressure to a particular location however I'm not following the logic of declaring the Catt a "damaged" river due to the pressure it sees.

It is stocked annually with over 90,000 fish (though it does have upwards of 25% wild fish)...as long as the NYDEC keeps up the stocking and people practise selective harvest (which most do on the Catt, in fact the vast majority of anglers practise C&R based on my observations anyway),

there will be lots of fish to go around and as already mentioned, it's easy to find less pressured water if you stay away from the "tourist traps".

There are 5 or 6 places that you can get licenses in the area. I know this because I visited all of them last year trying to find a license for a buddy with me but they were ALL sold out...all of them.

Seneca had licences last weekend....hope you drive a 4x4.

Cheers

RR

You were recently banned from Float Fishing.net for similar outbursts. I blocked you from PM'ing me on OFC last spring because of your threats and Bull. As you stated to me on Float Fishing.net you are the problem and you are not welcome here. Take your own advice and get lost.

You were recently banned from Float Fishing.net for similar outbursts. I blocked you from PM'ing me on OFC last spring because of your threats and Bull. As you stated to me on Float Fishing.net you are the problem and you are not welcome here. Take your own advice and get lost.

River rat was banned from Float fishing.net :rolleyes: wonder why??

Having anyone fish the reserve without a liscence is irresponsible and puts us anglers wishing to fish the reserve in a potentially tough spot, having seen some of the local's with the bandana's and shot guns running amuck I wouldnt want to have one decide to spot check me because someone recently was arrested for fishing the reserve without a liscence especially a fellow canadian.

Never mind a post about drop backs on a river that if you reconize the water you ve been there already the fact you fished with a "dude" without a liscence puts us all at risk.

I have been in the same situation many times there and had someone who couldnt purchase a liscense for what ever the reason the seneca sells out of them, but the city hall which is open 6 days a week always has them in stock

In the end I did the responsible thing and fished NY water legally I would never put myself my companion, or any other angler in a position that liscence checks increased and kids on atv's with bandana's and shot guns can now train it on me and say" show me your liscence" 90,000 fish can sustain a bit of pressure and that river has sooooo much water where you can fish pools and not see a person but my family cant replace me with a 12 guage hole in my chest because some kid decided to random check me....guess what any resident of the reservation can do just that

I know this will lead to some convoluded war or words also but it had to be said....it was a good thread too....

Completely irresponsible to accompany someone fishing illegally thats no different then a poacher or worse

Mike, Why the heck did you chime in here anyway ? was I talking about you ? did I mention your name ? what's your problem ? and get your facts straight man, I wasn't banned ? I took myself off that board because of guys just like you jumping all over any little thing I posted, just like now.....call JC and ask him. I was at his place on Saturday laughing about it. It was 100% my decision to leave.

Louis, what the heck are you doing in this post...seems like solo can handle himself, no need for you to gang up on me is there ? if a guy drives 3.5 hours and can't get a licene and decides to fish anyway, what does that have to do with me ? "the fact you fished with a "dude" without a liscence puts us all at risk".....good god man, could you try any harder to find something bad to say about me ? LOL

by the way, I don't have any issues with "the local's with the bandana's and shot guns running amuck "......nice stereotype bud. I'm only 1/8th native Canadian but dam proud of it. Save your racial profilling banter for the local Mississauga KKK meetings "dude"

Anyway,... anyone who has fished the catt in the last 5 years knows exactly what I'm talking about. and who I'm talking about simply doesn't matter.....it's best to keep pics that identify the exact location a current run off public sites. Unless anyone can tell me what "good" it does for the fishery ? I'm all ears. Louis, you keep saying you are working to save our fishery....what did you write in this thread that would help you get to that goal ?

I remember back a few years ago when someone did the same kind of post about skein fishing in a certain harbor that a guy took him to for the first time.....that place is now destroyed, there were 30 guys slit fish eveywhere last three years.....the land owner had enough and shut it down. access is by boat only now. Same place, guy posted a great day winter steelhead fishing with pics .....blammo, next weekend 100 holes and blood and guts everywhere.

Hey wallaco, mortallity rate is around 10% with the best C&R practices. When 20 guys hit and average of 10 fish per day, stats say 20 will die. When 80 guys hit an average of 6 fish each per day.....the number of dead fish more than doubles. I would say the traffic is at least 4 times what it was prior to the internet glory posts....at least IMO that's what I have seen.

just think about it is all I ask, and lighten up there Mike and Louis. Save the witch hunt for holloween LOL ..... ;)

RR

steverowbotham,

100's of guys know that spot in your pic you are right, but guess what.....fish tend to move in pods at certain times of the year putting high concentrations in particular parts of the river.....by posting a pic of that spot telling people you hit a bunch, you have indentified that concentration of fish for the 100's of guys and thier buddies to pound into oblivion......I know of TONS of guys that just scan the internet and take days of work when they see a post like that.

does anybody understand what I am trying to say here or am I really the only guy that has seen this first hand....tons of times ?

RR

steverowbotham,

100's of guys know that spot in your pic you are right, but guess what.....fish tend to move in pods at certain times of the year putting high concentrations in particular parts of the river.....by posting a pic of that spot telling people you hit a bunch, you have indentified that concentration of fish for the 100's of guys and thier buddies to pound into oblivion......I know of TONS of guys that just scan the internet and take days of work when they see a post like that.

does anybody understand what I am trying to say here or am I really the only guy that has seen this first hand....tons of times ?

RR

Funny you should mention it... I post very specific spots in my reports... but have never seen another OFNer, nor lurker in them... I guess I don't catch good enough fish eh???!

Isn't Seneca.. like 3 hours away??? In another country?

To say we have that much reach is silly. I know you steelhead guys are protective, but thats just over the top. There are all kinds of sites in NY offering up info and rivers used to fill up with guys in NY when I fished them long before the internet was around. Everyone got their info from the bait shops then.

Funny you should mention it... I post very specific spots in my reports... but have never seen another OFNer, nor lurker in them... I guess I don't catch good enough fish eh???!

well GCD....if you are comparing my point to our reality ...are these specific spots on rivers ? do you go back every day of the following week to see the damage done? do you post a pic of a fish in a lake or a pictorial and video diologe of huge numbers being caught in a 1 mile section of a river ?

apples to apples bud, think about it.

head out to XXX point on Simcoe in the winter and smash 20 whitties and post is on here and see what happens.

get out on XXX point on Erie next weekend dragging tubes and pound 20 huge smallies and post that here and see what happens.

hit the Catt on a wed and thursday, post a 4 page egogram on here...I saw what happened.

RR

Isn't Seneca.. like 3 hours away??? In another country?

To say we have that much reach is silly. I know you steelhead guys are protective, but thats just over the top. There are all kinds of sites in NY offering up info and rivers used to fill up with guys in NY when I fished them long before the internet was around. Everyone got their info from the bait shops then.

yup, it is far away in a different country......that's why guys scan the internet looking for any signs that the fish are in and banging out there before they drive that far.....those rivers still fill up, those bait shops still talk and spread the word.....now that the internet IS around, how do you think those rivers looks today.

you shoudl get out and see for yourself.

RR

It's pretty obvious who you are talking about without mentioning them man, come on.... How many times have you done this? Did you forget the giant diatribe you had over on the float board?

It's hilarious that you think one post about one river lead to any kind of 'decimation'... If you are so worried about it, stop fishing all together.

River Rat + StoneFly = The perfect couple :dunno:

dude, not sure who stonefly is but there is already a Mrs. Rat. so don't get jealous.

besides, I'm pretty sure I've seen you around the local tribs and I am pretty sure you know what I'm saying. If stuff got posted about your favorite haunt you could say farewell to the perfect harmony you've established there......

Cheers

RR

It's pretty obvious who you are talking about without mentioning them man, come on.... How many times have you done this? Did you forget the giant diatribe you had over on the float board?

It's hilarious that you think one post about one river lead to any kind of 'decimation'... If you are so worried about it, stop fishing all together.

well, I don't think it was obvious till he decided to out himself but whatever. ? To me it's sad that you don't see that one post could do that. I would have to assume by that statement that you are fairly new. I see you are hanging around with him now so unfortunatly you will see it first hand.

RR