Carp Action?

TC1OZ

This time of the year I use smaller baits like canned sweet corn or 6mm pellets. I mostly use a float set up as there are a lot of shy pickups, which are easier to see with the float. If your bolt rigging, use a shorter hooklink and the shy carp will get hooked easier.

IMG_0094.jpg

Carp have the "feed bag" on just like most other species in southern Ontario. The fall is an excellent window of opportunity to hook into bigger carp. Though it can be a challenge, you can catch them until it ices over. Some catch them through the ice. The general opinion that carp are only biting in warmer water and weather is being debunked.

Good luck! :)

Edited by Hairwig

05 October 2007 is the latest I have caught a carp up this way...tried a couple of times later but got skunked...

I usually concentrate on other species this time of year until they close most of the Kawartha Lakes on November 15...

Still haven't heard if they are allowing ice fishing for panfish next year...

Edited by Beans

OK. So supposin' I know of a really good spot but have no clue how at this time of year (Victor knows where I mean). Plus I have a brand spankin' new 13' Quantum I'm dyin' to try out and why not on the carp? So how do I go about it - baitwise etc? Is it the same deal as carping in the warm weather - seed the area with maize etc?

JF

Carp can be caught year round especially near warm water outflows and areas that don’t freeze over during winter – some people even catch them through the ice by accident. Fall can be a great time to fish for carp. I remember having stellar sessions in the Kawarthas a few days just before Halloween and good fishing around Toronto well into November. The Hamilton guys seem to be hauling them out year round in some places.

In most places I fish I generally cut down on the amount of bait I chum with and switch to baits with more protein in them (Like boilies). In the fall I’m usually trying for the absolute biggest fish I can get my hands on though (30-40+lbers) – Maize will still work but I find it less effective in the fall than in spring/summer. If you don’t have problems with gobies or bullheads (probably won’t if the water’s cold enough), sweetcorn from a can also works well. Carp usually have the feedbag going on hard in the fall...The hardest part is trying to get them off of whatever natural food supply they’re currently eating to take your bait – Often times you can see them passing zebra mussel shells or coughing up crayfish parts in the net. I caught a few carp in the past which were coughing up large shiners. Locate some deeper areas, channels or drop-offs (relative to the body of water you’re fishing) and you should be able to get into some carp.

Hope this helps

• 2 weeks later...