How I make my jigs!

Greencoachdog

Now that was a thing of beauty Glen B)

So many steps into making those jigs!!! They are a real work of art :clapping::clapping:

Take a bow my friend.... you deserve it :worthy: :worthy:

Loved to video and you did a great job of it :thumbsup_anim: Movie maker is such a great little program.

Question for you: How long does it take from start to finish to make a batch of jigs??

Now you got to promise me that your next video will be from your boat..... want to see you live in action B);)

Again awesome job Glen and thanks for sharing

Jacques

Cool video, GCD.

You said you made 150 jigs? How much do you figure that cost you?

I made 120 jigs, my initial setup cost was around $500

$115 for 23 jars of paint

$125 for 50 lbs. lead

$75 for the melting furnace

$120 for 12 boxes of hooks @ 100 hooks per box

$40 for the mold

$40 for 2 toaster ovens

When you figure the price of just the materials only per jig it's about $.05 for lead, $.05 for paint and $.10 for the hook = 20 cents per jig... when you add in the labor, it's about $5 per jig! ;)

That's Awesome Glen where did you get your supplies?

Thanks Henry,

I got the Melting furnace from http://www.jannsnetcraft.com/

I bought the mold from Cabelas

I buy my lead from http://www.rotometals.com/

I buy the hooks from http://www.do-itmolds.com/

... and I buy the paint from http://lurepartsonline.com/cart.html

... as you can see, everything was bought online and I shop around for the best deals. B)

Question for you: How long does it take from start to finish to make a batch of jigs??

It takes about 3 hours to pour them and about that long to "clean" them up for painting = 6 hrs

I can paint 40 in 6 hrs. ... so I have about 24 hrs. in a batch of 120 jigs

Best way around that pesky copyright stuff is to maybe PAY FOR IT

Who does THAT???

I actually did pay for it, it was off of a CD I bought. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the kind words y'all!

Edited by GCD

Nice job Glen !! Its a wonder why everyone like these jigs..sweet !!

I see your doing the smelting process outside...Is that because of the toxic fumes the lead gives off in this part of the process ?? When I poured lead jigs I did it in a work shed with ventilation fans pushing air to the outdoors kinda like a oven hood would do....Just thought I would throw that in for anyone who was thinking of doing there own after watching this video....

Keep up the fine work Glen and uh.....you got any left over you know where I live ;)

Cheers !!

how much of the bees wax do you put it the pot of lead?

I use a ball about the size of a 1/4 oz. jig head. When you drop it in the pot stir quickly but very carefully and be prepared for a flame because sometime the wax will ignite, if the wax doesn't ignite it will smoke a lot... you can ignite the smoke with a lighter, some folks say the extra heat from the fire helps.

When stirring the wax in, scrape the sides and bottom of the pot.. all the trash and oxidation will float to the top so you can skim it off. I prefer something with a wooden handle for stirring and skimming so as not to conduct the heat from the lead.

Nice job Glen !! Its a wonder why everyone like these jigs..sweet !!

I see your doing the smelting process outside...Is that because of the toxic fumes the lead gives off in this part of the process ?? When I poured lead jigs I did it in a work shed with ventilation fans pushing air to the outdoors kinda like a oven hood would do....Just thought I would throw that in for anyone who was thinking of doing there own after watching this video....

Keep up the fine work Glen and uh.....you got any left over you know where I live ;)

Cheers !!

Yes! Melting lead gives off toxic/noxious fumes and I won't do it in an enclosed area!!! You can do it the way you described, but I just feel better about doing it outside!!!

I do paint my jigs in the garage, but I always open the big garage door for ventilation. The paint is non toxic... but you're still heating bare lead until you get the first coat of paint on the jig.

Thanks again for the kind words y'all! ;)