Float rods AHHHH!

danjang

Thanks for everyone's input. I have some shopping around to do. What's considered to be big water? I fish most rivers between Bronte to the Ganny and occasionally Niagara. Niagara is definatly big water but would the credit also be?

Credit, Bronte would be considered medium sized rivers, Niagara/Saugeen would be considered big water.

Mike which model Diamondback did you use? Did it say "Diamondback by Angling Specialties" on the blank? The time I built my first ever Diamondback float rod, I shot an e-mail to Diamondback about the history of this blank and it was determined that there are 2-3 different (maybe more) 13'6" models (all 3 piece but colours range from a light brown to red (which is the one I have). The line rating on mine is 4-10lb while I have seen others rated at 4-8lb and 6-8lb. According to George at the Scarborough AngSpec store, the Diamondback float rod blanks that they sell were based on the GSH 1136-3 taper as they were unsure whether or not Sage would continue to build that particular blank for them in the future.

Yeah I know, I know. George and Tom say a lot of things to a lot of people. :rolleyes:

There's only one 13/6 D-back though..

They are however rated differently in the U.S.

I bought both the Sage and D-back blanks straight from Tom.

Yeah I know, I know. George and Tom say a lot of things to a lot of people. :rolleyes:

There's only one 13/6 D-back though..

They are however rated differently in the U.S.

I bought both the Sage and D-back blanks straight from Tom.

Say it ain’t so…Maybe you got the dud blank built on a Monday and Steel28 and I got the ones built on Wednesday :lol:

Check your PM box Mike

Just recieved a G Loomis GLX 1562 13 foot float rod, on warranty........Had the rod for 15 minutes and traded it for a 3 piece Loomis GL3 13'6(amazing rod).....What a piece of junk(GLX)!!(in my opinion) Talk about a wet noodle!!

Just goes to show, price tag doesn't mean everything! (GLX $690 with taxes!!)

In my opinion stay away from Streamside, they cant make a pair of wading boots that hold up to vigorous fishing....A couple of my friends bought them(Streamside float rods) because they liked the price point, and were not happy with action and or strength!

Watch the classifieds and you will find a good deal on something to start with!! Would not recommend spending too much $ on your first 13 footer, you may perfer the shorter rods?

My 2 cents!!

Just recieved a G Loomis GLX 1562 13 foot float rod, on warranty........Had the rod for 15 minutes and traded it for a 3 piece Loomis GL3 13'6(amazing rod).....

Funny you mention that..

I was out fishing with a buddy last week and he ended up snapping his Rainshadow XST in 2 places (obviously a defect).. His backup was a GLX...

Wet noodle was right, he couldn't move fish after that.....

I also run a 13'6 GL3, wouldn't trade it for the world.

Funny you mention that..

I was out fishing with a buddy last week and he ended up snapping his Rainshadow XST in 2 places (obviously a defect).. His backup was a GLX...

Wet noodle was right, he couldn't move fish after that.....

I also run a 13'6 GL3, wouldn't trade it for the world.

Bill, would that be the GL3 1622 blank??! Cause if it is, I'd want to be buried with it too!!

Fidel, that would be the one.. I also picked up a Loomis IM6 3pc 13', that one is going with me to!

You must keep your rod rack beside your bed stand... I know.. It helps me sleep soundly too. :thumbsup_anim:

Real shame Loomis won't be selling blanks anymore. I heard a rumor though, or perhaps I dreamt it that Garry will get back into the biz..

Garry if you're reading this, you have the power!!

HD

Real shame Loomis won't be selling blanks anymore. I heard a rumor though, or perhaps I dreamt it that Garry will get back into the biz..

Garry if you're reading this, you have the power!!

HD

Hey Fidel

Gary is back in the biz. For now it looks like 11'6" is the longest salmon/steelhead blank in his lineup

http://www.northforkcomposites.com/nfc_catalogv1.04.pdf

Just recieved a G Loomis GLX 1562 13 foot float rod, on warranty........Had the rod for 15 minutes and traded it for a 3 piece Loomis GL3 13'6(amazing rod).....What a piece of junk(GLX)!!(in my opinion) Talk about a wet noodle!!

Just goes to show, price tag doesn't mean everything! (GLX $690 with taxes!!)

LMAO, Shimano took you for a run sending you the 2 power as a replacement. The 2 power I agree is best described as a wet noodle, but has its place in the lineup ... The 3 power is GOD's gift B) ..Ya you can get picky about the 11 Recoil guides or the fact that it has no hook keeper, but as far as a factory rod with lifetime warranty nothing touches the 3 power GLX .... FYI I am not here to argue with any of you IMX4LIFE gentleman, just clarifying that the 2 power is what it is (wet noodle) and not to get it confused with the totally different 3 Power GLX which is worth every penny ... As for the 1601 hmmmm ,ok I will leave that one for the other board :lol::lol:

Gary is back in the biz. For now it looks like 11'6" is the longest salmon/steelhead blank in his lineup

http://www.northforkcomposites.com/nfc_catalogv1.04.pdf

Looking at the specs the 11'6" rods appear to be true noodles, probably similar to the Fenwick HMG 1441's of the early 80's, The IGFA 2 and 4 notation implies that is the pound test they are designed for. Not at all what we want for a float rod , even for oldschoolers like me who cherish old Loomis IM6 1562's. Have to watch for further models I fear.

go get a solid 8-11 footer none of this 15 foot bull

You mind as well skip steelhead fishing and head right to the pond for bluegill...

15ft foot rods have their place, and I wouldn't run anything shorter then 13' for anything else.

8ft? lol

You mind as well skip steelhead fishing and head right to the pond for bluegill...

15ft foot rods have their place, and I wouldn't run anything shorter then 13' for anything else.

8ft? lol

You wouldn't go shorter than 13' Bill?

I agree that the long stick DEFINITELY has its place, but I also think the short stick does as well.... I have a 10'6" and an 11'6" that are a complete blast to fish in smaller flows...of course I wouldnt whip them out on the Niagara but for droppies on the smaller east tribs I love the 11'6"

You wouldn't go shorter than 13' Bill?

I agree that the long stick DEFINITELY has its place, but I also think the short stick does as well.... I have a 10'6" and an 11'6" that are a complete blast to fish in smaller flows...of course I wouldnt whip them out on the Niagara but for droppies on the smaller east tribs I love the 11'6"

Even in the small ditches out east I don't think I'd bring anything less then my 13.6'...

I guess it's all personal preference though. :)

I sold an 11'6 to a buddy and wish I would have kept it. Trying to bushcrash and cast in very tight quarters was much easier with that rod. But overall I found many more things that a longer rod does to make fishing easier.

Tell me if theres anything more frustrating than negotiating through alder tangles and thick brush to get to a sweet looking spot with no access, getting all set up to make that perfect cast, then having a branch catch your line behind or above you as you attempt to cast out.

I have an ancient nine-foot HMG I sometimes use in small, brush-filled ditches - sometimes for steelies, sometimes for resident browns. I prefer longer rods, so this one definitely feels weird after fishing bigger waters with a 13+, but in the little creeks it works absolutely great. It's a different kind of fun.