Float rods AHHHH!

danjang

I'm currently looking for a float rod no more than 200$ and I would like people's opinions. I am currently using a spinning 9'6 HMX from fenwick. I would like something around 13' but there are so many manufacturers to choose from. The rod I was really looking into at first was the Okuma Aventa rods. Probably the cheapest I can find and might compliment my Sheffield pin very well but I have heard some bad things about it. Just looking for a decent entry level float rod with a good warranty (lifetime if possible!). Also, why are the G Loomis rods insanely more expensive than the other manufactures? Are they the Lambos of the fishing world? lol

Avoid the aventa....at all costs.

Look in the classifieds here or on floatfishing . net and you can find some REALLY sweet deals.

That said I have a Raven IM6, and I love it. Many bash it to death and say you break one every three minutes but only loogans break rods like that

The Shimano Clarus 13' has a lifetime warranty for under $200 and is probably the only one. You must realize that the rod will be heavier than a $600 GLX Loomis but hey, for an entry level rod with lifetime warranty you can't go wrong! Lots of back bone with this rod as well not like the old Canadian Northern Series that used to start bending at the cork! :w00t:

JP

I'm currently looking for a float rod no more than 200$ and I would like people's opinions. I am currently using a spinning 9'6 HMX from fenwick. I would like something around 13' but there are so many manufacturers to choose from. The rod I was really looking into at first was the Okuma Aventa rods. Probably the cheapest I can find and might compliment my Sheffield pin very well but I have heard some bad things about it. Just looking for a decent entry level float rod with a good warranty (lifetime if possible!). Also, why are the G Loomis rods insanely more expensive than the other manufactures? Are they the Lambos of the fishing world? lol

Danjang

Check you PM

I happen to like my wet noodle, I built a sweet st. croix last year and for some reason I still always reach for the IM6. I need to stop doing that and get some action on the custom stick.

Sil I made the loogan comment because I knew you'd be all over that one just kiddin bud.

Avoid the okuma's of the world......good advise here St croix has a nice avid coming out worth looking at. Fast blank with lots of back bone a noodle that bends to the cork or something in between lots to choose from

My IMX is always for sale...but a bit over your budget.

Im waiting to see the newest CTS with a buddy so I can give er a whirl...

Seriously danjang buy what you can afford after all its not the rod that hooks the chromer and breaking a 200 stick is far less disheartening then breaking a 700 one...trust me there

been using the raven im8 for 2 seasons now..its a solid rod for the price, cant go wrong..

the shimano clarus is also a sweet deal. i think it was on sale at bronte outdoors a while ago for $80?

wait for the new avid series or the new raven rv9...both are going to be sweet rods

As an aside, Ive got a CTS 13'6 and it is the bee's knee's for heavy water.

I'm told that stick is lighter and crisper than the sage SCII 1136-3, and it won't blow the bank... but what do you expect from 20 year old technology... Tom at AS quoted me $920 for a finished custom stick.. Can you freaking believe that??!

Solo has good things to say about CTS too... Hopefully, this helps me make up my mind.

Looks like Christmas is coming early this year!!

That CTS is unreal....for the power it has its very light.

It is as stong as my 15' IM9 and so much easier to fish all day with.

Wish I had it on the manistee last fall, IM8 didnt have enough backbone to move those fish. Theres a video on here somewhere that Mike took, thought I was gonna break the rod.

Edited by troutologist

Hard to go wrong with a Raven IM8. A great performing rod at a pretty good price ($200-$250 depending on whether you get sliding rings or a reel seat). As others have said, the Aventa might not be the right rod for you. It has a slow/sloppy feeling more akin to rods of the 80's and early 90's which were designed to handle ultra-lite leaders and mainlines. Definitely better rods out there to choose from for this day and age.

I'm told that stick is lighter and crisper than the sage SCII 1136-3, and it won't blow the bank... but what do you expect from 20 year old technology... Tom at AS quoted me $920 for a finished custom stick.. Can you freaking believe that??!

Solo has good things to say about CTS too... Hopefully, this helps me make up my mind.

Hey Fidel

Most blanks nowadays are lighter and crisper than the GSH 1136-3.LOL That blank was developed back in the early 90's and is based on the old RP taper. It's a beautiful rod nonetheless with a pretty sweet action. If you like the feel of the Sage, play around with the 13'6" Diamondback that Tom had custom made for him (It's a private label blank). It still has the same moderate/parabolic action but it's lighter, less tip heavy with a crisper action than the Sage - Only thing is I'm not sure what the warranty is like. I absolutely love mine.

The Shimano Clarus 13' has a lifetime warranty for under $200 and is probably the only one.

good advice for the $$. I bought a 13' Shimano Convergence as a backup when the old GL2 isn't limber enough. It is the entry level for Shimano's lifetime warranty rods, at just under $100. A definite workhorse but also it can be a little too heavy and rigid for my liking. Good investment until you figure out what you really want.

Hard to go wrong with a Raven IM8. A great performing rod at a pretty good price ($200-$250 depending on whether you get sliding rings or a reel seat). As others have said, the Aventa might not be the right rod for you. It has a slow/sloppy feeling more akin to rods of the 80's and early 90's which were designed to handle ultra-lite leaders and mainlines. Definitely better rods out there to choose from for this day and age.

Hey Fidel

Most blanks nowadays are lighter and crisper than the GSH 1136-3.LOL That blank was developed back in the early 90's and is based on the old RP taper. It's a beautiful rod nonetheless with a pretty sweet action. If you like the feel of the Sage, play around with the 13'6" Diamondback that Tom had custom made for him (It's a private label blank). It still has the same moderate/parabolic action but it's lighter, less tip heavy with a crisper action than the Sage - Only thing is I'm not sure what the warranty is like. I absolutely love mine.

Fidel, I got 13'6 Diamondback and 13' Loomis IMX and honestly switch between two all the time :lol: Next one is 15' GLX for the big water :whistling:

As for the OP, find used rod like Raven IM8 or new Quantum Coldwater or Shimano Converge. Good luck.

The Raven IM8 is about my favourite rod for moderate cost. 200 or slightly over.

Im a big fan of this rod, if you fish big flows it might lack the heavy duty backbone.

As an aside, Ive got a CTS 13'6 and it is the bee's knee's for heavy water.

You're right the 13'6 CTS is sweet. Just to clarify though for Fidels benefit I believe you had the first generation CTS built (forest green blank).

John came out with a new one mid August this year that's even lighter and still has tons of power...

Have you called J.C. yet? You should.

That CTS is unreal....for the power it has its very light.

It is as stong as my 15' IM9 and so much easier to fish all day with.

Wish I had it on the manistee last fall, IM8 didnt have enough backbone to move those fish. Theres a video on here somewhere that Mike took, thought I was gonna break the rod.

Yeah that was an epic battle dude. :) Pretty much any rod is gonna take a beating though when you're forced to fight a 12lb chromer from an anchored boat.

Hey Fidel

Agreed the Raven IM8 is a very decent stick for the money, but it's definitely not a big water rod.

Under a full load it'll bend right into the butt. Head and shoulders above the Raven IM6 though..

Also I completely 100% disagree with your comment on the Diamondback. I've owned and fished both the Sage and the D-back and there's no comparison.

The Sage has waaay more power and is waaay crisper than the Diamondback.

The Diamonback is an old school soft rod, mushy to the max.

Danjang,

When I first started steelheading, I used a Fenwick HMX 12'6" rated 4-10. Its got good back bone, fast taper, not too heavy and lasted a while before it broke, due to my own fault. It should still have stainless guides, and the diameter of the top guides are larger than avg., making for less ice blockage in cold weather. It should retail for around $125.

You may want to look at used rods as well.

Edited by justin elia

Also I completely 100% disagree with your comment on the Diamondback. I've owned and fished both the Sage and the D-back and there's no comparison.

The Sage has waaay more power and is waaay crisper than the Diamondback.

The Diamonback is an old school soft rod, mushy to the max.

Mike which model Diamondback did you use? Did it say "Diamondback by Angling Specialties" on the blank? The time I built my first ever Diamondback float rod, I shot an e-mail to Diamondback about the history of this blank and it was determined that there are 2-3 different (maybe more) 13'6" models (all 3 piece but colours range from a light brown to red (which is the one I have). The line rating on mine is 4-10lb while I have seen others rated at 4-8lb and 6-8lb. According to George at the Scarborough AngSpec store, the Diamondback float rod blanks that they sell were based on the GSH 1136-3 taper as they were unsure whether or not Sage would continue to build that particular blank for them in the future.

Edited by MJL

Thanks for everyone's input. I have some shopping around to do. What's considered to be big water? I fish most rivers between Bronte to the Ganny and occasionally Niagara. Niagara is definatly big water but would the credit also be?

The first good decision you made is having a budget. Lots of good rod choices mentioned here and as you said you got some shopping to do. Go hit up BPS to check out the rods in your price range, then go to Ang Spec to see Tom about 15 mins away. He's got some good rods in your price, particularly from Streamside. Until you go out and hold and feel the rods, everything is going to feel like a possibility - including the very expensive ones!