Jerkbait Bite

MCTFisher9120

It has been chilly out for awhile now so I think the fish are use to it now. I'm going to head out to the river some time this week close to the ends of it and going to try a jerkbait bite.

I know slow is the way the lure should flo so would a twitch pause retrieve be good to try out/has anybody been doing this. Picked up a Bomber Long A and a BIG 5"+ X-Rap(trying to replicate a big fat baitfish) I'm going to try, both suspend so I was thinking letting the bait "hang" would be ideal.

I went last week and caught nothing(walleye fishing with minnows) and this River has me kind of down. Lot's of hmwk to do these next few days but Thursday or Friday I'm looking to get out. It's been nothing the only bite in that river has been a 4lb largemouth bass in my last report there.

Anyway, work to do just wanted to ask yet another question.

Thanks,

MTBF

Edited by Mike The Bass Fisher

When fishing with jerkbaits for pike after ice out, a long pause, sometimes in the 15 second (or more) range, can be the key to getting bit.

After ice out, the the water temps are still cold, and the pike are very lathergic. It sounds like the river you're fishing may be starting to shutdown, in terms of bass, as the water temps are cooling, so this technique may be right up your alley.

Edited by ADB

When fishing with jerkbaits for pike after ice out, a long pause, sometimes in the 15 second (or more) range, can be the key to getting bit.

After ice out, the the water temps are still cold, and the pike are very lathergic. It sounds like the river you're fishing may be starting to shutdown, in terms of bass, as the water temps are cooling, so this technique may be right up your alley.

Interesting, there are both smallies and largies in the river alongside walleye and Musky. Would love to crash into a ski but do not feel like using a leader when using a approach where the fish will stare at the bait prior to a strike.

Will report back on the result. Thanks for the help ADB.

You may want to downsize the jerkbaits you are using. Nothing wrong with starting off big and fast, but slow and small is often the best bet when the water starts to cool. A size 8 Xrap is a good size this time of year. Don't be afraid to let the jerkbait sit for a loooooong time between twitches

Get yourself a thermometer and start keeping track of the water temps that you are fishing. A good log book is worth a tackle-box full of lures.

You may want to downsize the jerkbaits you are using. Nothing wrong with starting off big and fast, but slow and small is often the best bet when the water starts to cool. A size 8 Xrap is a good size this time of year. Don't be afraid to let the jerkbait sit for a loooooong time between twitches

Get yourself a thermometer and start keeping track of the water temps that you are fishing. A good log book is worth a tackle-box full of lures.

It's may be a little too late for this season however next season I plan to make up documents where I can fill in such information. I like to gather fish weights and baits they were caught on on long trips. Give's me something to refer to.

As for the XR08's I have 2. The big X-Rap might be too big but a nice musky/pike lure to be used in the future. Going to concentrate on that Bomber though. The Largemouth that I caught a few weeks back brought up a 4" minnow(baitfish of some kind...have yet to practice my baitfish ID) So something simple in color would be best...or so I hope.

Thanks for the comment, let's see if I have what it takes to work such a bait really really slow lol.

I usually jerk the bait 3 times before the pause, and make sure there is some slack in the line when you jerk, which gives you more random movement. I also pay attention to the leaders I use fast-lock snaps with no swivel at the lure end, because I don't like any extra weight on the nose of the lure. (Where I fish, I'm just as apt to catch a pike as a bass). I'm no way an expert, but fish crank/jerk baits more than anything, and that's what works for me.

Hope that helps, Mike

Like I said, start measuring the water temp. It's not very important during the summer bass season, but in the spring and fall it can save you ton of time trying to figure out the bite. Bass behaviour changes dramatically when the water temp drops below 55F. For me, that is often the transition between the "fall bite", when bass are active, aggressive and feed as though their lives depended on it, and the cold water bite, when they are slower, less aggressive and much more difficult to catch.

If the jerkbait isn't producing, try a tube or a senko fished real slow.

It has been chilly out for awhile now so I think the fish are use to it now. I'm going to head out to the river some time this week close to the ends of it and going to try a jerkbait bite.

I know slow is the way the lure should flo so would a twitch pause retrieve be good to try out/has anybody been doing this. Picked up a Bomber Long A and a BIG 5"+ X-Rap(trying to replicate a big fat baitfish) I'm going to try, both suspend so I was thinking letting the bait "hang" would be ideal.

I went last week and caught nothing(walleye fishing with minnows) and this River has me kind of down. Lot's of hmwk to do these next few days but Thursday or Friday I'm looking to get out. It's been nothing the only bite in that river has been a 4lb largemouth bass in my last report there.

Anyway, work to do just wanted to ask yet another question.

Thanks,

MTBF

Watch out where thoses lures are placed, or else you won't be able to Jerk your bait again.

I disagree, I'll start big and downsize if I have to. Deadsticking a big jerkbait is a good way to put big fish in the boat

That's cause you weren't fishing a jig. <_<

I did for abit, the current was in also. My friend was using a t-rigged jerkbait and i was using a jerk bait myself for awhile. Then a brown/orange jig for the rest of the evening. Was bringing it over branches under water, casting it out deep and working it back in and nothing.

Ah well, was fun to get out again and a Canoe for god sakes. This thing belonged to a good friend of mine and a board member(not yet posted) and it was like 6" out of the water. Was freaky at first but I made sure the life coat was on lol