Trout Beads

fishinguypat

Beads aren't anything new. I have one friend who was a fly fishing guide up in Alaska for a couple summers and he swears by them for the resident rainbows there. Guides often have whole tackle boxes dedicated to just storing beads in different colours. Most of the time he paints them with nail polish just to get them to look exactly like the eggs at different stages of their life cycle. According to my friend, often times having the wrong coloured beads can mean catching 10-20 rainbows per day for the clients you're guiding VS 60-70 rainbows for the clients the other guides are taking out on the same day and same stretch of river.

Beads aren't anything new. I have one friend who was a fly fishing guide up in Alaska for a couple summers and he swears by them for the resident rainbows there. Guides often have whole tackle boxes dedicated to just storing beads in different colours. Most of the time he paints them with nail polish just to get them to look exactly like the eggs at different stages of their life cycle. According to my friend, often times having the wrong coloured beads can mean catching 10-20 rainbows per day for the clients you're guiding VS 60-70 rainbows for the clients the other guides are taking out on the same day and same stretch of river.

Yep!!! :D

You gots to have the right bead or you might be the one catchin' nothing. B)

We get quite technical with our beads including hand painting, hand made clay beads etc.

They work well for steelhead too!!!

You're matching the hatch so to speak. About 95% of my trouting in Alaska is done with beads.

I have a good selection. :D

Beads.jpg

I've been getting fancy with beads the last few years.....the girls at the local dollar store must think I'm a cross dresser with all pearls and nail polish I have bought there! .....Dave ever tried heat glue ? mix up a batch and color to taste......

cheers

RR

Paint, Nail Polish, Hot Melt Glue, Water based clear coat, you name it I've tried it.

They even make a product called Softex that you can coat with after painting to protect your finish and make the bead feel softer to the fish. ;)

I'll post more info on it when I get home, as it is impossible to find anything online.

I brought home a jar of the stuff to try out.

just found this site - lots of good fishing information

Lotsa flossing clips on Youtube.

no flossing here brother -administrator eh ? oh boy <_<

Rubes.

thanks bill m -whatever this rubes thing means i'm sure it's a good thing :rolleyes:

i recently learned of this trout beads technique from a fella from canada , iv'e been fishing for steelhead over 30 years and never knew of it -tried it twice with good results ,some browns and bows.i'm a believer now

if you guys ever make it up to ny and see us out on a steelhead stream stop by and say hello - i promise i won't film you for youtube