The Wooden Spook - New Look

Leecher

Well folks, have not been fishing this weekend but been busy on the wooden projects. Saturday morning had a land property to check out for deer hunt but did not pan out so when I got back in the afternoon, started working on a special project for my good friend Glen aka GCD. Got it finished late night Saturday :D

Sunday morning, my daughter had a bowling tournament that we had to attend..... Senior YBC and she finished second for best overall pins above average with a +128...... couldn't be more proud of her B)

When we got back around 2:00pm, had an idea of making a jointed spook, got down to the basement to get my tools and out to my deck, got busy.... was able to make a few spooks and this time you can definitely see the difference

DSC02624.jpg

Here they are all white, first coate

DSC02627.jpg

Then came the chartreuse

DSC02628.jpg

Under view

DSC02629.jpg

Now for those that wonder how I make the white decal on the underside, have to create my own. Here is a pic to show you.

DSC02625.jpg

Here is my piece of resistance but not quite finish yet on the paint job B)

DSC02631.jpg

And an underside view

DSC02630.jpg

Hope you enjoy!

Let me know what you think!

Leechman

Edited by Leechman

Nice Jacques but you might want to reconsider the use of a split ring on the joint. The split ring will keep the tail too floppy. The two screw eyes need to be connected directly to each other. I buy half and half, open and closed screw eyes.

You're doing good!

Yup,what Roy said. Also,the spooks action works because of its one piece construction. It should have a nice side to side glide when jerked in a steady rhythm . I'm curious what the action will be with the jointed version. You can sand angles on the flat areas at the joint as well so when the action is happening the baits two sections will come together more smoothly and not hit each other on the rounds.

Good Luck !!

They look GREAT. Fantastic job.

GCD - have you seen or heard of a jointed spook? I wonder how it'll work.

Thanks cram!!!

leechman awesome job they will catch fish

Thanks corvette1!!!

Nice Jacques but you might want to reconsider the use of a split ring on the joint. The split ring will keep the tail too floppy. The two screw eyes need to be connected directly to each other. I buy half and half, open and closed screw eyes.

You're doing good!

Thanks Roy!!! That is a great point. I wasn't sure how I would open one of them eyes.... that is why I used a ring.... but if you have a pic of the ones you use, can you send it to me please. I'd really appreciate it :canadian:

Looking Great Pal

Thanks Mike!!!

Yup,what Roy said. Also,the spooks action works because of its one piece construction. It should have a nice side to side glide when jerked in a steady rhythm . I'm curious what the action will be with the jointed version. You can sand angles on the flat areas at the joint as well so when the action is happening the baits two sections will come together more smoothly and not hit each other on the rounds.

Good Luck !!

Thanks Chris!!! Yes another good point.... I think sanding the edges of the pieces at the joint would make it run smoother on surface. I'm going to test it "as is" to see how it performs.

Very neatly done!!

Thanks Dusky!!!

I see you took some friendly advice from last time.

Nice looking baits.

And what Roy said.Loop da loop. :D

Thanks Brian!!! Yes the advice from this community is number 1 :clapping:

It really helps in making better lures!!!

Thanks again guys for your great advice.

Leechman

Edited by Leechman

Here you go, Jacques. Those are both open eyed screws obviously. The two items on the left are drill bits made specifically to screw those eyes in a high speeds. It's a real time saver when you have a bunch of them to do.

009.jpg

Here you go, Jacques. Those are both open eyed screws obviously. The two items on the left are drill bits made specifically to screw those eyes in a high speeds. It's a real time saver when you have a bunch of them to do.

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn28/Ba...20stuff/009.jpg

Thank you Roy, you're a gentlemen and a scholar..... much appreciated :thumbsup_anim:

I've never seen these types of bits before..... can you buy them in any hardware stores??

I guess you don't need any glue with this type of eyes.... once they're in.... that's it B)

Nice Job Leechman!

Have you ever though about adding a spinning tail like on the "Torpedo" style lures?

http://www.ustacould.com/lures/tiny5.jpg

Thanks LucG!!! You just gave me an idea.... the blade would make a terrific addition. Thanks my friend!!!

Thank you Roy, you're a gentlemen and a scholar..... much appreciated :thumbsup_anim:

I've never seen these types of bits before..... can you buy them in any hardware stores??

I guess you don't need any glue with this type of eyes.... once they're in.... that's it B)

Jacques, I don't know that you can buy the bits in hardware stores, I got mine at luremaking.com. You can easily enough make your own by grinding/sawing an appropriately sized channel in an old socket.

For the screws, even the best ones will pull out of softwood if you're after muskies. Best way for soft or hardwood is to predrill a hole just very slightly bigger than what you need for the screw.... shoot a little 2-ton epoxy in there then drop the screw in.Make sure it's facing the right way cause it ain't goin' nowhere after it sets.

Jacques, I don't know that you can buy the bits in hardware stores, I got mine at luremaking.com. You can easily enough make your own by grinding/sawing an appropriately sized channel in an old socket.

For the screws, even the best ones will pull out of softwood if you're after muskies. Best way for soft or hardwood is to predrill a hole just very slightly bigger than what you need for the screw.... shoot a little 2-ton epoxy in there then drop the screw in.Make sure it's facing the right way cause it ain't goin' nowhere after it sets.

Thank you Roy!!! I'll check out luremaking .com :worthy: I know that you make musky lures and what you just explained above makes perfect sense.... need to have the strongest hold possible because them gators have a vicious strike and will deliver a heavy bite that no other species other than big pike can. Also don't want to injure a fish because the eyes did not hold and it broke you off.

The ones I'm making are mostly for bass and pike.... but most importantly, for the fun of making them and maybe catch some fish :D Reward is sweet when you do B)

I do appreciate all of your great advice on the subject and want to say "Thank you mon ami Roy!!!"

looking good!

Thanks mepps!!!