Fishing Report

holdfast

So I arrive to the trailer and I find out I have no water. Seems when I talked to the town administrator last week and asked them where my water bill was, the Brain Dead Numpty decided to cut me off without any warning. Too bad they were closed, lucky for them, I guess, I have to deal with them on the phone which sucks as I wont be able to see their faces when I call them incompetant. I should grab my valve wrench from work and turn it on myself as they wont know the difference. Anyways good thing I kept a 5 gallon Jug of water that I had from the last winter when I had the water drained for the season.

Saturday I decided that I would head North and try out Dugout Lake using the Canoe. The road just got sloppy the more North I went. I passed a CO who had a culprit in their vehicle and I could see that he was being written up. Its Hunting season now and this guy is stopping everyone. He let me pass as he was busy I guess. I get to the Trail at Dugout and there was no way I was going to chance it. I turned around and headed south and I decided maybe Hackett Lake would be the ticket. No way, too windy for the Canoe. I met up with 3 Hunters who I would say were in their early 30s. They were drinking coffee around their ATVs. They looked pretty ragged and I suspect that they were in the Bush for a few days. I got some Int on the condition of some of the Lakes and I decided Ill take my chance on a wind sheltered drive to lake ,TOP Lake, which is close to my trailer anyways. I told the hunters that the CO was probably on their way up and they seemed anxious about getting things in order I thought. This time MR CO stops me and asks how the Hunting is. I says no man, Im fishing, he asks hows the fishing is and jokes about catching icebergs and checks my license. He and his young underling are having a good day catching offenders and he says there are lots. So off to Top Lake I go.

Here is what I find in the Parking Area on the ground below a makeshift hoist. Two butchered Moose carcasses left there to rot.

PA170011.jpg

PA170009.jpg

PA170008.jpg

PA170007.jpg

My question is, is it ethical even legal to just butcher a moose and just leave it. They were fresh kills because I found fresh blood pools right down to the launch and a small blood pool in the water on the bottom.

What is this, I found two of these spots between the launch and the carcass. It looks like stomach contents, but no blood, however there is some sort of organ with it.

PA170015.jpg

And it stank near shore but it wasn't rotting flesh, I know that smell well enough to know. It was something else and it was sickening. I couldn't tell where it was from though. The ravens where having a gorge-fest. Also, is it normal not to take the legs.

The fishing was slow, I trolled using a sinking Rapala and caught this little guy at 11 feet.

PA170020.jpg

I teased Spike a little bit

PA170021.jpg

PA170022.jpg

This one is a little bigger

PA170023.jpg

Never the less the lake was beautiful, could be my last day of the season

PA170019.jpg

This time I had time to actually go to shore and check out this monument on one of the Islands.

PA170028.jpg

PA170029.jpg

PA170030.jpg

I dont know what the story is on this guy I can only guess, hmm sad only 27. So its getting dark and I thought about those carcases and Bears. Better get to my truck before they get there. I also thought about those 3 hunters also

Well, you had a nice day in the bush. I wouldn't be upset over the carcasses. To me they are just heads and hides. The hunters skinned the moose right there rather than taking the junk to town. Other than having it properly tagged without the head, I can't see a problem. If they were native hunters they wouldn't need the tag part.

Good report and pics Rob!!! :Gonefishing::thumbsup_anim: ... but next time, spare me the gore pics... please!

That lake looked so nice and calm!!! B)

As for the Moose remains, to quote Josie Wales (the outlaw) "the buzzards gotta eat, just like the worms"!... as far as taking the legs, i figure they're about like deer legs and not much good meat on them.. they're mainly left for the scavengers and dogs.

It's good to hear the CO was active and busting the violators, I hate any kind of wildlife poacher.. fishing or hunting!!!

Thanks for taking the time to post!!!

... btw, looking forward to your ice fishing reports!!! :Gonefishing::canadian::thumbsup_anim:

well, good report and me being a bush man myself have come across some moose carcasses left to rot and its sad really. some i could tell were illegal kills as the natives i know dont hunt the area that i travel in but the closer i get to the reserve theres the odd moose carcass. yup... if you ever travel back on Old Goulais Bay Rd. and some of the side trails up here you will find some moose bones and other wild game carcasses. my most recent discovery though was in the spring with some bones back on the road that still had the marrow in them so i thought that they were from last season.

Edited by bigredneck

Great report and pics holdfast :thumbsup_anim:

Sounds like you had a great time on the water and got into some nice ones!!!

Looks like the guys that shot that moose were in a hurry to leave with the meat.... but it's not uncommon to see left overs along the bush especially during hunting season.

Thanks for sharing

Leechman

I don't do any big game hunting, but when I took my hunters education course, the instructor said that after you field dress the animal, just leave the carcasses in the bush as another animal will eat it.

Our instructor told us to burry the remains.. which doesn't make sense.. might as ell leave it for other animals..

I don't do any big game hunting, but when I took my hunters education course, the instructor said that after you field dress the animal, just leave the carcasses in the bush as another animal will eat it.

yes, i do agree with that but drag it off a little further into the bush so that people dont have to look at it or have a surprise encounter with a bear or wolf or somethin of that sort.

• 2 weeks later...

great report holdfast, love the pics of spike, i've also got a jack russell who loves the outdoors

nothing illegal or unethical with those moose pics, very, very, common sight in the bush around here, the head does not have to be attached or transported with the animal, the vulva or scrotum do for sex identification, most likely if you were to return the next day all of it would be gone, other than the stomach contents, (and if something big enough is around to haul the head away )

as for finding bones in bush, that is also very common, a little known fact, a few years ago rules were changed that required you to take ALL parts of the wild animal that you brought to a commercial butcher, which means all bones and waste, it is then to be disposed on crown land away from towns / homes for the other scavengers to eat, though a lot of commercial butchers still dispose of the waste with their regular waste it is illegal, also illegal for you to put it in with you're household trash or the landfill