WOW! Nice rack!

Skud

Well after three weeks and about 350 pictures of raccoons a few deer decided to walk in front of the lense. The acorn Rage bait was devoured by the bandits so I dumped some apples, carrots and corn in the zone. Yes I did get about another 50 pics of raccoons but I had some other critters raid the bait.

Black Squirrels a plenty

Squirrels.jpg

Bluejays

Bluejay.jpg

And more Raccoons

Daycoons.jpg

The raccoons kept this Doe at bay

Doe.jpg

But then the big boy moved in. I have about 20 pictures over 4 nights of this sweet 10 point.

Buck.jpg

Buck2.jpg

Very excited about this guy. His neck is already quite swollen for the rut. Unfortunately he is only coming around at night but hopefully that changes during the rut. I restocked the spot with 50lbs of fresh apples today and I will get some more carrots out there too during mid week. I will give it another week before I sit in the stand.

would it make you feel better if there was a fishing line attached to it ???? :dunno:

... as a matter of fact, it would make me feel a helluva lot better... then you could C&R!... ever heard of anyone shooting and releasing a deer???

Am I then only one that can figure this stuff out???

GCD, you bait to see who is in the neighborhood. The deer aren't going to say cheese into the camera without a good reason. You then rattle or call in those bucks when you're sitting in the stand. Would it be unsportsmanlike to hunt near an apple tree? I hear you Yanks like to hunt over the 'food plots' that are planted by the hunter. That's baiting too. It's having a bow in hand rather then a high powered rifle that makes it sporting.

Leechman, it is most unlikely that I will have a crack at that mature buck. But I do know the younger bucks will run his scrap trail during the daylight to avoid getting there butts kicked by the top buck. I am hoping that some rattling will piss him off enough to have him come take a look.

sooooooooo I guess u never use live bait :unsure:

Fishing with live bait is completely legal... hunting over bait will get your firearm, ATV, and pickup truck taken away from you in the state of Alabama!!!

GCD, you bait to see who is in the neighborhood. The deer aren't going to say cheese into the camera without a good reason. You then rattle or call in those bucks when you're sitting in the stand. Would it be unsportsmanlike to hunt near an apple tree? I hear you Yanks like to hunt over the 'food plots' that are planted by the hunter. That's baiting too. It's having a bow in hand rather then a high powered rifle that makes it sporting.

There are time limits on "greenfields" too!!!... hunting them too soon will get your firearm, ATV, and pickup taken away too!!!

Personally myself, I say leave Bambi for when times get tough! (are you really that broke and hungry?)

I could hunt them from my computer room and dining room windows if I wanted to... but I prefer to watch their natural beauty... and save them for more difficult times!... that may be something y'all don't understand..

Personally myself, I say leave Bambi for when times get tough! (are you really that broke and hungry?)

I could hunt them from my computer room and dining room windows if I wanted to... but I prefer to watch their natural beauty... and save them for more difficult times!... that may be something y'all don't understand..

I understand and respect your choice on the matter. I even agree with you. That's probably why I haven't taken a deer for over ten years. I would rather watch or take pictures of deer than have to do all that work it takes to get venison on the dinner table. Much easier to buy burgers. But I have to young boys that I feel need to learn how to hunt for themselves. I hunt from a ground blind so they can spend some time with me in the field and learn the ropes. I might not be around when times get tough, they will need to fend for themselves. We must keep our heritage going, our right to hunt. Yes, baiting makes it easier for me. Considering the lack of time I have to put into hunting due to work, I will take that edge. Cheers

Unfortunately, you can't save them for more difficult times. You got a woodlot that can support say 20 deer, the population of that woodlot will be 20 today and 20 in 50 years time, with some slight variation over the years because of environmental conditions. The only way you can save a deer for food is in the freezer.

Unfortunately, you can't save them for more difficult times. You got a woodlot that can support say 20 deer, the population of that woodlot will be 20 today and 20 in 50 years time, with some slight variation over the years because of environmental conditions. The only way you can save a deer for food is in the freezer.

100% you can not disagree with that!!

Edited by fishermccann