got bag of bass in freezer going to cook up but how

skinny

ok I have bunch of bass filet's in freezer . we have some friends going to come over next weekend and they like fish. So I need some pointers on batter and cooking right from defrost to serving

my wife has not had bass before so trying to make this a good experience (she loves perch)

If your wife liked the Perch, do the Bass the same way.

My thoughts exactly...

I'm defrosting 18 fillets of perch as we speak...

I plan on rolling them in corn flour...dip in an egg and gingerale wash...roll in Italian spiced breadcrumbs and fry in a 1\2 inch of hot peanut oil until golden brown...

Will serve them with roasted potatoes and a garden salad...

I know my bro and sis-in-law will like them this way...they always have... :thumbsup_anim:

Edited by Beans

I'm going to give you the skinny on cooking fish skinny!... don't serve it to guests until you've become proficient at cooking it, experiment on your family first! Fish isn't hard to cook, but it's even easier to screw up!!!

... for guests, cook something that you do well!... hamburgers, steaks, or maybe a nice leg of lamb!!!

You might get lucky and have the fish turn out well your first time, but the odds are against you!!!

Do you really want to look like an idiot in front of your friends?

As far as thawing the fish, they should be thawed in the refrigerator a day or 2 before cooking.. depending on the fillet "mass"!

All of this will be learned in time and over a period of "trial and error"!!!

As for recipes, Beans recipe sounds a lot like my wifes... except she goes the simpler route!

1. Thaw fillets (as mentioned above)

2. Pat fillets dry with paper towels!

3. Dip in beaten egg (maybe add a teaspoon of milk or 2)

4. Roll in Italian flavored bread crumbs (we like Progresso brand)

5. Fry in hot peanut oil (around 400*F)

6. Drain on a plate covered with paper toweld ina 200*F oven while cooking the rest of the fillets!

7. Serve warm with with seafood cocktail sauce and side dishes like french fries. cole slaw, baked beans. potato salad, steamed rice, steamed veggies, salads... or if you screw it up, lots of high octane alcohol!!!

... but most importantly, practice before you serve it to guests... do I have to do all the thinking around here???

One thing you should do is soak the fillets in beer over night in the fridge BEFORE you freeze them (for next time ;)) to remove the blood that may remain. Then wash and freeze. If you want, you can defrost in a zip lock bag *with beer in it* in the fridge to remove any blood and add a more mellow taste to the fish. Like all others said, egg dip and bread crumbs (or brand name box that tells you what to do) and go from there. I too use veg. oil with a tea spoon of butter in to change the flav. a bit.

GCD *AKA DAWG* does make a good point, cook it for personal use the first few times before you give it to a guest. You don't want to dish out 3/4 cooked fish to someone you are trying to get interested in fish... ;)

Edited by GBW

Oh and feel free to ask those friends how they like the fish cooked and see what they say. You can always tell the person "I have never tried that so can you help me cook it when you get here?" just an idea... ;)

I agree with GCD. Experiment with the family before inviting guests. Badly cooked fish is a disaster and yes....like GCD said, fish is easy to cook but it's also easy to mess up.

I would even experiment a handfull of recipes at one time in order to find the one you like the best....starting out with just frying a couple of fillets in flour and then straight into the fry pan. Also try out a few fillets cut into cubes in beer batter and cooked in the deep fryer. There are also some great recipes for oven cooked fish and maybe a couple of fillets with lemon juice, onions and a bit of salt and pepper then wrapped in aluminum foil and cooked in the oven. Make it into a family thing with everybody cooking the fish a different way.

If the fillets are not frozen in water, take them out of the freezer the night before and place them in the fridge. If frozen in water, sit in a bowl on the counter first thing in the morning.

Use vegetable oil like the past post said, it's easier to control.

Dip the fish pieces in egg and then in plain bread crumbs spiced with whatever you want ( I like Thai Spices). Make sure the oil is hot enough (should also be deep enough for the pieces to float) that the pieces sizzle when you put them in the oil, they will be greasy if you put them in too soon. Stay by the stove and don't leave. Keep an eye on the oil while it's heating up so it doesn't get too hot (an electric frying pan would benefit you in keeping the temp around 375). Turn the pieces when they become golden brown, that should only take 2 minutes. Place them on something to absorb the oil and keep warm. I like to serve with some dipping sauces if people say they aren't crazy about fish. Everyone eats it whether they like fish or not.