Bait for Perch And Crappie

ERB

Hello everyone I am getting ready for the ice fishing season. Seems like a lot of people use Gulp magots and waxies for perch and Crappie. I was just wondering what colour most people use? Also what other baits work well for you?

Thanks

Live minnows are my winter go to bait for Crappie!!!... but last winter some folks on here were raving about the Gulp Fish Fry, so I just recently purchased a couple of jars for this winter... I'll try them against the live minnows to see which works the best.

As far as color, if the water is really stained/dirty/muddy... pink works the best, if it's just a bit stained/dirty/muddy... then the color is yellow. if the water is clear... white is the color to go with! This holds true for jig colors and the plastic grubs/tubes that go on them.

For Crappie, pink/white can be killer... and so can chartreuse/black!.. and then there's the Electric Rooster pink/chartreuse!!! ;)

I don`t ice fish, I have fished for quite a long time though and for a variety of species at times, far and away the best bait I have seen for perch and crappie is emerald shiners, or they may be called lake minnows. They work any season I have fished and for a lot of different species. Just not my choice of bait for a long time as I generally fish for larger species and the lake minnows aren`t large enough to keep small fish away.

You can take the first crappie-perch you catch and scale a spot on the white belly with a pocket knife, cut a small strip of the scaled white belly meat, leave the skin on, meat will tear off easily with out it. Put it on a small jig or hook instead of a minnow.

Piece of worm will work for perch, haven`t had as much luck for crappie on live worms, but other might.

• 2 months later...

I've been having a close look at some of the smaller "Gulp" products for icefishing...

I inch fish fry...1 inch minnows...minnow heads...maggots and/or waxworms...

They all look good for tipping a small Rapala jig or teardrop jig or tiny swedish pimple...or maybe on one of Dawg's sabiki rigs...

I have them all on my BPS wish list at present...can't make up my mind which... :dunno: