where to live in toronto

jnic

It all depends on how long you want your commute to be. Assuming you’re moving to the area for work.

There's tons of small towns and cities north of T.O.

Edited by F to the Is-H

Wherever you choose, make sure your home is not west of your work. You'll have sun in your eyes for the drive to work and the drive home. Just thought I'd throw that out there for the folks who don't own sunglasses.

Guest skeeter99
Wherever you choose, make sure your home is not west of your work. You'll have sun in your eyes for the drive to work and the drive home. Just thought I'd throw that out there for the folks who don't own sunglasses.

depends if he works night shift he will not want a home in the east sun in eyes on way to work and home every morning

Solid call Roy.

Lots of areas east of TO, not too far of a commute. I live at the gateway to cottage country and travel to the big smoke everyday. It's a trade off, but I am content being close to awesome fishing minutes from home.

I have co-workers who live closer to TO and some within the city who have the same commute time wise as me.

Edited by Harrison

I have to agree with Harrison. You can get alot further away from the city should you choose to move East of it and still spend the same time commuting as people who are much closer, say those in Mississauga. Naturally it all depends on where and when you work. I was commuting from Peterborough for awhile but that was a bit of a stretch. Newcastle would be a good distance.

West Hill is a nice area. I live there. I back onto a Creek, 5 minutes walk from the lake and close to the highway. I can be downtown anytime in 15-20 minutes. I can get piza @ 3 in the morning and be @ the Launch on Scugog by 4am. :lol:

DON'T DO IT!!!!!!!

I commuted from the Orangeville area to TO, Mississauga and Markham areas for 10 years, what a PIA!!!

Commute times were anywhere from 2 hours to 4 1/2 hours each way, every day!!!!

You end up spending 20 hours plus in traffic each week!!!!!!!

When I felt that I was going to go on a shooting spree on the highway, I moved to Yellowknife!!!! :D

All is good now, Great Job, Awesome fishing seconds from home and an 8 minute commute!!!!!!

Working in Toronto SUCKS, unless you live there, Commuting for hours when you should be with your family SUCKS!!!!!!

I'm 2 km south of Kleinburg, 2 minutes from hwy 27, 3 minutes from the 400 and BPS, 5 minutes to Hwy 7, all of the conveniences anyone could ever need; the city above Toronto :rolleyes:

Nice and quiet, no traffic, but I do commute to King and Dufferin every day and not crazy about it!

Newmarket is nice and so is Maple . . .

Thanks for the info, I will be working down near lakeshore in etobicoke, i believe the area is called mimico. The times i work are not 9-5. thanks again

I lived in Aurora my whole life and now settled in Barrie. I don't drive to Toronto everyday and if I had to I certainly wouldn't be living up here. People who live in Barrie to commute to Toronto everyday are crazy - so many hours of life wasted in driving.

Also FYI - Anything north of highway 9 is part of the Ontario snow belt (Barrie is smack in the middle of it). It doesn't matter if you work 9-5 or 5-1 you will have terrible drives in the winter if you plan to live here and drive to Toronto everyday. It's one thing to be stuck in traffic for 2hrs+ each way during rush hour, it's another when you feel your life could be at risk when the snow blows over the 400 between hwy 88-89. That stretch is one of the worst drives in Ontario in the winter from whiteouts (Just 1 or 2 winters ago there was a 75+ car pileup there).

If you're going to work in Toronto everyday, do yourself a favour and live close.

Thanks for the info, I will be working down near lakeshore in etobicoke, i believe the area is called mimico. The times i work are not 9-5. thanks again

If you are going to work there look at South East Mississauga.

Your commute will be short, there are some nice quiet, old neighbourhoods and it's close to the QEW, but most important is it's close to the launch ramps at Lake Front Promenade Park on Lake Ontario.

I lived by Dixie Mall for 15 years and it was a nice area.

It depends, if you want to live close to the city you could try stouffville, kleinberg, king city, bolton, uxbridge....

Kleinburg and King a VERY expensive... mostly estate housing... that's where all the hockey players live (Cujo, Wendel, etc...)

AH living in Toronto....longest ten minutes of my life....

Actually, it's a GREAT city, contrary to what a lot of rural folks think... and it's still one of the safest big cities on the planet... stats will back that up!

I love the great outdoors and I need a break form the city once in a while, but nothing beat the lifestyle, amenities, shopping, dining, culture of a big city...

I guess to each his own...

good luck in your search...

try ViewIT.com for rental info...has entire GTA