Boater's Course

GeorgeJ

I see a couple of adds in kijiji where guys are offering the Boater's course at their homes and promoting the idea of getting it done before home testing ends. Anybody hear that it's ending or think home testing should? I did it at home and followed the rules but I see where cheating would be easy if you don't take it seriously.

The whole boater's competency card thing is a sham anyway but, seeing as you have to get it done, don't go the fly by night route. Do it with the power and sail squadron in your area and at least for the same $ learn something in the process.

i think its better if you cant do it at home i took the test at the catfish derby and passed it when i was 11 or 12 without cheating and all my friends from high school and the ones now did it at home a cheated which pissed me off i studied when i was younger so i could get it and all theses other people just look up the answers or give the person doing the test a few extra bucks and they get it whit out doing anything i think its good they are ending home testing

The whole boater's competency card thing is a sham anyway but, seeing as you have to get it done, don't go the fly by night route. Do it with the power and sail squadron in your area and at least for the same $ learn something in the process.

:worthy::worthy::worthy::worthy::worthy::worthy::worthy::worthy: what he said

I did the exam up at the booth in Honey Harbour a couple of months ago and I agree that it's pretty much a joke but after some thought and seeing the boneheads out on the water who have absolutely NO CLUE of rights of way, safety equipment, etc.... and after speaking to a few of the OPP officers in the area, it at least hopefully leaves you knowing who has the right of way (which, by the way is like a car at a 4way stop sign, the guy on the right has the right of way) and in channels, the bigger vessel has the right of way or sail boats under sail power have the right of way. It's a big issue with me because I'll tell ya, I've almost been run down by guys in their big cruisers blasting through no wake zones and have almost been run down from the port side by guys just blasting around recklessly. There should be a more formal licensing process because as we all know, boats don't have brakes on them.

I did the exam up at the booth in Honey Harbour a couple of months ago and I agree that it's pretty much a joke but after some thought and seeing the boneheads out on the water who have absolutely NO CLUE of rights of way, safety equipment, etc.... and after speaking to a few of the OPP officers in the area, it at least hopefully leaves you knowing who has the right of way (which, by the way is like a car at a 4way stop sign, the guy on the right has the right of way) and in channels, the bigger vessel has the right of way or sail boats under sail power have the right of way. It's a big issue with me because I'll tell ya, I've almost been run down by guys in their big cruisers blasting through no wake zones and have almost been run down from the port side by guys just blasting around recklessly. There should be a more formal licensing process because as we all know, boats don't have brakes on them.

Do you drive a car or just live near water and only use a boat? Its the same crap on the roads, they deffinately need a more stringent licensing system for both the road and the waterways!

I see a couple of adds in kijiji where guys are offering the Boater's course at their homes and promoting the idea of getting it done before home testing ends. Anybody hear that it's ending or think home testing should? I did it at home and followed the rules but I see where cheating would be easy if you don't take it seriously.

I took one of those online courses. Not because I'm lazy, but because it fits for my busy lifestyle.

Ever since I took the test I've been getting spam mail from the company warning me to tell my friends to sign up for online testing. They say it MAY become standardized after the September 15th deadline (making it harder I assume is the angle they are going for), hurry and get your test before they make these changes. Its now well after September 15th and nothing has changed.

All these statements are legal tactics. If you notice none of the statements are definite, thus they are just making a suggestion of what COULD happen.

Anything to sell a product/service these days....competition is brutal!

Agreed. There seems to be an awful lot of uneducated rednecks wreaking havoc north of the French.

Touche. Though I like to think of that Im up to as mirth vs. havoc.

Ever want to be entertained? Go to a "town hall meeting" regarding resources in SSM. The aforementioned contingent is present and vocal. I had the pleasure of hosting and moderating many.

Agreed. There seems to be an awful lot of uneducated rednecks wreaking havoc north of the French.

The thing is, there aren't enough of us to wreak any havoc.

When you get a population jambed in like sardines, you get havoc, controversy and lots of rules.

We don't need the rules of an overpopulated region.

At least we get a bit of a break on licensing fees :D

Touche. Though I like to think of that Im up to as mirth vs. havoc.

Ever want to be entertained? Go to a "town hall meeting" regarding resources in SSM. The aforementioned contingent is present and vocal. I had the pleasure of hosting and moderating many.

Touche?

You moved away...keep quiet :D:rolleyes:

And Monday night council meeting is hilarious

The websites are still active, so you should still be able to do it on line. I'm not sure why people think that after the deadline you have to take the course in a classroom?

Its a scare tatic to get people to sign up NOW versus waiting.

Well, I'm not scared.

I got my card yesterday in the mail...they spelt my name wrong...will I be in trouble?

They spelled my name wrong as well. Sent them an email about it, but never heard back from them... Then I forgot about it. I've had my card for two years now.

Some test protocols effective Jan7 2008

The test site must be owned leased occupied or otherwise controlled by the course provider but that is in no way controlled by the candidate taking the test.

No test can be administered in the candidates private residence.

Candidate must produce 1 pc photo ID or 2 pc ID that must be compared to answer sheet info to confirm this is the person writing the test.

Candidate cannot communicate with anyone other than test provider.

A copy of test protocols must be on site for testing.

I got 9 pages of this stuff but you can see how strict they are, testing in your own home has been against the rules for almost 2 years. A provider can test you in his home but not yours.

Some test protocols effective Jan7 2008

The test site must be owned leased occupied or otherwise controlled by the course provider but that is in no way controlled by the candidate taking the test.

No test can be administered in the candidates private residence.

Candidate must produce 1 pc photo ID or 2 pc ID that must be compared to answer sheet info to confirm this is the person writing the test.

Candidate cannot communicate with anyone other than test provider.

A copy of test protocols must be on site for testing.

I got 9 pages of this stuff but you can see how strict they are, testing in your own home has been against the rules for almost 2 years. A provider can test you in his home but not yours.

I think I had better give my card back

The WHOLE thing just adds up to a money grab.......I'm sure it wouldn't be long and the scam will be repeated down here.... :wallbash:

ding! ding! ding! we have a winner...

doing the test at home was fun. have the test open in window A and have the answer sheet open in window B. the test is a joke, money grab, waste of time and thats how it should be treated.

The WHOLE thing just adds up to a money grab.......I'm sure it wouldn't be long and the scam will be repeated down here.... :wallbash:

Its all money grabs, gun registry, boaters card, fishing licences. Lets penalize people for enjoying the outdoors. Dont get me wrong I'm all for safer boating and use of firearms as well as fishing conservation but the current methods have little to do with safety and conservatipon and everything to do with more money for the government.

Its all money grabs, gun registry, boaters card, fishing licences. Lets penalize people for enjoying the outdoors. Dont get me wrong I'm all for safer boating and use of firearms as well as fishing conservation but the current methods have little to do with safety and conservatipon and everything to do with more money for the government.

Ding, ding, ding.........another bell ringer.

We did a group test at camp, the guy pulled up on the beach with his pontoon boat gave us all a test, we all sat around in our lawn chairs filling in the answers, that were given to us ..lol, took about 1/2 hr for the whole thing, the wife writing the answers for her's and mine. clasic, anyway nobody failed! all 14 of us.

my wife even has her's , and she has no idea what a bow or stern is, good to have if iam drinking tho, ok... hun, you drive..he he this is the front also know as the stern and this is the back of the boat also know as the bow, no wait ...ahhh just drive.