Garmin fish finder

Guest Johnny Bass

I personally would only buy an Eagle or Lowrance but I have a deal for a Garmin fishfinder with GPS. I think a 178C sounder.Are they any good?

I wouldn't buy a Eagle or Lowrance ever again. I have them for two years and they breakdown. I phoned Eagle/Lowrance and they tell me I should be getting 2 to 3 years out of my units before I have to replace the transducer. That is unacceptable. I got a Humminbird 728 with unconditional guarantee for three years for a little more money, and better unit. I have a humminbird that still works and is 15 yrs old. My new one will interchange with my old base, no need to run new wires or install new brackets. Oh BTW Johnny that Garmin should be a good unit! :D

Rob C

I wouldn't buy a Eagle or Lowrance ever again. I have them for two years and they breakdown. I phoned Eagle/Lowrance and they tell me I should be getting 2 to 3 years out of my units before I have to replace the transducer. That is unacceptable. I got a Humminbird 728 with unconditional guarantee for three years for a little more money, and better unit. I have a humminbird that still works and is 15 yrs old. My new one will interchange with my old base, no need to run new wires or install new brackets. Oh BTW Johnny that Garmin should be a good unit! :D

Rob C

Humminbird all the way Dude!!!... made by Rednecks, for Rednecks!!!

Personally for me Johnny Bass, the Garmin only offers a dual beam transducer... I would go with the Humminbird triple or quadruple beam unit and transducer, your "cone" will be much larger in shallow water... and if you fish in a waterway that doesn't have shipping lanes, I wouldn't go over 2400 watts on a unit... but that's just me eh!

Guest Johnny Bass

Ya I had two hummingbirds. One was a portable and worked well, the other was only good for depth, speed and water temperature. Never replaced the transducers on any. But this garmin seems to be a sweet deal. I hear they go for almost a grand. But they are discontinued and cant find too much info on them. Anyways, thanks for the input. I'll check it out.