Smooth Rock Falls

terry71

Hello everyone. My brother is going moose hunting for the next ten days up at Smooth Rock Falls. I was wondering if anyone here knew of the place and also where to start if he was to go fishing? He is the only fisherman out of the hunters at the camp. So he could use all the help he could get. Also, is there snow up there and are the lakes starting to ice up?

Thanks very much,

Terry

I am from SRF originallly lived there for 20 years. Where is the hunting camp that he is going to??? The Mattagami river is full of walleyes.

There was snow there on Sat. morning but the lakes are not iced up yet.

Edited by wallyboss

Terry, if worse comes to worse and you don't find the info you're looking for, stop in at the Falls Hospital. A detox is only a part of its vocation. The boss there, Dr. Daniel Lebel, is my nephew and an avid fisherman. He'll point you in the right direction.

Terry the 11 in SRF goes West to East??? Is he on the road to Fraserdale??? Or the East side of the Abitibi River??

Roy, I know Dr. Lebel. He is very well liked up there but he is at the new Hospital not the one that was turned into the detox. I met him once but under very hard circumstances, he was trying to explain to me that my Dad would be better taken off the machines so as not to let him suffer any longer. It was the hardest decision we ever took. My Mom thinks of Dr. Lebel as her Saint!!!

I'm also from SRF - Grew up there - moved out 20 yrs ago (wow - time flies)!

Pretty cold this time of year for fishing, but as mentioned above, there is good pickeral/pike (and i hear that they are catchin the odd SM Bass there now..?) fishin in the Mattag..

If 'uncle harold' is Harold Priebe, then you are up the Mattagami river near the famous 'Catsass'...good fishin right there - or just up the river at Island Falls...and even better if you can make it to Yellow Falls...

Let us know how you made out!!

Ken

Kenny supposedly they catch lots of smallies around Islands falls. And they get all pissed off when they catch em too. What I have heard about how the smallies got in there was when they stocked a small lake in Timmins and didn't know that the lake and the Mattagami river were joined by an underground stream or something.