why?

BassAsin

So i havnt been on here a whole heck of a lot this summer as i had the net cut off in april, so going back to mid august i bought myself a boat a 14 foot springbok with a 20 johnson and a trailer. Thrown in was a couple new paddles 4 life jackets 2 brand new leather swivel seats new trailer bearings and a few other things for 1000$ what a steal.

so i'm down at the in-laws right now doin a bit of fishing and bowhunting, went out today and got into 2 largies and had two musky come off. back the boat up beside the house and came in, ate some dinner and took a nap and got up around 7 watched the tube for a bit when someone started knocking on the front window yelling "your boats on fire" i run outside to see the massive flames rolling off the brand new boat cover and grab the hose and put the fire out.

Assuming the fire was electrical i checked the cables on the back battery hooked up to the bilge wires are good no melting not the problem checked the front battery attached to the bow mount trolling motor and wires are good because i always unhook them at the end of the day so i dont accidently flip on the motor and get hit with the prop. i peel back the part of the tarp that hasnt burned and see 4 melted rod 2 brand new fenwicks and 2 brand new quantums. the tears started to roll at this time. i made up a quick list of whats lost and it works out to close to 1400$ not counting the hole melted through the side of the boat which isn't all that repairable either, so somewhere around 2500$ as a loss with no insurance on the boat.

so as the the topic in the title i keep asking why someone would do this, why? the house is right beside a track and field where many people walk by and there is no fence. why?

Well its a long shot but was the cover ever in contact with a fuel leak even in a small portion?

Some covers can carry a decent static charge. with a light wind ruffling it around against your graphite rods a spark "could" ignite it if there was enough exelerant present (cue the CSI theme)

Its pretty unlikely but possible?

Figure someone flicked a butt in there or burned it purposely Matt?? Call the Police.

BTW.. good to finally meet you this fall.

Wayne

no sign of a butt although a possibility police have been called they took A as in 1 picture and said "we'll let ya know if we find out anymore" didn't sound to positive,

As for meeting it was a pleasure had my eyes peeled for ya everytime i was in temagami.

Well its a long shot but was the cover ever in contact with a fuel leak even in a small portion?

Some covers can carry a decent static charge. with a light wind ruffling it around against your graphite rods a spark "could" ignite it if there was enough exelerant present (cue the CSI theme)

Its pretty unlikely but possible?

brand spanking new tarp and the gas is all under the casting deck in the back of the boat. no leak anywhere, although it was the tarp that kept the fire spreading down the length of the boat.

I gather you have home insurance.

Give them a call and see if it is covered because it was on the property at the time of the fire.

Couldn't hurt right?

i would like to do that drifter but i was at the in laws so its not my insurance, couldnt hurt though i'll get ahold of them today

I've been looking for somthing like that all summer long. Why did you have to go and burn it up.

she was a plain jane 14 when i bought it i put all the work into it casting deck in the front and back 2 pedestal seats livewell plywood floor trolling motor bilge for livewell nav lights all run off a switch it was my mini bass boat

by the looks of it your boat should be repair able but if the fire was hot enough your boat might have warped and popped some rivits so where ever you bring it for repair let them know and you might be better to get the seems around the hole welded just in case the heat warped part of the boat good luck hope you can fix it

that is awful. sorry it happened.

if you look at the depth of charring it sort of looks like it started near the starboard wood support for your bow deck. Hard to tell from the pictures, is that where the hull is scorched on the outside too?

you store anything under there? rags? bug spray?

i would like to do that drifter but i was at the in laws so its not my insurance, couldnt hurt though i'll get ahold of them today

Check with your insurance, I know mine has a value limit, but since it's a 16' and 25HP or under, there's an automatic coverage of $3000, no matter where it's parked.

that is awful. sorry it happened.

if you look at the depth of charring it sort of looks like it started near the starboard wood support for your bow deck. Hard to tell from the pictures, is that where the hull is scorched on the outside too?

you store anything under there? rags? bug spray?

i would think thats where it started, i'm a firefighter and it points right to there, the only thing under there was a lifejacket and a tackle box