Cabela's

Jonny

Just got back from a trip last week to Dayton/Pittsburgh/ Gettysburg/Washington DC.

Stopping in at the Cabela's in Hamburg PA was worth the hour's detour on the way home. The place is huge - a great selection of outdoors stuff, sure, but also some outstanding taxidermy work, restaurant on the second floor, etc. The Deer Hall alone has over 100 full mounts and (atypical) heads displayed.

The Bass Pro Shop in Vaughn is like a corner store compared to this place!

Not much luck shopping though. I had three things in particular in mind -

A blaze orange bandana for our dog - not available.

A pair of blaze orange insulated hunting gloves - not available (there were acres of camo but not much blaze orange!)

A good buy on a pair of hunting boots - found a pair I liked but they weren't available in my size!

My wife bought a box of fudge --- how lame is that! :D

PA0100021024x768.jpg

PA0100041024x768.jpg

PA0100061024x768.jpg

PA0100071024x768.jpg

PA0100081024x768.jpg

PA0100131024x768.jpg

PA0100141024x768.jpg

PA0100281024x768.jpg

PA0100291024x768.jpg

I went to Cabelas for the first time in Idaho and yes it was quite amazing. I certainly hope that one does come up this way and give BPS some healthy competition. Thanks for sharing those awesome pictures.

Maybe what impresses the most, if you stand back and think about it, is the enormous amount of money (and profit) involved in selling outdoors equipment. There's no other way you could fund an extravaganza like a Cabela's store! :D

Darn I want one here in Quebec for the last 2 yrs I have heard rumors about either Cabelas or Basspro Shop building one in Mirabel Quebec.

I have seen signs with Bass Pro logo on HWY 15 but keep hearing about Cabelas.All has been posponed due to the recession.

Time will tell.

Thanks for those pics of Cabelas!!!!!!

Darn I want one here in Quebec for the last 2 yrs I have heard rumors about either Cabelas or Basspro Shop building one in Mirabel Quebec.

I have seen signs with Bass Pro logo on HWY 15 but keep hearing about Cabelas.All has been posponed due to the recession.

Time will tell.

Thanks for those pics of Cabelas!!!!!!

Cabela's started the construction,then pulled the plug.

BassPro took over the site.

Cabela's would have been way better.

I was all ready to do the trek from Mississauga when it opened . It really bummed me out when they pulled the plug.