White Salmon meat

Trevor0179

I understand really red/orange flesh such as in Lake trout---freshwater shrimp

Bushart

I know there are some red and orange shrimp in some places, but most of the freshwater and saltwater shrimp I've ever seen are translucent/clear when they're alive... they turn red, pink, or orange after they've died or have been cooked!

... and all the Lake Trout I've ever caught have been caught on baitfish, as a mater of fact... baitfish are just about all I've ever heard anyone catching lakers on!

The diet theory doesn't hold any water with me... it sounds like an excuse people are making up to justify eating rotting fish... and to keep from hurling when they think about how much of it they have eaten!!! :rolleyes:

Edited by GCD

I know there are some red and orange shrimp in some places, but most of the freshwater and saltwater shrimp I've ever seen are translucent/clear when they're alive... they turn red, pink, or orange after they've died or have been cooked!

... and all the Lake Trout I've ever caught have been caught on baitfish, as a mater of fact... baitfish are just about all I've ever heard anyone catching lakers on!

The diet theory doesn't hold any water with me... it sounds like an excuse people are making up to justify eating rotting fish... and to keep from hurling when they think about how much of it they have eaten!!! :rolleyes:

Lake trout that subsist on baitfish have white meat. Most large bodies of water and many small inland lakes harbour white fleshed namaycush.

However many if not most of the lakers found in small infertile shield lakes are planktiverous in nature.

Their diet is almost exclusively composed of crustaceons, shrimp, and bug larvae.

These fish generally top out at 3-5lb's and their flesh is so orange it's almost red.

Their red flesh is entirely due to their planktiverous diet.

Lake trout that subsist on baitfish have white meat. Most large bodies of water and many small inland lakes harbour white fleshed namaycush.

However many if not most of the lakers found in small infertile shield lakes are planktiverous in nature.

Their diet is almost exclusively composed of crustaceons, shrimp, and bug larvae.

These fish generally top out at 3-5lb's and their flesh is so orange it's almost red.

Their red flesh is entirely due to their planktiverous diet.... so you're making excuses for eating the rotting fish too???

uhhh, yeah... explain this:

IMG_0110.jpg

and this:

AlbertaCanadaFishinPics016.jpg

Caught in Cold Lake Alberta on frozen anchovies.

Edited by GCD

I say you are only 4'6" tall and that fish is 5lbs....LOLOLOLOLOLOL

My name is not Herve Villechaize or Roy, I stand 5'-9" in stocking feet!

richyb Posted Today, 07:45 PM

I have only caught lakers from lake simcoe. The meat is orange and their diet is smelts, herring, and likely small whitefish.

That's what I'm talking about richyb!!! :thumbsup_anim:

The red or pink flesh comes from a diet rich in the pigment astaxanthin.

Shrimp contain very high concentrations of astaxanthin. When they are raw, you generally cannot see it. It is covered by proteins which make the shells look dark. When you cook the shrimp, the proteins denature (break down) and allow the pigment to be visible; they turn pink. So when fish eat shrimp, they are ingesting a diet rich in astaxanthin, and it builds up in their flesh, giving it a pink or orange colour.

Burt :)

The red or pink flesh comes from a diet rich in the pigment astaxanthin.

Shrimp contain very high concentrations of astaxanthin. When they are raw, you generally cannot see it. It is covered by proteins which make the shells look dark. When you cook the shrimp, the proteins denature (break down) and allow the pigment to be visible; they turn pink. So when fish eat shrimp, they are ingesting a diet rich in astaxanthin, and it builds up in their flesh, giving it a pink or orange colour.

So why is the astaxanthin not invisible in the fish flesh until cooked???... eeeeeewwww dude!!!.. I just realized that you're making up excuses for eating rotting salmonoid flesh too!!! *RETCH*

So why is the astaxanthin not invisible in the fish flesh until cooked???... eeeeeewwww dude!!!.. I just realized that you're making up excuses for eating rotting salmonoid flesh too!!! *RETCH*

Where do you think all that "imitation crab" meat comes from anyway??? Yummy.... :lol:

Ok I'll do the research---Burt wins a years supply of Bronte salmon fillets on this one---always good when those unexpected relatives show up just before dinner,

taken from a nature website.

. It is Astaxanthine that give Flamingos their pink color. When shrimps eat algae the astaxanthine contained in them is incorporated into their chitin shell. When the Flamingos eat the shrimps the flamingos then incorporate the pigment into their feathers. Incidentally this is also why the meat or muscle of an adult wild salmon is pink. Farmed salmon raised on meal lacking the pigment have white appearing muscle. This is also why when you cook shrimp or lobster or crab they turn bright pink to red in color. Shrimps and lobsters don't look pink at first due to proteins in the shell obscuring the pigment. When the protein is denatured (cooked) it reveals the wonderful color. This is also true of the leaves of fall. When the green chlorophylls in the leaves are destroyed the reds and oranges and yellows of fall are revealed in their splendor!

OK Mr. Dawg we all know your tryin yur very best....keep up the fine effort :rolleyes:

Bushart

Ok I'll do the research---Burt wins a years supply of Bronte salmon fillets on this one---always good when those unexpected relatives show up just before dinner,

taken from a nature website.

. It is Astaxanthine that give Flamingos their pink color. When shrimps eat algae the astaxanthine contained in them is incorporated into their chitin shell. When the Flamingos eat the shrimps the flamingos then incorporate the pigment into their feathers. Incidentally this is also why the meat or muscle of an adult wild salmon is pink. Farmed salmon raised on meal lacking the pigment have white appearing muscle. This is also why when you cook shrimp or lobster or crab they turn bright pink to red in color. Shrimps and lobsters don't look pink at first due to proteins in the shell obscuring the pigment. When the protein is denatured (cooked) it reveals the wonderful color. This is also true of the leaves of fall. When the green chlorophylls in the leaves are destroyed the reds and oranges and yellows of fall are revealed in their splendor!

OK Mr. Dawg we all know your tryin yur very best....keep up the fine effort :rolleyes:

Bushart

You Pink Flamingos theory sounds just Devine Bushy! :rolleyes:

So what color is the flesh of the Salmon that the deep water Blue Zone boys catch in the summer?... are these not the same Salmon coming into the creeks now?

Does anyone have a pic of a Blue Zone Salmon fillet or steak they'd like to post?

Sorry Dog I dont have any pictures , but I have run a charter boat on lake Ontario since 1980 and I clean the custermers catch at the end of the trip , so I have filleted 1,000s of deep water fresh not spawning fish and ALL OF THEM, lakers, kings ,cohos, alantics ,pinks,browns and steel head have white flesh .

Edited by capt bruce