White Salmon meat

Trevor0179

Does anyone know why the salmon from bronte has white meat instead of pinky red?

Lol,..this is gonna get funny,...Its becasue they are dying!!! It is red/pink in the lake but as soon as they hit the tribs they start to decay. Simliar to Chrome Skin in the lake and Copper to black in the river. DONT EAT IT!!!

Many of the fresh chrome specimens straight from the lake also have white meat. The colour of the meat is entirely due to diet.

Now pretty much every chinny in Bronte this late in the season will be decaying.

Mmmmm....white meat from Bronte. I think I just barfed a little inside my mouth. :lol:

Many of the fresh chrome specimens straight from the lake also have white meat. The colour of the meat is entirely due to diet.

Now pretty much every chinny in Bronte this late in the season will be decaying.

Mmmmm....white meat from Bronte. I think I just barfed a little inside my mouth. :lol:

It helps if you don’t think of them as rotting. Think of them as ‘aging’…Like a fine wine or a premium cut of steak they only get better with time.

Once they’re in the rivers, and they’re ‘angus black’, the meat just falls off the bone…No fillet knife required :thumbsup_anim:

Mmmm…Finger lickin’ good

The other 200 anglers I met at the Credit last week can't all be wrong :D

I've always been told that their diet of alewife out in Lake Ontario was the reason for their lighter coloured flesh.

What he said.

Red in the meat comes from a more protein rich diet, alewife & smelt being oily forage (heh did you know you can light a dried smelt like a candle?) gives fish a white flesh that is not exactly the most palatable.

The red farmed fillets you see at your local grocer comes from food dye in the pellet food.

What he said.

Red in the meat comes from a more protein rich diet, alewife & smelt being oily forage (heh did you know you can light a dried smelt like a candle?) gives fish a white flesh that is not exactly the most palatable.

The red farmed fillets you see at your local grocer comes from food dye in the pellet food.

Just remind yourself of that when your grandchildren come out with 4 eyes and tentacles instead of limbs!!! :blink::rolleyes:<_<:unsure::angry::jerry::oops:

Edited by GCD

I always find that Coho have a redder flesh than Chinook, would the diet be that much different or is there some variation between species? I'm talking fish from out in the lake , well prespawn or staging fish ?

I never noticed Ho's being that much different than Kings unless they were real small.

Bows & Browns definitely go for shiners more than alewife so aren't near as greasy, maybe Ho's do the same now.

Hell I'd eat a bullhead before I braved a Lake O King...mmmmm spewing Mudshark!

Mudshark.jpg

I never noticed Ho's being that much different than Kings unless they were real small.

Bows & Browns definitely go for shiners more than alewife so aren't near as greasy, maybe Ho's do the same now.

Hell I'd eat a bullhead before I braved a Lake O King...mmmmm spewing Mudshark!

Mudshark.jpg

The Bullheads are far more fitting than you deserve!!!!... and that should be more than you're entitled to!!! :rolleyes:

Edited by GCD

Diet is what I've been told and will believe. As above mentioned by MJL and Solo. I've caught Chinnies from Lake O with white (more grey) [Eewww] and red fleshed coho from G bay tribs. Definitely tastes different.

The salmon I see in the local grocer are usually Atlantic salmon or "steelhead" salmon (what's with that? don't they know the difference? They really are rainbow trout.)

Genetics, for the most part. The original strain of Salmon used in Lake Ontario was based on the Tule Fall Chinook, which is west coast race that runs the rivers in the fall, spawns and dies quickly. They have grey/white meat.

There are also strains in Lake Ontario Chinooks that have pinker meat. Cross breeding over the last 30 years probably has produced characteristics from either race, so some Chinooks have white meat and some have pink meat. Diet also plays an important part for coloring the meat in the non-Tule strains, so more invertebrates or sticklebacks with lots of keratin in them will improve the color of the meat.

Also, the longer they are in the river the lighter the meat seems to get.