Jigging rod/reel

scugpg

I'm on the lookout for a jigging rod guys - 1st choice was a St. Croix Legend tournament or Avid 6'3 rod...having trouble finding local stock though.

Reel - looking at a stradic 1000.

2nd choice would be to look at Shimano or Quantum rods...Want something really sensitive...plan on jigging primarily 10-30ft of water with 1/4 to 3/4oz jigs. What do you guys like to use?

Why not go with something like a Loomis walleye series rod, maybe a WCBR783S, pair it up with a Stradic FI or MgFB (discontinued but they're still around, would be my choice) in a 1000 size. Remember, you don't need anything bigger than a 1000 for vertical jigging.

Why not go with something like a Loomis walleye series rod, maybe a WCBR783S, pair it up with a Stradic FI or MgFB (discontinued but they're still around, would be my choice) in a 1000 size. Remember, you don't need anything bigger than a 1000 for vertical jigging.

Never been near Loomis rods so never crossed my mind...I'll check those out as well if my local retailer has them

Guest steel'n'esox

For snap jigging walleyes a 6ft med/hvy rod with a quality spinning reel with 20lb braid, for finese jigging I use a shimano stella with a 6ft3in crucial or the stella with a 6ft6in crucial with 10 lb braid. Other less expensive Shimanos or other manufacturers rods and reels are just as effective, the warranty centre is relatively close to where I live hence the Shimanos

I saw a really sweet 6'6 medium Fenwick this summer. I fell in love with that rod. It just felt perfect in my hand

I would go with St Croix before Loomis myself. I got my first Loomis this spring and I like a St Croix better.

personal preferences though. I would go with a 2000 size reel though.

definitely, those rods are awesome

If you're looking for St Croix, check JBs Fishing Depot by Pearson Airport. They probably should have the rod you want in stock. As for reel, a Stradic in 2000 or 2500 should be awesome for your setup. The Loomis Walleye Series rod is really nice but a bit pricey. I find that the really small reels (1000) size are too small and don't balance nicely on the rod. I used to have a BPS Walleye rod in 6ft Med with a Quantum Tour 20 reel. Awesome setup that caught quite a few fish but it is now on the bottom of Georgian Bay after the kids knocked it into the water on me. I still want to cry when I go by the spot where it went in.

I own a compre, clarus, and fenwick and IMHO I like my Fenwick Canadian Methods the most. This rod cost me 60$ at bass pro and it is WAY more sensitive than my compre. Originally I bought it as a "half decent" rod that the wife can fish with, but now I'm finding i'm reaching for that rod when she does not come along. Check them out, they are dark red in colour :Gonefishing:. Only down side is they only come with a 5 year warranty.

Edited by Fish4Eyes

Interesting. I would reccomend the Compre as a better value than both the St Croix and the Loomis: great blanks at a great price. At those weights I would go with a Med power 6'6" or 7' , fast action. I would go bigger than a 1000 as well. A 2500 will take up line much quicker on those fish that head up or toward you after they hit.

The higher end Quantum rods are nice, Tour Edition PT. In all honesty, you can't go wrong with any of the top shelf rods/reels. I believe that if you buy good equipment, you'll only buy it once, cheap stuff will end up being replaced pretty quick.

The higher end Quantum rods are nice, Tour Edition PT. In all honesty, you can't go wrong with any of the top shelf rods/reels. I believe that if you buy good equipment, you'll only buy it once, cheap stuff will end up being replaced pretty quick.

I have a TE-PT b/c rod and it's been great, so would definitely consider a spinning rod (already have an energy PT). So the tours are comparable to the other brands high end?

I hear you on the cheap stuff....I've been through 4 rods already since this little hobby started a year ago :D

The highest end Quantum rod would barely come close to competing with a St. Croix or Loomis, even at their low ends.

How so? I'm open to believing this but could you elaborate on that? What about Shimano?

Edited by scugog