Shopping in Michigan

Abraxus

I gotta tell ya, I went down to Michigan on the weekend past to pick up a Fishtrap that I found on Craigslist for a sweet song.

While down there, we went to Auburn Hills for some shopping. My girlfriend and I will often go to Auburn Hills in Michigan to shop as opposed to Buffalo. Believe me when I tell you it is well worth the effort and miles. This is not a rant about how much you can save by going there because that has been done. What I am going to say is simply this, you will never find more polite, mannerly people any where then you will in Michigan. We dont get customer service like that up here in Canada! You know...the country with the reputation of having friendly people! No comparrison!

You name it! From the food court and retail staff at the stores, to the gas station attendents. The guy I bought the Fish Trap from that waited an extra two hours for us becuase we got delayed, to the border gaurd that let us cross with out paying the extra duty on the FishTrap and clothing we bought! Every single person you meet down there are nice, friendly and polite!

Buffalo sucks! Grouchy border guards, pissy retail staff, and the deals are not that spectactular to begin with! Take my word for it, if you are considering taking advantage of our dollar being at almost par, and you planning a trip to the U.S. Go to Michigan! These people understand customer service and appreciate your business!

Just good old fashioned polite manners! It is such a rarity to experience this behaviour now adays, that when you do encounter it, it catches you completely by surprise and you know right away that this is how it always should be!

Nuff said on that.

Well at least your story still provides some hope for us because those boarder guards that let you cross without paying duty are Canadian!

But yes I lived in Detroit and I agree the shopping is great, especially price-wise.

Totally agree. I really enjoyed myself down in Michigan when I went over with my family. Been to Auburn hills and the Birchrun outlet twice and been to the Cabelas on one of the trips. The fast-food restaurants (heck any restaurant) down there are insane!

I don't like going over to Buffalo...On the bright side, when my family wants to go over to Buffalo, they drop me off at the Niagara river for the day before they cross the border :Gonefishing:

My wife and I just got back from a 10 day trip to the States and our experiences there were typical --- very friendly people and great service.

Not to be matched by some of the snits you find at Canadian Tire and other such places, especially at the cash registers.