kawartha and upper niagara report

Rizzo

Thanks Roy for helping get my photo gallery figured out. Got out last Friday to the Kawarthas in rainy conditions. On the water by 8 am and fished until 3. No luck casting so tried trolling, this skinny little guy hit a chartreuse believer in about 15 feet of water. Water temps were at 53 degrees. This fish was the only action we had for the day.

gallery_130_97_53383.jpg

Then managed to sneak out Thanksgiving day for a few hours in the morning on the upper niagara. Was a little nervous about water clarity because its been so windy. Pretty pleased to see visibility of around 3.5 feet. Water temps were 57 degrees. Launched at Netherby where there was a big dead trout in my way. After avoiding the stinky carcass, motored up to Frenchman's creek and started working my way back to the launch. This fish also hit the chartreuse believer, which is quite surprising considering I almost never use it...although that is going to change! Fished about 4 hours, then had to pack it in to load up on turkey.

med_gallery_130_97_47910.jpg

Hard to avoid the obvious pun, but I've never been a believer in the believer. Have dragged it around the niagara every fall in a perch finish banging bottom without success. With the stained water I took out my gaudiest looking bait (the chartreuse believer) and let it go for a swim. Surprise surprise 2 fish in two days on it.

Muskies caught while trolling count for little or nothing eh

hahaha...I kind of agree with you though. I do very little trolling, only when I'm too cold to do anything else! Nothing better than casting and hooking into a musky on a short leash. I will admit that these were two of my lesser favorite muskies caught. The Kawartha fish made one jump within seconds of being hooked and then rolled in the line...it got all tangled up and couldn't fight. On the positive side it wasn't tired at all and took off like a shot on the release! The niagara fish too took off great too. It also made one jump, then basically swam right to the boat and into the net! I told my partner to watch out with the net as I expected it was just playing possum and would suddenly wake up, but never did. Kind of a strange thing to watch this fat little fish swim right to you and into the net! Guess he's done it before :D

Big difference between the two. Those great lakes fish have some real nice spots...maybe a "leopard musky"! The niagara musky was also about 6 inches shorter than the kawartha fish I'd say, but probably weighed 5 pounds more. Guess that's what you get from dining on suckers/trout rather than perch and pickerel