4 person Ice Shelter/Hut

GBW

Hey all.

With the thoughts of ice fishing coming sooner rather then later I have been thinking I might buy a hut this year. I want to make sure it's portable and EASY to put up and take down as I plan on bringing my 6-year old daughter out and if it's a nice day, maybe my son (who will be 3 by time the ice season starts). So getting it set up and down quick is a must. Also, I need to make sure that there is room for 3 adults on the days I don't go out with the kids. I have access to a wood hut at my wife's uncle's place on Scugog but I don't want to impose all season long even though they are fine with it as they set it out on the lake for me last year...

Also, this year I need to watch what I spend as it's been a BRUTAL year. Is there an all-season tent out there for under $200.00 that I could use and cut holes in the floor as an option to save a bit? I have my heater so as long as it does a good job blocking the wind it should do the trick, right?

What are the key things to look for other then size (2, 4 or 6 person huts/tents)?

Thanks all in advance.

Geoff

Last year I was looking for the same thing, something for 2-4 people that would fit into my compact sedan and I could carry on foot out onto a Lake as far as I needed to go without compromise.

It sounds like you're in the same "boat" so this is what I concluded from my search last season:

For up to 4 people and I can transport manually and affordable:

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/5/Sp...e%2BShelter.jsp

http://www.clamcorp.com/Shelters/PopUpCabi...89/Default.aspx

My ice fishing partner bought this and it works quite well. It folds into a backpack and its light. There is also a larger 6 man versions. At first I thought it would not work well in the wind, but with the anchors down, it was very sturdy. It sets up quickly, but on a real windy day you might want some help, but then again with most huts high winds will always be more difficult. The main drawback IMO was the lack of a floor. Not a big deal but it is colder and things get more wet after hours with the heater on. You can always retrofit something easily. Almost all brands offer this type of hut including Frabill and Eskimo.

I ended up getting the Frabill Outback: http://www.frabill.com/store/index.php/cat...67/category/12/

It sets up fast, affordable and comfy for two adults. You can do three adults but not recommended cause it'll get tight. You and two kids could work however. There are also larger versions of this style hut from Shappell.

The flip-overs are very nice, but much more expensive and heavy. So you'll need a vehicle cover lots of ground and ample trunk space to get it to your destination.

For under $200 keep your eyes peeled for used ones, build your own or wait for the yearly 50% off sale at Canadian Tire.

I also contemplated using an old pop-up tent but decided it wasn't worth destroying. Most cheaper tents won't anchor well and are designed for you to lay down. Ice huts allow for a lot of vertical mobility. And a good quality tent is going to likely cost you what a similar ice hut will cost and it still needs to be renovated.

Edited by Jet

Thanks Jet! Yes, I am in that very "same boat" you were in last year...

The one that has really got my attention is the 4-man HT InstaShak (http://lebaron.ca/pdf_files_fall09/ice%20fishing/ht_shelters.pdf) and with my club card I save 10%.

I know, I'm a "I want it now" kind of person so I would be really mad at myself if the Sub Zero Tundra Tuff 4-man Ice Shelter were to be half price near the end of the season...

Does WalMart sell anything?

In the States yes, so with our dollar it might be a good idea! But I've yet to see huts in Canadian Walmarts personally.

It's guaranteed the Sub-Zero one will be half-price sometime in February (if I remember correctly) because I splurge every year. So you'll have to wait till the season is practically over. However, finding a store that has that hut in stock is a whole other ball game and unless you're lucky the hassle might not be worth it...and that's if you can even find one. My friend however was lucky enough to get it during the sale so it can happen!

I have a 2 man (3 would be a squeeze) clam 2000 that I will not need this winter. It is in good shape. Pops up in seconds, comes with an auger with new blades in an un opened package. I would be willing to let it go for $125.00

If anyone is interested, just pm me.

Ab

I have a 2 man (3 would be a squeeze) clam 2000 that I will not need this winter. It is in good shape. Pops up in seconds, comes with an auger with new blades in an un opened package. I would be willing to let it go for $125.00

Ab

Where are you? I'm interested.

I am in Markham.

I have to go get it out of storage at my friends, dads garage. I am leaving on Friday for boys fishing trip and I wont be back until Sunday. Next week would probably be the best time to hook up if you want it.

Ab

As per our PM chat, consider it sold. Thanks!

Jet, thanks for the help but this deal was right up my alley for the price and it's going to fit me and my daughter just fine... Cheers.

Geoff

Ab

That's a great price, good on you for helping another fisherman out.

Anyone else have anything to help Ryan out?

Thanks! It's all good dude - I wouldn't have passed up that deal either! Good job Abraxus.

Last year Averie had a bit of a tough time in the cold, but we only really got out a half dozen times so I'm just looking for something used, and relatively easy to set up to keep the kid out of the wind. Also, she managed to step onto somebody else's old hole that was lightly snow covered and her whole leg went right through... scared the poop out of me!!! So it'll be nice to keep her within' the hut confinds while we're fishing...

Keep the post going! Sorry to highjack it GBW but I think you got what you needed out of it! haha

Thanks,

Ryan

Thanks! It's all good dude - I wouldn't have passed up that deal either! Good job Abraxus.

Last year Averie had a bit of a tough time in the cold, but we only really got out a half dozen times so I'm just looking for something used, and relatively easy to set up to keep the kid out of the wind. Also, she managed to step onto somebody else's old hole that was lightly snow covered and her whole leg went right through... scared the poop out of me!!! So it'll be nice to keep her within' the hut confinds while we're fishing...

Keep the post going! Sorry to highjack it GBW but I think you got what you needed out of it! haha

Thanks,

Ryan

No problem and consider it a take over and not a highjacking :thumbsup_anim::D That's why I posted asking if anyone else had/has anything to help your out with you hunt. B)

Edited by GBW

I love happy endings :)

Yes you got a great deal there GBW. I got the same style hut its perfect for my foot powered adventures. Worst case if you bring three people, just use it as a warming house. That's what I do. Plus if its not too cold I prefer to be outside anyway.

I love happy endings :)

Yes you got a great deal there GBW. I got the same style hut its perfect for my foot powered adventures. Worst case if you bring three people, just use it as a warming house. That's what I do. Plus if its not too cold I prefer to be outside anyway.

Me too! :D

Thanks, I'm sure I did. Good to know too about using it as a warmer on the days where there are a few of us out there. I know my daughter is going to love it or hate it, no in-between with her...

Now all we need is to get Ryan hooked up with a good deal too...

Sorry to bump this up to the top but I have to say TKS Ab!!

It was nice to meet you and thanks for a great deal. if you ever find those missing blades and can't use them with what you have drop me a line.

PS, it's set up in the garage so when my wife goes to take the kids to school tomorrow they will see it and freak out... HAHAHA :thumbsup_anim:

Not yet, I just got it late last night, LOL.

What do you want to see and I'll take the pic's.

Pics of the outside and inside.. I just like seeing pics of this kind of thing lol. I got the 4 man icecube last year on sale at Canadian Tire, my first hut and I love it.

Pics of the outside and inside.. I just like seeing pics of this kind of thing lol. I got the 4 man icecube last year on sale at Canadian Tire, my first hut and I love it.

I will set it up again over the weekend so I can get some good pic's in the light for you then. ;)

Now, another Q for everyone. Seeing the other post about runners... If you have an old set of downhill skis that are in decent shape but will never be used for skiing again...would you mount them on the base of this hut? The clam 2000... I will be walking most of the time but the odd time I will have a atv or snowmobile, thanks.

Edited by GBW