Fish sanctuaries during spawning season

scugpg

Hi all,

I was thinking the other day of a few places around the area that are considered fish sanctuaries during parts of the year, and was surprised that a few other high pressure spots (that are also good spawning areas I would think) that aren't. What determines these areas?

I know on the credit the reason for the sancuary between Brittania and the 403 is for tresspassing reasons (ie. Croatia park and Kraft properties). This use to be the case as well with the lower section of river between Dundas and the Qew (ie. The Credit Valley G&C club and The Mississauga G&C club).

Rich.

I don't know if all sanctuaries are selected in the same manner but on Opinicon Lake the sanctuaries were arbitrarily picked. From what I understood, they simply picked areas that have good spawning bays without doing any scientific testing to determine its effectiveness. I'm not saying some sanctuaries do nothing, it's just not picked based on efficiency.

I always thought they were based on structure of the river bed..( proven spawning grounds) ...which isnt always correct given different variables from year to year...instead of shutting down a mile of river in any given area with several pools in it ...they should shut down ALL of the river during the spawning season except for anything over 4 feet deep regardless of where it is ...this would eliminate the rippers on the beds throughout any river system

For the most part the main reason is that I think it just simplifies enforcement. People targeting out of season fish while maintaining they are fishing something else. You got the same thing while hunting, can't use anything bigger than #2 shot or a .22 rimfire while hunting during big game season without a valid big game license. For some reason , certain people have a " loophole mentality " . Not all sanctuaries fall in this category, some are actually management tools, but a lot just give the CO the power to charge before or without actually witnessing an offence.