Superior Steel - Tribs Report

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

On Thanksgiving Monday, I went on a fishing/scouting trips of the tribs between Wawa and Sault Ste. Marie. After a stop at tim horton's (with a healthy splash of Bailey's) we were on our way up the highway by quarter past five. About 7:30 we arrived at the michipicoten. We fished the morning with very limited success. We caught a few small resident bows on roe. A few other folks were fishing the river that morning reported seeing a few straggler salmon but not much in the way of fall steel. After a quick stop for lunch in Wawa we made our way back towards Sault Ste. Marie. We stopped at a few tribs on the way through Lake Superior Park and found more of the same. Each of the rivers was still full of coho salmon. After not getting any steel on the float rod all morning, i took out the spinning gear to take a few casts...A few minutes later I got into a coho. By this point the wind coming off superior had coupled with some rain, making fishing most uncomfortable. Given the fact the rivers were low and that we didn't see any steelies, we decided to return to town for a nap. Hopefully by next weekend the steel shall arrive in full force!

coho1.jpg

coho2.jpg

Edited by Dr. Salvelinus

Guest ThisPlaceSucks
Be a few weeks yet. Did you check the water temps? Even with low flow there seems to be a magic number for the hwy plaque...

By the looks of things Grandma K. didnt get dinner?

granny isn't too big on salmon or coho! she prefers the fine flavour of the salvelinus clan.

tribs last week were hovering around 15c in the day around the sault, so i assume the ones further up the highway would be at least comparable if not lower. the 'ho the other day hadn't dropped her eggs yet so i look forward to that getting going!

Must have been a nice drive up H17 on monday Dr S.... Nice colours on the coho....

I went up the highway around noon till 2 today to check the chip out....Water was low but fishable as Im sure you seen....

I was looking for a coho but hit this steelie instead....Not complaining especially since this fish will be smoked! mmmmm.....

008-Copy.jpg

Been to Speckled Trout?

TDunn

Edited by TDunn

Guest ThisPlaceSucks
Must have been a nice drive up H17 on monday Dr S.... Nice colours on the coho....

I went up the highway around noon till 2 today to check the chip out....Water was low but fishable as Im sure you seen....

I was looking for a coho but hit this steelie instead....Not complaining especially since this fish will be smoked! mmmmm.....

008-Copy.jpg

Been to Speckled Trout?

TDunn

nice fish!! looks like it's on! chip and goulais always seem to get fish weeks earlier than the other tribs!

guess i'll have to check'r out! watch for me up there!

didn't stop at speckled trout. there was 2 cars there already although my bud was saying it's still full of 'hos in the riffles.

Who says you have to catch big fish to have fun?!!!

I'm sure it was you that coined that phrase...I know you sure live it :blahblah1:

Nice going guys...whats the Goulais like around where it crosses 17...I have some riverfront property there and never fished it yet

Nice Going Guys, does it seem late for the Chromage up there this year? With the exception of last year, this is the latest in quite a few that I recall, down here atleast. Damn its cold enough now,..one more good rain ;)

P.S, Diggity Dawg, Big Fish are more Fun ;)

Edited by StoneFly

Do those Cats have much fight in them? I havent ever caught any big ones, but anytime I was too lazy to get out and do some real fishing I would go to the closest swampy water body (holland Marsh for example) and do some armchair fishing, caught many smaller cats, but their fight sucks,....the sting on the other hand,..ouch. lol...oops, just realized that a Coho/Steelhead report has turned into a Catfish story,..LOL Sorry Doc. Nice Fish

Edited by StoneFly

Guest Johnny Bass

Looks like a nice clean fish caught in crystal clear water. You didn't eat it? I would have smoked that baby! I too always stop at Tim Hortons on the way to fishing and on the way back. I will pass countless coffee shops until I find a timmies. Thanks for sharing.

To keep it short I'll just say that these are river fish that fight current most of their life, and if you have crappy tackle they'll take it away from you! ;)

But Doesnt most of the water they live in have next to no current? How do they compare lb for lb to salmon or Steelhead?

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

hit the chip tonight. first fish on reminded me that i hadn't fought a fish on the 'pin since june and made a fool of me. landed the second fish though and it was a real beaut. nice 5 lb chromer... a gent down the shore caught one that from a distance looked like it must be 10 lbs.

near the end of the night a guy using a large spinner fished a tailout downstream of me and caught 4 fish in about 10 minutes...

not the best evening i've had but man was it good to get a fish on the float rod.

But Doesnt most of the water they live in have next to no current? How do they compare lb for lb to salmon or Steelhead?

These fish are predators, one of the best baits for them is a live 6-8" Bluegill (legal here) they're found on main river channels and river channel/creek channel junctions... I'm pretty sure they would sodomize a Salmon, and do even worse things to one of those overweight Rainbow Troot!!!

I doubt seriously that you would be able to land one on one of your clothesline pulley/buggy whip combos!!! :rolleyes:

These fish are predators, one of the best baits for them is a live 6-8" Bluegill (legal here) they're found on main river channels and river channel/creek channel junctions... I'm pretty sure they would sodomize a Salmon, and do even worse things to one of those overweight Rainbow Troot!!!

I doubt seriously that you would be able to land one on one of your clothesline pulley/buggy whip combos!!! :rolleyes:

LMAO, so lb for lb you are saying those eeewy geewy catfish are stronger than salmon or Steelhead?