What do you hunters do with feathers and hides?

wuchikubo

Toss, mount or Re-use?  

7 members have voted

1. 1. Do you Toss, mount or Re-use?

• Toss in the trash/compost.
    • Use in mounting.
    • Re-use in fly tying or other art.

Hello to all you hunters,

Instead of hijacking Buster's thread about my question.

I was wondering what you normally do with the feathers off the birds you have taken? Does it just go into the trash/compost or do you try to use them (fly tying or mounting replicas)?

Same question would apply to deer and moose hunters.

For those that are just tossing them, are any of the feathers or hair salvageable for fly tying? If so I'd be interested in taking some off your hands (and out of the trash route).

Decided to make it a poll.

Thanks,

Stan

Edited by HearingFish

i used to tan my own hides in a barrel with turpintine and methyle hydrate ( wood alcohol) then dye patches various colours for tying flies...

IT took quite a bit of experimenting to get the dye to take to the fiber but i did manage to do it ...at alot duller spectrum then i wanted...so i gave up on it ....then i would send my hides to Blyth to be tanned for me and my signifigant other at the time ...would use the leather for a canvass of her cross stitching crafts....

The hide I take to the wolfs den, for hats for hides program.

Thats what I do too. I have a hat for every deer I have shot. Took a black marker and wrote inside what deer the hat represents. BUT lastyear the peckerheads ran out of hats so all I got was the badge. I had to go and buy an orange hat to sew it on :angry: