Hunting Simcoe Forests

NAW

For all those who hunt in Simcoe Forests.

Did you know that effective this year, you have to be an OFAH member to legally hunt in a Simcoe Forest.

I'm not sure if there’s been a post on this before. Sorry if there has...

I don't think I should have to buy an OFAH membership to be able hunt on county land :angry:

What do you guys think??

Does anyone know who enforces this law, and what the penalties are??

oh yeah, it's true

New recreational policy calls for O.F.A.H. membership when hunting in Simcoe County Forest The County of Simcoe considers hunting to be a heritage activity within it's County forests and to help ensure it continues along with all other recreational uses, County Council has introduced a new recreational use policy. Among other conditions, the policy calls for anyone hunting in Simcoe County Forests to be a member of the Ontario Federation of Anglers and Hunters. Simcoe County and its nearly 31,000 acres of forest properties welcomes outdoor enthusiasts of all kinds. With 150 forest tracks stretching across 16 municipalities, Simcoe County Forests provide significant outdoor getaways north of Toronto. Since 1922 .

yeah paying for a membership is going to make hunting simcoe county safer.......can you say money grab

IF this is true---it's a crock

More evidence of a Toronto mentality--give asomeone a bit of authority and watch em use it.

There goes the whole "True North Strong and Free" thing---nowadays its what affiliation you may have.

I guess this reason will keep me away from Simcoe county----Big Brother can't even leave you alone in the bush.

Bushart

What gets me is that if you want to bike in the forest, you don't have to be a paying member of a biking club. Or if you want to walk in the forest, you don't have to be a paying member of a walking club. Why single out the hunters.

There are rivers, and laks on some Simcoe forests. You don't have to me a member of OFAH to fish in on Simcoe land though.

What the hell eh,

Just tell them you are not hunting...the gun is for personal protection. The hunting license is to keep the game warden from hassling you.

But really...how can they say you have to join a private organization to use public land. Possibly because of the insurance that comes with a membership? Maybe thats the next thing....gun insurance.

Next thing you know, you will have to have a permit to walk in a park in toronto...oh wait, that was on last nights news wasn't it.

I've got zero against the OFAH but if I'm them---I'm keepin this one at arms length.

Cause there may be a huge number of experienced successful careful hunters out there that may not like being Forced into an organization as the way of measuring up.

We already have the bar set to hunt legally in Ontario.

This is just going to make for hard feelings.

Bushart

I called OFAH to see what they had to say about the matter. I ended up talking to a Biologist. That really didn't do my any good; he could only tell me what he "thought".

From what he said, it has to do with the insurance, as mentioned earlier in this thread.

He also mentioned that most hunters who have the mindset to sign up for an OFAH membership are usually up on their hunter etiquette and safety, which makes it less of a liability to have guys/gals like that in the woods.

He also briefly talked about the fact that a hunter killed a person while deer hunting within the last few years, and that caused the county to change some policies regarding hunters on county land.

Still seems like OFAH and Simcoe are looking for a cash grab.. I'll be sticking to my private land from now on.

"Other than deer, what can be hunted in those forests? Grouse? Turkey? Rabbit?" All of those. Some of the forests have swamps, lakes and rivers. There's over 30,000 acres of county land, lost of mixed opportunities for hunting. Hardwoods, Softwoods, fields, Abandoned towns.. Lots of cool placed to hunt.

What gets me is that if you want to bike in the forest, you don't have to be a paying member of a biking club. Or if you want to walk in the forest, you don't have to be a paying member of a walking club. Why single out the hunters.

Maybe you do have to pay to take a walk in the park, this is getting insane

http://www.torontosun.com/news/torontoandg...375496-sun.html

Idiots wont stop taking sound shots just because they are a member of the OFAH. I have even hunted with guys that say if you hear a sound your safety should be off and gun pointed in that direction so that your ready INCASE its a deer. Screw that !!!!! I never take my safety off untill right before I pull the trigger.

Just another great money grab !

Idiots wont stop taking sound shots just because they are a member of the OFAH. I have even hunted with guys that say if you hear a sound your safety should be off and gun pointed in that direction so that your ready INCASE its a deer. Screw that !!!!! I never take my safety off untill right before I pull the trigger.

Just another great money grab !

Thats it right there in a nut shell.

I hear ya Richy on the sound thing.

See your game, then flip the saftey and pull the trigger. :clapping::clapping:

Maybe you do have to pay to take a walk in the park, this is getting insane

Heh nah they can't the risk of bad press making them look silly, but they still want to mug you for cash.

They've already done it for my favourite Kawarthas lake to camp on for a weekend, the Ganaraska Trail uses the portage to the lake. They can't make you buy a permit to use "their" trail, but you need a $20 permit & reservation to park your car. Beside the road.