Erindale Park Report

mbosh1980

well said dan only thing that gets me is the way these people do to the females cut,egg, on the ground than people walk by see this and they hate fisherman i heard people walking by and cursing fisherman cause the dead females. it's a conversation that can go both ways as we can see in this thread but as in hunting you make your catch presentable so why don't salmon get the same respect at least hide them in the bush

so how long do the salmon spawn for i seen them at the humber 2 weeks ago so iam guessing they spawn for 3 weeks than the males die do the females to?? or they go back to the lake?

Edited by E30Nigel

well said dan only thing that gets me is the way these people do to the females cut,egg, on the ground than people walk by see this and they hate fisherman i heard people walking by and cursing fisherman cause the dead females. it's a conversation that can go both ways as we can see in this thread but as in hunting you make your catch presentable so why don't salmon get the same respect at least hide them in the bush

so how long do the salmon spawn for i seen them at the humber 2 weeks ago so iam guessing they spawn for 3 weeks than the males die do the females to?? or they go back to the lake?

They all die, a few more weeks the dead will be gone and you will never know a salmon run was even in the tributary.

Wow. All this rage over in introduced species that is heavily dependent on stocking. We have Chinooks flooding our rivers in the fall up here too. Fortunately it's not an elbow to elbow snagfest up here. What really bothers me is when I see Salmon crowding out Brook Trout for spawning beds. Brook Trout need very specific areas to spawn upon. Chinnys don't. Several times I've witnessed stocked Chinooks crowding out resident Coaster Brook Trout on a 3 foot square spawning area that the Brookies demand. It's a sickening sight actually. To me anyways. Apparently this is what our fishery has become. Screw the endangered trophy coaster Brook Trout. Because the Pacific Salmon grow bigger and fight harder. And if you've got a $40,000.00 boat, you can go catch them all summer long. Most of us don't own a $40,000.00 boat, hence the snagfest in southern Ontario. Man kinds wisdom has screwed this planet beyond belief. Thankfully I'll live out my life and be content catching natural fish that have been here for tens of thousands of years. I'll be content with that. The rest of you can argue about abusing fish that should have never been here in the first place. Anyone want to buy some scented marshmallows???

This is Lake Ontario not northern Superior, Chinooks provide a fishery in Southern Ontario, without Pacific Salmon or introduced Rainbows and Browns the lake would not have much of a fishery at all.

• 2 months later...
Correct, Chinooks are electrofished. We do kill thhem however as most of them are too big to handle alive, plus it's inhumane to extract eggs from live fish in the manner that we do.

They are not cut open, instead eggs are extracted with air pressure and sperm extracted by squeezing the males near the vent.

Most carcasses are put back into the river although some do go to University of Guelph for virology testing and some to the DFO for toxicology and other tests. All of this happens at the Streetsville dam, I doubt any make it back down to Erindale.

Actually Glenn as I recall we did cut open a lot of chinooks in the two chinook collecting seasons (07-08) I was present for. Sometimes we were worried about being short on eggs or the skein wasn't loose enough to release the eggs. I also remember walking down around that big bend and finding all the rotting carcasses. I can't see your practices changing any.

Maybe it was the Coho carcasses that were found. They are cut open as a method to extract eggs.

Also Glenn, I do not recall all the fish we processed to be dead while processing. I also recall fish being killed, being left in the sun and being wasted because they had been dead too long. A picture or video is worth a thousand words my friend.

Guest steel'n'esox
Back in the 70's and early 80's the Credit was awesome.

Then cam the crowds and the crap. :angry:

I pretty much stopped fishing the river by the end of the 80's early 90's.

I couldn't handle the Bull anymore. :(

In with drifter on that one, big river with lots of Salmon within target of millions of people spells disaster. It is a beautiful river on the plus side from the cadet dam north just wish it was somewhere else

In with drifter on that one, big river with lots of Salmon within target of millions of people spells disaster. It is a beautiful river on the plus side from the cadet dam north just wish it was somewhere else

Back in the 70's it was a snaggers dream dudes, the bait shops use to sell weighted trebles just for this purpose untill they were outlawed. The salmon run will always cause crap, it wasn't any better back then probably worse. Unfortunatly it is what it is and for some reason people love hooking into old dead boots on there last legs of life and others will get all upset with someone killing a useless 3/4 dead salmon.