Erindale Park Report

mbosh1980

When people I dont know that well ask me where to catch Salmon and Steelhead I always tell them Erindale park....lol, mainly becasue I dont fish there. I have been there a few times when I lived in the area and actually spent more time in the water unhooking other 'anglers' snagged salmon and releasing them than I did fishing.

Now some people may think this is asking for trouble,...but when you tell them they are breaking the law, there is usually no objection. I have done this literally dozens of times without ever having anyone argue with me, my thought is they ALL know what they are doing is wrong and after you have talked to them while they are fighting the stuggling fish and tell them what they are doing is illegal, not too mention a few points on the potential toxicity of the Lake O nooks, I think the point is usually driven home, so when you are releasing their fish for them, they have already been conditioned for it. Ive cut a few lines as well on other tribs, but thats a different story, lol.

Last weekend at a different Lake O trib, we actually saw a guy and his 2 kids walking down the river with Just nets, no rods at all. So My buddy starts yelling at them and telling them they are breaking the law and he just saw a CO and they will be charged,.....so the Adult starts speaking in another language and then the kids Chime in perfect english, we were just checking the depth,...lol meanwhile they had a fishfinder with them and a Hibatchi already lit,...LMAO.

I dont know if anyone remembers the Pine River about 20 years ago,....but I saw the Worst there!!! Wire Fencing strung accross sections of river with treble hooks all through it, I wasnt an angler then, but was just taking a walk with my GF and saw these guys carrying out garbage bags fool of chinnies. It was the first time I had seen big Fish like that in such tiny rivers and then I saw how they were being caught. Obviously this didnt make me want to pick up that sport anytime soon. I heard charges were laid a week later, wish it happened more down here ;)

When people I dont know that well ask me where to catch Salmon and Steelhead I always tell them Erindale park....lol, mainly becasue I dont fish there. I have been there a few times when I lived in the area and actually spent more time in the water unhooking other 'anglers' snagged salmon and releasing them than I did fishing.

I actually do the same thing ...Erin Park used to be one of my favourite spots and i have many great memories of fishing there ...just this last weekend ...a fellow OFNer was up here and i said he should try the park out ( but i did give him a specific location ) and he MIGHT only have to contend with a few fisherman....

Now some people may think this is asking for trouble,...but when you tell them they are breaking the law, there is usually no objection. I have done this literally dozens of times without ever having anyone argue with me, my thought is they ALL know what they are doing is wrong and after you have talked to them while they are fighting the stuggling fish and tell them what they are doing is illegal, not too mention a few points on the potential toxicity of the Lake O nooks, I think the point is usually driven home, so when you are releasing their fish for them, they have already been conditioned for it. Ive cut a few lines as well on other tribs, but thats a different story, lol.

I do the same thing...good on ya

I dont know if anyone remembers the Pine River about 20 years ago,....but I saw the Worst there!!! Wire Fencing strung accross sections of river with treble hooks all through it,

i remember it and seen the same scenario again on the nine mile river.....hence the reason i carry a leatherman ever since they came out...( same original one too) probably worth money now)..fortunately i havent had to use it in many years for the purpose of cutting wire...

Resent egg collection has gone on for ringwood hatchery, eggs and sperm are collected the fish are sliced and thrown back in the river, not all the carcasses may from unethical anglers, unfortuntatly if we want a Salmon fishery we must do egg collection. It will be all over soon boys and trouting will begin.

Resent egg collection has gone on for ringwood hatchery, eggs and sperm are collected the fish are sliced and thrown back in the river, not all the carcasses may from unethical anglers, unfortuntatly if we want a Salmon fishery we must do egg collection. It will be all over soon boys and trouting will begin.

I can't wait for one of the folks that helped out this year to respond to that...

http://www.ofncommunity.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=36722

I can't be the only one who sees that as being completely unlikely. :rolleyes:

Edited by I'mHooked

Im no expert on this, however, I believe they shock the waters so the fish get temporarily stunned, they find some loose females with nice looking genes and simply milk the eggs, then collect Milt from the males. Im pretty Sure all fish go back unharmed. Clofchik can probably chime in on this....

Correct, Chinooks are electrofished. We do kill thhem however as most of them are too big to handle alive, plus it's inhumane to extract eggs from live fish in the manner that we do.

They are not cut open, instead eggs are extracted with air pressure and sperm extracted by squeezing the males near the vent.

Most carcasses are put back into the river although some do go to University of Guelph for virology testing and some to the DFO for toxicology and other tests. All of this happens at the Streetsville dam, I doubt any make it back down to Erindale.

Edited by Glenn Anderson

Correct, Chinooks are electrofished. We do kill thhem however as most of them are too big to handle alive, plus it's inhumane to extract eggs from live fish in the manner that we do.

They are not cut open, instead eggs are extracted with air pressure and sperm extracted by squeezing the males near the vent.

Most carcasses are put back into the river although some do go to University of Guelph for virology testing and some to the DFO for toxicology and other tests. All of this happens at the Streetsville dam, I doubt any make it back down to Erindale.

Regards,

Glenn Anderson

MEA and Ringwood FCS

Curious, is it Illegal to lift a loose Chiney and collect the eggs in a baggie then let her go? no more handling then lifting it to take a pic or 2? If you guys kill them,...and I know this may sound odd,..but why not bring the truck load of Fresh Dead Fish down to Erindale and just put up a sign "Free Fish' maybe there will be less snagging? I mean there are coutless people that eat them anyways....Barf as it is...just a thought

Curious, is it Illegal to lift a loose Chiney and collect the eggs in a baggie then let her go? no more handling then lifting it to take a pic or 2? If you guys kill them,...and I know this may sound odd,..but why not bring the truck load of Fresh Dead Fish down to Erindale and just put up a sign "Free Fish' maybe there will be less snagging? I mean there are coutless people that eat them anyways....Barf as it is...just a thought

I don't think it's illegal, maybe unethical to some tho....

I dig the idea of bringing the dead fish down to Erindale and we`d be glad to provide them to anyone who wants to pick them up and drive them down. The Ringwood volunteers don`t have time or energy left to pull it off though!

Edited by Glenn Anderson

Stonefly,did you ever meet the big guy that lived on the Pine?Big ol burlly type.

Funny you mention about 20 years ago,as this is when he had a run in with a bunch of night baggers.He took some lumps,but managed to call the police and they were caught. One year later,the pine was closed off in this area. To bad. Some nice pools and good fishing.

another place is old mill / humber river when i went there last week to walk the dog on the trail wow that place is jammed packed there is a sign no fishing at dam and people are fishing there

Edited by E30Nigel

Stonefly,did you ever meet the big guy that lived on the Pine?Big ol burlly type.

Funny you mention about 20 years ago,as this is when he had a run in with a bunch of night baggers.He took some lumps,but managed to call the police and they were caught. One year later,the pine was closed off in this area. To bad. Some nice pools and good fishing.

No I dont think so, I was 17 at the time and my memory is a little Foggy, lol. It was near Everett if thst helps.

I can't be the only one who sees that as being completely unlikely. :rolleyes:

I hope that all who said that you did not put the dead fish back in the water are going to say, sorry, they were wrong(mistaken)!!!!!!!!!! They seemed so sure it did not happen. :rolleyes:

Are you referring to me? :huh:

Do they slice the fish? :dunno:

I can see where you may have been confused. ;)

Just came back from erindale today. It was my first time fishing the river. Few salmon were being caught, mostly snagged of course. Some nice rainbows are making it up now. This one guy caught a pretty sweet one. Right before I was leaving I saw at least 10 people surrounding the fish in a circle, half with waders half on the rocks tossing their lines right on top of a lonely salmon to snag. It was hilarious seeing that many people chucking their lines getting all tangled up with each other. Most of the living salmon I saw looked horrible. I don't see why people would keep such a thing. The tails were white, it looked like it had been half cooked yet people still took them home.

wow really hot topic! i wonder how many of the salmon actually get to do their business having to fight the current coming up the current and all the anglers attacking them! seems so useless to just cut one up, steal the eggs, and set it to be carried away by the same current it fought so hard to beat. it is sad.

The weirdest thing though, I saw many male carcasses on the shore. Most of them look like they haven't been cut up. Whats up with that? The water dropping is possibility but some are pretty far in. Just doesn't make sense

Guys Salmon die after they spawn, there in the last few days of life right now. The carcasses are from fish who have lived there life, completed the cycle and are now dead and rotting giving there nutrients back to earth. It makes complete sense it's the end of the circle of life for the Salmon

Wow. All this rage over in introduced species that is heavily dependent on stocking. We have Chinooks flooding our rivers in the fall up here too. Fortunately it's not an elbow to elbow snagfest up here. What really bothers me is when I see Salmon crowding out Brook Trout for spawning beds. Brook Trout need very specific areas to spawn upon. Chinnys don't. Several times I've witnessed stocked Chinooks crowding out resident Coaster Brook Trout on a 3 foot square spawning area that the Brookies demand. It's a sickening sight actually. To me anyways. Apparently this is what our fishery has become. Screw the endangered trophy coaster Brook Trout. Because the Pacific Salmon grow bigger and fight harder. And if you've got a $40,000.00 boat, you can go catch them all summer long. Most of us don't own a $40,000.00 boat, hence the snagfest in southern Ontario. Man kinds wisdom has screwed this planet beyond belief. Thankfully I'll live out my life and be content catching natural fish that have been here for tens of thousands of years. I'll be content with that. The rest of you can argue about abusing fish that should have never been here in the first place. Anyone want to buy some scented marshmallows???

Wow. All this rage over in introduced species that is heavily dependent on stocking. We have Chinooks flooding our rivers in the fall up here too. Fortunately it's not an elbow to elbow snagfest up here. What really bothers me is when I see Salmon crowding out Brook Trout for spawning beds. Brook Trout need very specific areas to spawn upon. Chinnys don't. Several times I've witnessed stocked Chinooks crowding out resident Coaster Brook Trout on a 3 foot square spawning area that the Brookies demand. It's a sickening sight actually. To me anyways. Apparently this is what our fishery has become. Screw the endangered trophy coaster Brook Trout. Because the Pacific Salmon grow bigger and fight harder. And if you've got a $40,000.00 boat, you can go catch them all summer long. Most of us don't own a $40,000.00 boat, hence the snagfest in southern Ontario. Man kinds wisdom has screwed this planet beyond belief. Thankfully I'll live out my life and be content catching natural fish that have been here for tens of thousands of years. I'll be content with that. The rest of you can argue about abusing fish that should have never been here in the first place. Anyone want to buy some scented marshmallows???

Very well said Dan! :clapping: