fishing

GBW

This Thanksgiving weekend started off with me going to pick up my grandmother in Markham on Saturday morning to take her up to my parents place (was the cottage now their home). She’s not well and never gets out anymore so this was a big event for her. After a great conversation the whole way to the cottage I told her I would do my best to get her a fresh fish for dinner. Walleye was the target but she said she loves bass the best so, change of plans. So I go to a spot I know holds bass, walleye and the odd musky. I was tossing a 4” YUM MUY Grand grub (in pearl with silver flake) on a bullet jig and swimming it back with a slight twitch every now and then. There were 3 other boats around so the fish were seeing lots of baits, LOL. After about 35 min it was game on! I was casting as far as I could to cover as much water as I could and this fish hits the bait about 4 to 5’ from where it hit the water. This was fish was full of fight and I was thinking “what is it?” It pulled the drag a few times and took two good runs, especially because I had so much line out I had to adjust my drag a bit. This the fish decided to show itself by jumping out of the water about 20’ from the boat “nice looking bass” comes from another boat as they were moving in as they hadn’t seen a fish yet. This fish made my 7’ Med Shimano rod bend over like the Ugly Stick ads. When I finally got it in the boat I took a quick second on the scale, 2LB, 4Oz. Thought to myself, wow that was a heck of a fight for such a small fish! It went on the stringer just in case I didn’t catch another fish so my grandmother would get her treat of fresh fish. Another 45 min went by with no fish landed, just a few short strikes on the tail of the grub making me think the 35” musky is back… I was under dressed so I had to give up and head back to the cottage. Took a quick measure of the fish, 17 ¼” long and weighed it again, 2.4 again… A quick pic and put it back in the lake on the stringer with the full intent that this fish should go back but better check with grandma. The look on her face when I told her I got a bass was one of joy that she’s going to get her first fresh fish in a few years. So back I go to the lake to get her dinner and as I pull the fish out of the water I look in its mouth to see a ½ eaten crayfish with its claws still sticking out. Needless to say, this fish had 3 large crayfish in its belly so if I had a chance to get out again I now know what bait I’ll be using… But this was my only time out in the boat as Sunday was a bad weather day and I didn’t have my float suit with me… All and all, it was a great weekend and I put a huge smile on my grandmother’s face and she got her meal with her family. Thanks for reading and pic’s to follow when I get them uploaded, cheers.

Geoff

Edited by GBW

My Gram's favourite was pike. She'd be happy with anything, but really wanted pike for 'fish head soup". I would bring her a pike and she would get on the phone and razz my great aunt because I had brought home pike and my cousin had not :P Followed up with the suggestion that if my aunt was really nice I might bring a pike or 2 for her as well, or teach my cousin how to fish. :w00t:

Thank you for your report, and for triggering some happy , yet sad, memories.

Good to hear your grandma got her meal. I love happy endings.lol Thanks for sharing.

LOL, I'm happy she did too.

Awesome pics Geoff B)

Thanks for posting them

Jacques

Thanks Jacques, cheers. I hope you found those jig heads too. ;)