best thanksgiving?

goteeboy

went out to my fave lake for some fall musky action. fish or no fish, it was a great way to spend thanksgiving. not much wind, a brisk 4 degrees C. we arrived around 8:30am and had our first fish on about an hour later.

I worked a brand new top water lure that i had just bought on ebay, a ten inch Home Wrecker by Reaction Strike. hey, i sound like a pro bass fisherman making his endorsements. in any case, i went to my usual musky spot that has great structure, great nearby open, deep water, and great weeds. i found a great weed patch and worked the lure parallel to a weed edge in 10fow. i was aggressively walking the dog trying to get a fish's attention. btw, top water fishing for musky is very tiring. there has to be an easier way to do that. after about 20 casts, my biceps were done. anyway, about halfway through the retrieve, she smacked the lure, breached half her body out of the water, and then headed for the weeds. i applied good pressure so she never made it to the weeds and was soon landed. she was 43 1/2 inches, my PB.

later in the day after a morning of casting 5 -10oz lures, we decided to take a break and troll where my bro caught one around 40 inches on a perch patterned jake.

it was an awesome day.

summerfall2009075.jpg

Edited by goteeboy

Guest Johnny Bass

Congrats on your PB. Just keep on chuckin out those heavy lures. Your arms will adapt. You will soon be throwing those lures like they are nothing. Thanks for sharing.

As each year goes by musky lures look smaller and smaller. When casting turn your wrist 90 degrees ( paddles pointing up for right hand crank down for left) this takes the wrist out of the cast lessening fatigue. You can also upgrade on the crank to help pulling in big lures. Congrats on the PB!!