Change for my "Nickle"- Report

JustinHoffman

Hello All,

Spent a few hours today with Dad on a favourite lake of mine. Launched the boat at 10:30am to a mix of sun and clouds and light winds.

Fished my usual high percentage points. Although we didn't catch many today, those that we did were keying in on specific structure areas - namely, wood and docks.

A smallie for Dad..

Bass3.jpg

All fish came on 3/4oz flipping jigs (brown or black and blue). Had a good fish come unpegged at the boat that would of went close to 4 - too bad, as the net man was good and ready..

Best fish of the day was this "near nickle" that smoked a jig that was pitched to a dock. Came from four feet of water over a rock bottom.

4lb 12oz..

Bass1.jpg

Bass2.jpg

Scrappy girl, and once she puts a bit more girth on I won't be needing change from that nickle..

Fun day all around. Man I love fall.

Good Fishing,

Justin

Guest Johnny Bass

Its good to see father and son out fishing and to catch a nice hog on top! I thought 3/4 ounce jig was too heavy for cold and shallow water but apparently not! Will upgrade my arsenal for next year.Thanks for sharing.

Johnny - I switch between 1/2 and 3/4oz jigs during the fall. This particular lake has some deep rock cribs and shorelines, so I want the added weight so my presentation is on or near bottom. Also, if the wind picks up, a heavier jig is recommended.

All of my fish came from water less than four feet deep. When the fish are feeding, they will suck a heavy jig in before it even reaches bottom - just like this dock fish.

Good Fishing,

Justin