Help from any ski-doo experts (Def. NF)

Sandbag

First off...happy thanksgiving to our Canadian members

I have a 1999 Ski doo MXZ 600. On the last couple of rides of the season last year, I noticed a slight squeal from the clutch side of my machine. The squeal only started after riding for 15-20 minutes and would stay for the duration of the ride. If the machine sat for a while and I rode again, it would not squeal until 15-20 minutes into the ride again.

The squeal was only present when the track was turning. ie sitting still and idling I could not hear it. If I lifted the back of the sled and the track was turning, the squeal could be heard. I have picked up new bearings for driveshaft and jackshaft and intend on changing them this week.

My question; is there anything else I should be looking at?

There does not seem to be any diminished performance when the squeal is present, just trying to avoid any mid-season issues.

Thanks for any/all opinions

Cheers

Craig

well, maybe take a look at the belt? maybe somethin to do with the secondary clutch? i'll be replacing all the barrings on my 1981 citation 3500 ss and will also be buying another FASTER sled haha. i also just started up my sled after the winter and she runs great, but anyhow good luck in figuring it out. let me know if you do!

Edited by bigredneck

well, maybe take a look at the belt? maybe somethin to do with the secondary clutch? i'll be replacing all the barrings on my 1981 citation 3500 ss and will also be buying another FASTER sled haha. i also just started up my sled after the winter and she runs great, but anyhow good luck in figuring it out. let me know if you do!

Back in the day the first thing we checked when that happened was the belt. If it's worn there may not be enuf width and it's slipping when the primary and secondary drives are fully compressed. Look for black rubber buildup on the clutch plates and measure the width of the remaining belt compared to a new belt.

If everything seems okay there then I'd look at the bearings on the top of the secondary drive next.

JF

If you use sand paper to clean you clutch plates.

Do not go up and down. If you scratch the plates,rubber build up will

happen quicker.

I use Gunk engine degreaser on my plates and rinse with warm water, alot of warm water.

most likely a worn belt but it can also be worn clutch bushings jack shaft bearing bad motor mounts alignment issues without being there and checking it myself there is so many things it can be.

also do not use sand paper at all to clean clutches use only fine or xtrafine scotchbrite pads and acetone then blow dry

Edited by ecmilley