lake trout limits!

pike slayer

So there was alot of talks this summer about the lowering the limit of lake trout or changing the opening day for them and what not. It was suppose to take place jan.1st. are they actually going through with it? or will nobody know till the new fishing regs book comes out? When does the new book come out again? if they are lowering it i know myself i certainly wont be going for them as much. i'll be targeting walleye, pike, and whitefish more and only targetting lakers from the middle of feb till the middle of march cause that is when a lake here opens and i just slay lakers in there and the limit is already 2 in there with on live bait. anyone have any updated info?

if they are lowering it i know myself i certainly wont be going for them as much. i'll be targeting walleye, pike, and whitefish more and only targetting lakers from the middle of feb till the middle of march cause that is when a lake here opens and i just slay lakers in there and the limit is already 2 in there with on live bait.

If it's C&R, why does a change in limit change your targeting? If they chop the spring out of the season, I don't think I'll ever target them; they are too elusive for my skills at any other time of the year, especially as I don't use a fishfinder or downrigger.

Does any one know if, back in the 1980's, in addition to the licence, you had to buy lake trout tags to fish for them?

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

i hope they go through with it.

i hope they consider changing possession limits for north of the sault...

then i hope they'll change possession limits on brook trout...

sleds, power augers, fish finders and vexilars, etc. make it too damn easy for people!

i feel something should be done as well but i dont think lowering the limits is the right thing to do. i feel they should put a slot size on lake trout and possibly change when the season opens and ends for ice fishing. if they lower the limits on them ppl like myself wont target them as much and target other species more and that wont be good for the other species. i guess only time will tell as to what happens! i have no problem with keeping 3 2-3lb lake trout, any less and its just not worth going for anymore. but will hopefully keep buddies of mine shown here taking home a 21 and a 15lber home! mmmm mmmmm 50year old fat greasy lake trout!

jerks_.php

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

while i don't mind the thought of less tourism, one must appreciate that MANY northern ontario towns are dependent upon resource based tourism revenues...

quite a pickle!

Guest ThisPlaceSucks
haha i like your thinking Dara! sorry gcd!! alot of non-resident anglers abuse our resources, im not saying al but theres a good number that give them a bad name. i tell you if an american asks me for directions, i'll guide them to a mud puddle.

what, like, running over animals intentionally with a pickup?

haha i like your thinking Dara! sorry gcd!! alot of non-resident anglers abuse our resources, im not saying al but theres a good number that give them a bad name. i tell you if an american asks me for directions, i'll guide them to a mud puddle.

oh boy

So Americans are the problem with lake trout numbers in zone #10? I'd be quite enamored to hear the reasoning behind this.

My experiences are that uneducated local people who feel it's their right to take what they want whenever. Though its in your legal right (maybe not possession limits mind you...) to take a lake trout limit twice a weekend or every weekend the entire winter. It still doesn't mean this is right in my mind. I don't begrudge anyone a fish lunch or dinner but watching the same groups do this on the same lakes every weekend seems like the harvest is not sustainable. Never understood why people want to freeze fish and not eat it the same day anyways, but thats a different story all together. Take no more than you need.

In LSPP I've run into US folks only a handful of time and they have always treated our resources as a privilege versus a right. No doubt both residents and visitors need to be reminded of what we have to enjoy in our backyards.

you know don't how bad i wanna tell you off right now dr. :asshat: but i can't, way to try and stir the pot. i try and be nice on here and i just get kicked while im down. i see lake trout as a prize fish not a garbage eating flying rat, i tried to put this behind me and jerks like you bring it back up. i'll make sure i get out lake trout fishing as much as i can this year and i'll make sure i take my limit and make sure my buddies get their limit to! to hell with it!! there was no need for that comment!

Edited by worm dangler

Not sure whats going on up there, but from what I know of the Algonquin Park perimeter Deep River areas, the problem was over harvesting Lake Trout in the Winter. Seems they are easier to catch, but probably the real reason was easier to get to because of the Snowmobile. Maybe a winter band is in order for a couple of seasons before the fishery continues to collapse.

Guest ThisPlaceSucks
i'll make sure i get out lake trout fishing as much as i can this year and i'll make sure i take my limit and make sure my buddies get their limit to! to hell with it!! there was no need for that comment!

very intelligent.

what were you saying about americans abusing our resources?

because given the way you talk about making sure you take your limit, needlessly killing animals etc. i'd rather have americans in our bush than you.

sleds, power augers, fish finders and vexilars, etc. make it too damn easy for people!

kinda like boats, downriggers and underwater cameras eh? ;)

I agree the possession limit should decrease. My feeling is that they will do something with the season to reduce angling based mortality in the winter. Hope they don't cut off any time in the spring or fall though. That would change a few annual trips

I wouldn't object to a decrease limits either. One nice 3-4 pound trout is enough for me :D

alot of resident anglers abuse our resources too dangler

oh and if you want to know a good spot for lakers I can show you a nice puddle to fish in :)

i know there are alot of locals that abuse it to, but i always seem to here stories about americans being caught and big time! like a month or so ago the americans caught with over 75 walleye in their coolers around wawa somewhere and theres countless stories like it and i see it all the time. and my rant with locals is natives bragging that they can keep as many fish as they want and can get away with it, even if they dont actually do it, just the thought bothers me. i personally keep my limit, its not worth getting caught.

Edited by worm dangler

You are aware that most greasers caught in Zone 10 & 15 through the ice are stockers right?

Lake Manitou being the only lake in the area that has a superb native fishery serves as brood stock for a first rate stocking programme in Zone 10.

Thats a bit general for an area the size of 10.

Just like many lakes are stocked, there are many lakes that have solid natural reproduction. I (and the Dr.) fish many lakes that aren't or have never been stocked.

Lakers from inland lakes, having a greater proportion of their diet made up by aquatic inverts are definitely not greasers, as fine eating as specks.

Guest ThisPlaceSucks
You are aware that most greasers caught in Zone 10 & 15 through the ice are stockers right?

Lake Manitou being the only lake in the area that has a superb native fishery serves as brood stock for a first rate stocking programme in Zone 10.

to suggest that a lake on manitoulin island is the ONLY superb lake trout lake in FMZ 10 is grossly inaccurate at best, and incredibly ignorant at worst!

here's a fact sheet on the "naturally subsisting" lake trout lakes in fmz 10, and a little perspective on why the proposed regulation changes have been made.

http://www.mnr.gov.on.ca/264855.pdf

This the one you meant? Your NetFoo is as weak as your argument, my flying airborne stocking stylee mocks your natural style in the last creel census!

It's not for nothing the area is home to the MNR's 2nd largest stocking programme, seeing as how they've even abandoned Haliburton stocking.

I'm all for protecting lakes that are designated as naturally reproducing and preserving their strains, at the same time not curbing opportunities on lakes that are stocked.