"fall bass fishing is the best" ????

splashhopper

I see all kinds of reports of good sized bass being caught the last week or so and am puzzled.

The fish I am catching lately are fewer and smaller than in September.

I have slowed the presentation down.... wacky rigged senko's ... spinners .. cranks etc.

Fishing deeper water ( from shore)

Fishing areas that still have green vegetation.

Fishing heavy structure ( stumps and rocks etc)

No luck so far...

:huh:

I even got SKUNKED on my favorite lake in "Spinnerbait country"

Spinnerbaitking.jpg

But I had the chance to see how fish, that he caught, were tagged and the info collected... I sure hope they don't tag short little white dudes anytime soon :o

Thanks for inviting me Spinnerbaitking.

Wound my way up to to get ready for the morning fish with Twocoda in his neck of the woods to try for soem rainbow trout.

The first place we went to was muddy and CROWDED :angry: ... guys were coming back up from the river at 8 am due to the muddy conditions and lack of fish being caught by anyone.

I asked Twocoda about another place that I remembered from my childhood....

He took me up to a great spot.... no crowds and the water was a nice "tea stain" instead of the chocolate mile we just left :D

Twocoda.jpg

Although we didn't get any fish there, it was exactly the kind of water and quiet that I prefer fishing in.

I appreciate you sharing the locations with me Twocoda...

I got a few more pics for my trip,( but they will reveal the location too well :P to share here) and then headed south to find a safe place to park the van for the night.

Found a 24 hours Timmies.... and had a much needed WARM nap ..

Headed down the highway for some night fishing at another river that I have caught trout at previously.... no luck again... although I did see two guys lose a couple. <_<

Decided to pack it in for the night and drove down to a river I fish alot.... Pulled the van in to Timmies... had a bowl of HOT soup and got back into my WARM sleeping bag for the night.

I awoke to the sound of a BUSY DRIVE THRU at 6 am.... dang.... I was gonna be late... I parked there specifically just in case I slept in like the day before... lol

Got my coffee and muffin and headed down to the harbour for this

Morningharbourshot2009.jpg

It was very cold this morning there with an East wind blowing.... I fish this place a lot and know that if the wind is coming from the east... the fish will not be "on"...

Decided to do some "execu-fishing" and set up a bottom bouncing rig off the wall and got right back in my van to watch ....lol

All in all, the weekend was a poor one for fish landed but a pleasurable one with the company that I had during it...

Thanks guys ( Spinnerbaitking and Twocoda)

Splashhopper

Edited by splashhopper

tell me about it, this weekend was brutal for me as well spent out east fishing the trent system from shore and not a single fish to show for it, i assume the fish have began suspending in open water and have started to move away from summer locations closer to shore perhaps? :dunno:

hopefully shorebound anglers like myself still have a chance at catching some more decent fish before it starts to get REALLY cold

tight lines,

fishindude

Any time Slashhopper...im always fishing somewhere and your more then welcome ...persistence will put chrome on your line ...although the wind was not favorable this outing ...dust off your float reel and practice with it ...once you get onto it ...you will have a whole new appreciation of fighting fish...

Nice morning shot at the harbour ...

Great report and pics splashhopper :thumbsup_anim:

I was out with my daughter Saturday for a couple of hours and didn't even get a sniff :dunno:

Mind you I was testing my new 5" spook that I had made.... this one was not painted.... wanted to see if I could get something interested.

Leechman

Face it Bubba, the only thing you're good at catching is trapped warm water pond fish! ;)

There's a big difference between early fall and late fall fishing! What are the surface temps of the water you're fishing? Mid to low 50's (*F), maybe even high 40's? Bass slow way down when the temps drop that low, they still eat... but not near as much as when the water is warmer, especially Largemouth Bass. I think Smallies are a little more cold water tolerant than Largies.

I have found that Largies and Spotted Bass in my area tend to school up and suspend in deep water when the temps drop into the mid 50's and lower, they find the warmest water they can and hang out there. The fish aren't stupid, they know the water is only going to get colder!

If you want some decent fishing up there right now you should target cold water tolerant species like Perch, Crappie, and Trout!

Live minnows will catch a lot of fish in cold water!

splashhopper.

This week end when i got my largemouth bass

we didnt get much for the houres we put in.

4 bass and 4 pike.

But you have to keep in mind this .

In the bay i was fishing the wind was from the ouest and was pushing on the same shore line all day.

and at that point of the day the bass came in under the log i just happened to be there at the right time.

is fall fishing a myth?

i think its a great time to fish .

1 - the fish are putting on the feed bag for winter.

2- you dont have the HOT weather

3- all the weed are dying making the ambush spot easier to track down.

4- less presure . only the diehard fisherman are out there!

all theres left are logs, rocks , fallen trees , beaver dams .........

if you hit a log that didnt produce come back 1-2 houres later and the nickel might be sitting there that time.

switch the presentation also helps.

Edited by fishing 24/7

splashhopper.

This week end when i got my largemouth bass

we didnt get much for the houres we put in.

4 bass and 4 pike.

But you have to keep in mind this .

In the bay i was fishing the wind was from the ouest and was pushing on the same shore line all day.

and at that point of the day the bass came in under the log i just happened to be there at the right time.

is fall fishing a myth?

i think its a great time to fish .

1 - the fish are putting on the feed bag for winter.

2- you dont have the HOT weather

3- all the weed are dying making the ambush spot easier to track down.

4- less presure . only the diehard fisherman are out there!

all theres left are logs, rocks , fallen trees , beaver dams .........

if you hit a log that didnt produce come back 1-2 houres later and the nickel might be sitting there that time.

switch the presentation also helps.

How about the Depth of water?

I don't own a depth finder or temperature gauge yet.... I am still getting used to having a canoe to even get out to deeper water... :mellow:

thanks

well usualy a fallen tree is close to shore.

but a stump or dead head might be in 15- 10 FOW

and a rocky drop off are still on shore.

you dont need to go deep to find the hogs ...

unless your fishing smallmouth.

then again that pig i got was in 7 FOW.

fallow the wind .

and dont hesitate to come back and hit what seems to be a prime location.

the beast will come guarantied