what to do when there is hunters on the pond????/skunked fishing

skinny

Really common courtesy should just apply to how much elbow room you give a hunter

Usually it does. Sometimes it doesn't. Like in a lot of things. :)

I've had a situation were anglers were actually beneficial on bigger water and respected the area of our set. They kept bumping into birds while fishing, keeping them moving long after they would have settled in for the day. Sometimes the birds they bumped would hit our spread :angel:

Yes, that works in your favour when the area is large. We used to hunt a swampy bay just off a river, and when there was boat traffic on the river that flushed up ducks there was a good chance they would come our way.

I have mixed feelings about this one

maybe the gov. can set out a legal distance to stay away from duck hunters..

and I would think first one on site gets to use the area..

The guideline (I'm tempted to say it's a regulation but it's been so long since I checked) is 200 yards. That's between hunters, which in waterfowl hunting means that blinds or wherever hunters set themselves up should be no closer than 200 yds. Bird shot will not travel that far. But a boat out in the open can disrupt hunting at a greater range than that because waterfowl will shy away from areas where there is movement and activity.

I think both hunters and fisherman have to use common sense in these situations.

Example. I hunt on the North river / Matchedash Bay. The same time hunting season starts, that salmon begin running. The first time I hunted there, I set up right on the river. Soon after I had fisherman trolling spoons through the centre of my decoy spread.

I couldn't get mad at them, because I was taking up half the river. I didn't know the boat traffic would be so high. I didn't do that again. I now set up off the beaten path, and far away from any fisherman on the river.

Like others have said. Those hunters were there hours before you, setting up, and preparing for the hunt. Just having fisherman in the area can wreck the entire day for the hunters (in a small pond situation).

If you see hunters, give them a large amount of distance. They deserve it for their efforts.

Uh, the exact same part of the Act applies to fishing as well. So how dare your hunting activities interfere with anybody that wants to fish the same pond!

quite simple really....first come first serve. neither gets priority over the other. unfortunately there are many idiots (both fishermen and hunters) who seem to lack common sense...

if i were to come up to a pond/small lake with people fishing nearby id ask if they were getting anything, checkout the area for birds, and be on my merry way.

There's something very simple of course that separates hunters and fishermen in the cold fall weather --- the hunters are usually out at dawn and dusk, but not many fishermen. When you're hunting waterfowl on small water (mostly puddle ducks), the first and last hour of daylight are the best times for activity. Other than that, it's actually a bonus for the hunters if fishermen move the ducks around a bit.

Uh, the exact same part of the Act applies to fishing as well. So how dare your hunting activities interfere with anybody that wants to fish the same pond!

Really common courtesy should just apply to how much elbow room you give a hunter, common courtesy generally being the range of #4 shot from the hunters location!

If the hunter is already there, he is hunting. If you are just getting there, you are not fishing, you only wish you were.

PS, you want to stay a lot further than the range of no 4 shot

Well, if I was going out duck hunting, and there was a fisherman fishing away on the same spot I wanted to hunt, I keep on truckin. I would appreciate the same common courtesy while I'm hunting. I've had plenty of fisherman come around while I was set up waiting for ducks. If they get a little close, I will motor out and let them know. I'm nice about it, and usually, they just didn't know any better and appreciate me coming out to talk.

S.

Playing devils advocate. Say, I drive two hours to my fav musky lake to find out that hunters are stationed all around the bays that hold fish. Am I supposed to drive away and come back when I can get another day off. The hunter can interfear with my fishing but I can't fish the lake when he is around? Whats fair about that! I would be tempted to fish a hundred yards out of his range no matter what it did to the ducks. He can still hunt and I can fish, fair is fair.

Edited by fishermccann

Well, if I was going out duck hunting, and there was a fisherman fishing away on the same spot I wanted to hunt, I keep on truckin. I would appreciate the same common courtesy while I'm hunting. I've had plenty of fisherman come around while I was set up waiting for ducks. If they get a little close, I will motor out and let them know. I'm nice about it, and usually, they just didn't know any better and appreciate me coming out to talk.

S.

Well said Shane.

We had that happen on Little lake here. 2 hrs into daylight the fisherpeople were starting.They came close,but I stood up and waded out. Didnt need to say a word.Maybe it was the shotgun in hand.LOL Really, they knew we were hunting and were on thier way.

Then theres the dinks that put thier decoys out the night before.We were set up,they arrived.We yell,someones here already,they say,our decoys are here.I say,not anymore.LOL

Playing devils advocate. Say, I drive two hours to my fav musky lake to find out that hunters are stationed all around the bays that hold fish. Am I supposed to drive away and come back when I can get another day off. The hunter can interfear with my fishing but I can't fish the lake when he is around? Whats fair about that! I would be tempted to fish a hundred yards out of his range no matter what it did to the ducks. He can still hunt and I can fish, fair is fair.

But ,you would be putting yourself in danger. You know they are there,you just admitted it.They were there before you.

S.

Had it happen to me a couple times. Those hunters are usually wearing camo and being super quiet. I'll be fishing along and next thing you know I hear gun shots real close by. I might see them then, or sometimes I still have no idea where they are as they are so well hidden. Hunters have to understand that fishermen that don't hunt don't know one good hunting spot from a bad one. We are mostly just looking at the water not the surroundings. At least speaking for myself, I am usually very unaware of my surroundings on everything above the waterline.

But ,you would be putting yourself in danger. You know they are there,you just admitted it.They were there before you.

Being there first has nothing to do with it . I am allowed to fish that water just as much as they are to hunt it. 100 yards outside their range should not put me in danger, unless they are going to hunt me down while I troll back and forth with my Muskie plugs.If they do that and the cops are called who is going to be in trouble, the guys with unsafe firearms handling I would think.

unless they are going to hunt me down while I troll back and forth with my Muskie plugs.If they do that and the cops are called who is going to be in trouble, the guys with unsafe firearms handling I would think.

You miss my point.

You know they are there,so why would you insist on staying there?Even if you were 100 yards from thier range.

Seems silly to me. I know if an angler was on a spot I wanted to fish,I would just be on my way.Come back when he,s not there.

I guess ethics comes to mind.From both sides.

Edited by misfish

I would want to stay there because that is where the fish are. Just because you put out a bunch of decoys does not mean you can control the lake.I share my fishing spots with other fishermen all the time we all do. I just dont think that duck hunters should be able to control how others use our resources even if they have a gun.Our cottage lake is small, does that mean while there are hunters on it we should not fish, and no I am not anti anything.

Edited by fishermccann

Just a point of interest, if you stop and talk with a hunter some CO's will consider you part of the hunt and charge you if you don't have a license.

Uh, no, that's not correct. You would have to have a firearm, in which case you would have to produce a license. Even then however, you would still not automatically be considered part of someone else's hunt.

I really don't know how to take that, coming from someone who removed another hunters decoys.

You seem to have a real problem with duck hunters. I remember a post from you with regards to duck blinds on "your" lake last year. We can all get along just fine, but when a guy comes along with that attitude and thinks he owns the lake, it rubs us duck hunters the wrong way. We can't just pick up our gear and move to another spot like you can to fish. I have no problem with guys fishing while I'm hunting, sometimes it even helps me out. If your going to be an :asshat: about it, then you won't get any respect from me at all.

There are guys who would sit and fish in front of my decoys just to piss me off on purpose. There's nothing I can do about it, and getting angry isn't going to solve anything, so I just pour a cup of tea and take in the scenery until they're done.

In order to be charged for interfering with a lawful hunt, you would have to be waving a flag, or blowing a horn in order to scare away my birds. Just being there fishing isn't against the law, its an ethical decision made my the fisherman. If he has any ethics at all, he'll respect my space, just as I would his. I had guys fishing in front of my decoys today. I gave the guys a friendly wave, and they carried away along the shoreline casting as they went. If they were to sit in front of me, interfering with my hunt, I would go and talk to them. In most cases when fisherman are that close, they just don't understand duck hunting, and a friendly chat will usually get them moving along. I've even sent guys to better spots than in front of my blind. One time I gave a couple guys a couple waypoints to try. If I was to go out and be a tool about it, I'm sure it would only make them want to sit there and mess up my day..................whats the point in that? I'd rather pull my gear and head home. I'm out there to enjoy the day, not argue with a fellow fisherman. Its better to give them the benifit of doubt, and have a friendly chat, than to assume they are there to screw your hunt.

There are bad apples in every group though, so sometimes both lose. I can be a real :asshat: too, but I would need my buttons pushed before I stooped to that level.

S.

Uh, no, that's not correct. You would have to have a firearm, in which case you would have to produce a license. Even then however, you would still not automatically be considered part of someone else's hunt.

I don't know where you come up with some of the stuff you post. I'm sorry if I offend you here, but you need to get your facts straight. You don't need to have a gun to be charged under the fish and game act, but it would take a real jerk of a CO to charge someone with something like that.

S.

I fish a area where a lot of hunters are this time of year there is a understanding that we fish down river from them and they hunt up river from the boat launch well this past weekend it could have been ugly I was sitting about 20' down river from the launch waiting for Slowpoke to get there when I heard shots from behind me then the BB's were hitting the water 10' away from my boat I was not happy at all as these GOOFS were hunting way to close to spots that people both hunters and fisherman launch there boats from and parents have there kids at the launch to fish also if they were to shoot in the wrong direction then some people could have been hit and made things very bad.

Now for the rest of the day many boats were fishing right in front of the hunters that also did not sit well with my self (they were bugging the ones fishing up river) as we usually have no problems and if for some reason you come up on a person hunting and did not notice there decoys just keep going and wave say sorry and stay away it is just respect for each other out there we are all just trying to get away from the rest of the world and do something we can enjoy.

I hope everyone has a safe fall hunting and fishing and try to remember we are just trying to get away from the real world of working our life away and enjoy nature if ya shoot a bird or catch a fish it all a bonus.

Cheers

I don't know where you come up with some of the stuff you post. I'm sorry if I offend you here, but you need to get your facts straight. You don't need to have a gun to be charged under the fish and game act, but it would take a real jerk of a CO to charge someone with something like that.

Lookin' for a scrap tonight are we? :D

Just a point of interest, if you stop and talk with a hunter some CO's will consider you part of the hunt and charge you if you don't have a license.

What's a CO going to charge a fisherman with if he stops to talk to a duck hunter? The whole premise is ludicrous, so I'm not sure what ruffled your feathers, Sinker.

Edited by Jocko

Lookin' for a scrap tonight are we? :D

What's a CO going to charge a fisherman with if he stops to talk to a duck hunter? The whole premise is ludicrous, so I'm not sure what ruffled your feathers, Sinker.

I'm a lover, not a fighter, Jocko.

You have be careful what your writing sometimes. There are people who really don't know, and when you post things your not sure about, they could get themselves into trouble by taking your advice. Even worse, they could tell someone else, and get them in the same trouble. If your not sure, don't put it in writing, that's all.

If a CO wanted to be a real jerk, he could charge my son for blowing a duck call, or even retrieving a dead bird. I know, its ludicrous, but it could happen. Even taking my son out bunny hunting, and getting him to jump on the brush piles makes him involved in the hunt without a hunting license.......which in black and white is an offence. The chances of any of that happening are pretty much zero, but by the word of the law, it is an offence. I would never let it stop me from taking him out, and I would fight it tooth and nail if it ever did happen!

BTW, there is no set distance between hunters with regards to duck blinds, or fisherman. Its common sense, mixed with a bit of common courtesy. The problem is common sense and courtesy aren't so common anymore. Once either party gets upset, things go south in a hurry. We're all better off to just get along, and educate each other with a friendly conversation. What ever happened to the days when you'd see another party of hunters, and make a point of unloading and stopping for a friendly visit? These days, most people think the worste of everyone. I don't get it?? When I see a group of guys coming into the marsh I'm hunting, I'm more than happy to have a chat......there is too much attitude these days.

MrEh, the fella's that fired shot in your direction are 10% of hunters that make the other 90% of us look bad. I would NEVER fire a shot in the direction of a boat. I don't care if they're 10 yds, or 100yds from me. Those are the same guys who think they can kill ducks at 100yds, shoot birds they can't retrieve, and probably break a few other rules too. There are bad apples in every group, its the 10% of idiots who wreck it for the rest of us. I hope it didn't ruin your day.

S.

You have be careful what your writing sometimes. There are people who really don't know, and when you post things your not sure about, they could get themselves into trouble by taking your advice. Even worse, they could tell someone else, and get them in the same trouble. If your not sure, don't put it in writing, that's all.

I'm sure enough, in response to the specific quote. You're reading all kinds of things into the scenario that just aren't there. That may be what got you into lecture mode.

Again the quote:

Let's make this even more hunting specific. I'm out bird hunting and I happen across a deer hunter and stop to chat.

"You're out for deer? What area are you covering?"

"From the hydro line over to the big swamp."

"OK, I'm out for birds, and I'll make sure to stay out of your way. Good luck"

What's a CO going to charge me with?